Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bougherra

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
"Bougherra is a buccaneer. He plays football with style and child-like enthusiasm. A brief ride through YouTube reveals clips aplenty of his dogged refusals to hoof the ball clear. Instead he brings it instantly under his spell before nonchalantly flicking it over one onrushing attacker, megging another and storming upfield like the love-child of Bobby Moore and Socrates.

What those clips fail to show is his defensive partner launching into a last-ditch tackle only seconds later, relieved to concede just a corner before turning to find Bougherra, distant, stranded and slightly bemused as to how it all went wrong. They call him Magic, partly due to his tricks but mainly due to his disappearing. Such recklessness is barely acceptable when poncing about in the Championship, but in the brutal world of the Premiership is likely to leave your team defeated, your manager vexed and Alan Hansen speechless.

Bougherra is probably the most entertaining defender in the country, but Charlton need points not laughs. He will be a revelation in the Premiership, a delight for the neutral. Charlton fans, however, might be watching through their fingers."

LINK: www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=4146

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like another Elk!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sounds like another Elk!
    you beat me to it!
  • Options
    Yeah you can just see Elk having a shot rebound off Bougherra, then they both turn round and wave to Carson 70 yards away!
  • Options
    once again written by some1 who's never actually seen the boy play (really pist me off this morn reading that, clearly the guy has only seen youtube along with the vast majority of ppl)

he really doesn;t go maroding up the pitch that often, did at crewe (poor opposition), rairly at wednesday (betta opposition that when he played at crewe) and he'll hardly end up doin it at ours, more often he'd play the simple ball out to feet 2 never hoof it and hope.
  • Options
    very doubt we'll have a central 2 of bougy and el kak, would b slightly suicidal
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]very doubt we'll have a central 2 of bougy and el kak, would b slightly suicidal

First you reassure us, scruffle, then you go and reinforce all the worries!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]he really doesn;t go maroding up the pitch that often, did at crewe (poor opposition), rairly at wednesday (betta opposition that when he played at crewe)
    ... but he played in the Championship for both teams?
  • Options
    i just don't rate el kak in the slightest, and it is true both are quite attack minded defenders, i mean you'd hate to have to ferdinands at the back wouldn;t you?? (well i would anyways)

but atleast bougys got genuine pace, there's not many attackers that'd pull away from him
  • Options
    ok opps sorry didn';t realise crewe were stil in champ then, only known much bout him since wednesday bought him, assumed wrongly
  • Options
    Bougherra sat 3 seats from me at the back of the lower west stand on Saturday. He arrived in an old blue anorak and tracksuit leggings - but re-appeared after half time in a fresh, new CAFC top and training leggings! Thing that most impressed me was his concentration on the game...barely took his eyes off of the action! Hope he keeps his eye on the action when he's on the pitch. A few people gestured for his autograph (don't think his English is up-to-much) and he still didn't look away...seems very intense!