Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

More Magnificent Gurkha Bravery

Comments

• Options
    Incomprehensible bravery.

Running out of ammo having to beat attackers back with the gun-mount... and living to tell the tale. Deserves recognition, as do all our servicemen and women who are all heroes in their own right.
  • Options
    Incomprehensible bravery.

Running out of ammo having to beat attackers back with the gun-mount... and living to tell the tale. Deserves recognition, as do all our servicemen and women who are all heroes in their own right.

Yes. I totally agree.
  • Options

Ghurkas are nails.

Seconded.

• Options
    I am astounded. This soldier got the SECOND highest bravery medal. WTF would he have had to do to get a VC.
  • Options
    Still only a Corporal too - you'd think the army would recognise that kind of bravery with a promotion and payrise which might in the nicest possible way mean more to him and his family than a medal.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am astounded. This soldier got the SECOND highest bravery medal. WTF would he have had to do to get a VC.

Not have won.

Beyond the fact he's still alive, only 13 VC's have been awarded post WW2.
  • Options
    Didnt that Rebecca Loos get Victoria Cross?
  • Options

Not have won.

Beyond the fact he's still alive, only 13 VC's have been awarded post WW2.

Well I would like to see a braver man !
  • Options

One of his fellow country men won a VC holding back a massive attack of Japanese . His mate was killed next to him almost straight away.He then got his arm blown off by a grenade,but with one arm he managed to stop the attack.When he was relieved there were 30 dead enemy in front of his fox hole,

Was watching one of those  History progs last night about Iraq. Was about US Marines. THis group went into a hse full of Chechen insurgents--top boys, The Yanks got out quick but one got hit with a grenade and went the wrong way against a locked door. He has no chance and all his buddies where on the out side. His corporal just ran straight through the door !!! landed on the other side and pulled him out. He couldnt have known if he would actually get through that door or what was on the other side waiting. No idea if he won a medal----but thats bravery.

• Options
    My grandad bless his soul, died five years ago aged 91. he was as soft as with his family, but woe betide anyone that ever crossed him. he was 5' 1, but to me he was always a giant of a man, due to the way he conducted himself. he told me very little of the details of war whilst fighting and then peace keeping out in Burma, but what he did tell me, was that the Gurka's are men that fight with honour and are to be respected. FACT. Respect to Cpl Dun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My grandad bless his soul, died five years ago aged 91. he was as soft as with his family, but woe betide anyone that ever crossed him. he was 5' 1, but to me he was always a giant of a man, due to the way he conducted himself. he told me very little of the details of war whilst fighting and then peace keeping out in Burma, but what he did tell me, was that the Gurka's are men that fight with honour and are to be respected. FACT. Respect to Cpl Dun.
    I'm a member of littlestone golf course and we have final qualifying for the open the week before the open itself. I am doing a bit of stewarding there for it (probably get the car park). The gurka's are doing the security and the cooking for the pros. Feel very honored to stand alongside these men. Scum get allowed into this once great country but true defenders of the crown have to rely on Joanna lumley to get the right to live in the country they've served with such honour.
  • Options
    He would have to be British!
  • Options
    edited June 2011

• Options
    He would have to be British!
    Err .... no - he wouldn't.
    FFS, I was being sarcastic, as we know the Gurkas get a bum deal because they are not British, yet they serve our country the same as British soldier. If he was British he would have got the VC for his actions!
  • Options
    edited June 2011

• Options
    What's with the "FFS"? Chill the f**k out homie.
    Oh the irony!
  • Options
    edited June 2011

• Options
    What's with the "FFS"? Chill the f**k out homie.
    Oh the irony!
    I was being sarcastic. Geddit?
    Bored Now!
  • Options
    edited June 2011

• Options
    Well done chaps.
    Reduced a thread on one man's bravery to two fools sniping. Sad.

For anyone interested in the reason that Gurkha soldiers have different rates of pay then the tri-partite agreement goes some way in explaining this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain–India–Nepal_Tripartite_Agreement

Generous allowances given by the British Army help reduce the effects of low basic pay.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done chaps.
    Reduced a thread on one man's bravery to two fools sniping. Sad.

For anyone interested in the reason that Gurkha soldiers have different rates of pay then the tri-partite agreement goes some way in explaining this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain–India–Nepal_Tripartite_Agreement

Generous allowances given by the British Army help reduce the effects of low basic pay.

Floyd, I dont remember insulting you, I believe you owe me an apology!

• Options
    Still only a Corporal too - you'd think the army would recognise that kind of bravery with a promotion and payrise which might in the nicest possible way mean more to him and his family than a medal.
    In due course his award will tip the scales when promotion boards sit and consider candidates.

Rest assured, the medal will mean more to him, his family and his village than any promotion.
  • Options
    Floyd, I dont remember insulting you, I believe you owe me an apology!

Dont see why, but OK.
    Harami manche
  • Options
    Floyd, you're right. Apologies.
  • Options
    No worries.
    Had the honour of paying a Gurkha VC winner his pension many years ago, so probably over-touchy about things. I'll go for a run and calm down now!
  • Options

Yes of course we only give VCs to Brits !

last one went to an Aussie

the one before that went  to a guy from the West Indies.

• Options
    Thought the last 2 went to Aussies, then a Maori after Johnson Beharry.
  • Options
    I had the honour to meet an ex Gurkha recently at a business function. This quiet man carried himself with great dignity without any sign of arrogance or show about him. I shook his hand and thanked him for what he and his colleagues have done in the service of our country. 

My father was in the RAF in India and Burma in WW2 and beyond. He had nothing but huge respect and admiration for these gallant men. Long may they continue to serve our nation.