Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Anyone watching this Ireland v Scotland game? Apart from the fact that it's another embarrassingly small crowd, what on earth is going on at the left hand side of the ground?

Three or four tiers all the way around, but then something resembling Gresty Road at the other end. Looks like they just gave up and built a glass wall. Bizarre.

Comments

• It looks crazy but apparently it opens up to a view of the city centre. Interesting architecture but not sure about the practicality!
  • Says on Wikipedia that it is "due to the proximity of housing". Not sure why they didn't just knock the houses down, I mean, it's not as if they have a shortage of available housing in Ireland at the moment - there's whole estates sitting there empty and never been lived in.
  • That end has to be like that due to it's close proximity to local housing.
  • It begs the question why build the bloody stadium there if that is the case... nobody does it like the Irish!
  • It's big enough as it stands. The biggest issue is how much tickets tend to cost.
  • It's big enough as it stands. The biggest issue is how much tickets tend to cost.
    Well, it's certainly big enough for this poxy little tournament they're running that nobody is interested in.

But my original point was that it just looks a bit weird. More than a bit in fact!
  • some of the most disproportionate grounds in England in my opinion
    Bradford for its 2 halves http://www.footballgroundguide.com/bradford_city/
    Crewe for that beast along the side http://www.footballgroundguide.com/crewe_alexandra/
    Tranmere for the kop http://www.footballgroundguide.com/tranmere_rovers/
  • And Newcastle Folev, that has to be one of the most lopsided grounds around. Not that the stands on two sides are small, just that the other two are unbelievably big. Like watching a game of subbuteo from up the back there.
  • Personally I really like it. Wall of glass. Clever way to get round planning issues and makes it a unique stadium-not another Emirates identikit!
  • And Newcastle Folev, that has to be one of the most lopsided grounds around. Not that the stands on two sides are small, just that the other two are unbelievably big. Like watching a game of subbuteo from up the back there.
    I remember when Graham Stuart scored up there, Wyn Grant was in the ground, apparently he had to call someone to find out who had scored the field of play being so far away
  • Sponsored links:

• Houses are close by so the roof slopes down to allow them sunlight, there's also a glass wall above the away end. There's a similar thing with the slope in away end at Notts Forest.

Personally I like it, it's different to the dull bowls you get at most modern grounds.
  • Rob Earnshaw has urged Nations Cup organisers to "look at" revamping the
    tournament after just 529 fans watched Wales beat Northern Ireland.

And you think our away numbers are bad
  • Personally I really like it. Wall of glass. Clever way to get round planning issues and makes it a unique stadium-not another Emirates identikit!
    Same here, nothing worse than a new stadium that has Riversideitis
  • edited May 2011
    It's big enough as it stands. The biggest issue is how much tickets tend to cost.
    Not really, the Aviva is used for rugby as well and they'd easily sell 80,000 a game for that (like they did when in Croke Park) for the big International football games Croke Park was selling out as well.
    It begs the question why build the bloody stadium there if that is the case... nobody does it like the Irish!
    The Ground was there going back years and years, first football game was played there in 1926. FAI Didn't really have the money to go relocating else where (as they share with the IRFU), trying to build a new stadium in Dublin City would be crazy expensive, where the ground currently stands it's easily accesible with public transport.
  • It begs the question why build the bloody stadium there if that is the case... nobody does it like the Irish!

Except the English with Wembley that is.....
  • Houses in Lansdowne Road cost a fortune and are sought after. The rule of ancient lights applies here too. New buildings can't block light to old.

It used to be an open terrace without seats or roof so it is an improvement.

Except the English with Wembley that is.....
    Was going to say just the same thing.
    Says on Wikipedia that it is "due to the proximity of housing". Not sure why they didn't just knock the houses down, I mean, it's not as if they have a shortage of available housing in Ireland at the moment - there's whole estates sitting there empty and never been lived in.
    I'm sure you'd feel just the same if someone wanted to build a stadium next door to your house and they offered to move you to a completely different part of town.