Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is a uniform Rate?

Need help

Comments

• Options
    In relation to?
  • Options
    Does water temperature increase at a uniform rate when heated with a bunsen burner?
  • Options
    Seriously? No offence - how old are you?
  • Options
    It means steadily, i.e. at an equal rate of increase per unit of time
  • Options
    Depends who the brass is
  • Options
    Does water temperature increase at a uniform rate when heated with a bunsen burner?

I think the answer is no, but it's a long time since I studied thermodynamics. From memory it might be the second law of thermodynamics that you need.

• Options

I think the answer is no, but it's a long time since I studied thermodynamics. From memory it might be the second law of thermodynamics that you need.

It's definitely no - as the water heats, more collision causes more reactions - ergo the temperature rate increases faster.
  • Options

It's definitely no - as the water heats, more collision causes more reactions - ergo the temperature rate increases faster.
    Hahaha i think this might be getting a bit to complicated for my son
  • Options
    Cheers for all the Answers
  • Options

In that case tell him a) to do his own homework and b) that it heats on a parabolic curve, as Leroy explained.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

In that case tell him a) to do his own homework and b) that it heats on a parabolic curve, as Leroy explained.

lol
  • Options

More reactions of what? If water molecules don't react with other water molecules and even if they did, that would only be true if it was an exothermic reaction, it could be an endothermic reaction in which case the temperature would drop.

From memory, liquid water heats uniformly as it takes a certain amount of energy to raise it's temperature by 1 degree and the amount of energy is uniform, so as long as the bunsen burner provides a steady amount of energy the water will heat uniformly. However, once it reaches boiling point it will stay at 100 deg C (at standard pressure) until it has all evaporated. If you are trapping the steam then once it's all evoporated it will carry on heating beyond 100 deg C. The same is true of the transition from ice to liquid water.

I'm presuming Colts is just dealing with water in it's liquid state though.

• Options

Okay, ignore everything I just said (well most of it - the bit about reactions is right) a significant portion of my A-Level chemistry and Physics seems to have been pushed out the back of my memory banks.Idiot.

Read this Colts, it might help.

• Options
    I asked a "lady" i know about a uniform rate she said it was an extra £50 ?
  • Options
    Depends who the brass is
    You'd need to ask Max Moseley about that!
  • Options
    I asked a "lady" i know about a uniform rate she said it was an extra £50 ?
    LOL!

• Options
    From Exothermic_Addick:

"........that would only be true if it was an exothermic reaction, it could be an endothermic reaction in which case the temperature would drop."

I used to know a lot about art and gardening too.

:o)
  • Options
    As Homer Simpson said Oggy - "Each time I learn something new it pushes something old out of my brain!". In my case, stuff seems to be dropping out even if I try really hard not to learn anything new.
  • Options
    Lol.
    D'accord, Exiled.

Agree entirely!
  • Options
    it doesn't cool at a uniform rate, hence the cooling curve of water