Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1 disappointment on saturday

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
was the guy at the front of the lower north to the right of the goal, in the front row in a charlton shirt with a kid to the left of him and a guy in a black coat the other side of the kid

when chelsea were down our end taking corners, he was shouting at ballack and doing a "finger under his nose and a salute" hitler style

i'm not one for stitching up your own fans, and more likely to sit there and do nothing, but this guy really riled me. thats despicable, and next to a child for gawd sake. surprised no one around him said anything, although not sure i'd have if i sat near him. if you pipe up these days you end up getting more trouble than you bargained for

anyone else see him?

Comments

• Options
    lol, thats funny tho sooz!! he should of done the full Basil 'funny hitler walk' Faulty! ;-)
  • Options
    Was it Freddie Starr?
  • Options
    sorry, i don't find it very funny.

if people think i've had a sense of humour failure, so be it.
  • Options
    talking of Ballack anyone else think the only difference between him and Bryan Hughes is about 120k pw.
  • Options
    and a foot in height. the geezer is massive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]sorry, i don't find it very funny.

if people think i've had a sense of humour failure, so be it.

sooz, didnt the ;-) give it away! i was only jokin doodette!
  • Options
    i thought the chant "what a load of Ballacks" was brilliant
  • Options
    And what about when Shevchenko went off...'What a Waste of Money'
  • Options
    I dont think it 's funny either Suzy
  • Options
    I gave that chef shenko nob loads greif, i wish i was close enough so that he could hear!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]And what about when Shevchenko went off...'What a Waste of Money'

That started in the East, led by me and my 11 year old son!
  • Options
    i also had what could have been percieved as a "sense of humour bypass moment" when a guy a few rows in front of me almost wet himself laughing when his own 5-6 year old son called "chef shenko" a "w++++er"

Some people!

I'm with you Suzi
  • Options
    i'm glad some people agree thought i was the only one!!! i hate getting moany at our own fans, but i just was so shocked by it. wondered if it would be caught on camera as he would have definately been in some shots where he was sitting

there was a little girl sitting behind us at the weekend, so people toned it down a bit. I don't actually usually swear at football that much, as i'm used to sittng with my dad, and out of habit don't shout obsenities at people. my dad used to change the words of insults when i sat next to him so not to offend me or other kids around us

i did have a terrible sore throat saturday night though after all the singing.
  • Options
    I did the Plane thing too, Abusing Germans and others iS funny. IN MY OPINION
  • Options
    So were the west ham fans right to throw paper areoplanes at sasa ilic then??
  • Options
    i can't believe i've just read that! "abusing germans is funny"

you sound like a nice guy!!
  • Options
    Oh Come Off it. So you are telling me you have never laughed at a racist/sexist joke ever? I am a nice bloke and I think chicks are a pain in the arse too!
  • Options
    i'm not professing to never sniggering or even laughing at a joke that is derogatory to someone/thing/race/religion, as I'm sure i do, and without thinking or realising that it is, essentially, wrong. I don't forward 'jokes' of that type tho if i receive them and i especially don't think 'jokes' like that, should be said in front of kids

I do think doing hitler signs at a football match is taking it way overboard
  • Options
    and in front of your own kid too!
  • Options
    Making Nazi jokes at Germans is not at all funny and extremely offensive to modern day Germans who are very embarassed by their past and do not want to be reminded of it. It would not be seen as funny if a German started making jokes about how they bombed London to smithereens in the Blitz would it?

In fact, it should be remembered that a large number of wartime Germans were not even Nazis or even Nazi sympathisers. My Polish Grandfather was on the run in wartime Germany and was helped by many ordinary Germans to evade the Nazis and eventually made it to northern France where he was picked up by the Americans and taken to the UK.

IMO, making Nazi gestures at someone like Ballack is juvenile, offensive behaviour that only serves to re-inforce the opinion that some English people have never really moved on from the end of the war.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no its not....2 world wars and one world cup doo daa doo daa....come on they take themselves so seriously...they bring it on themselves....
  • Options
    ct_addick; I presume you are joking, right?

Quite how does someone like Ballack, who is nothing other than a regulation robotic modern footballer, deserve to have Nazi salutes and Hitler impressions directed at him?

If you want to have a go at Germans for supposedly "taking themselves seriously" then go ahead and do it, that's your right.

However, it is simply not acceptable to make Nazi salutes at someone who had nothing to do with that part of his country's history and is ashamed and horrified at what took place as any of us are.

By the way, I have been around most of Germany and their standards of living and education, especially in the former West Germany, are way above those in most of the UK and they have the little matter of three World Cup Final wins plus another four runners-up appearances to their name compared to our paltry one victory.
  • Options
    In Germany for the World Cup there was warning after warning about the non tolerance of Nazi Salutes.

And still some pissed up England fans did it.

Embarrasing.
  • Options
    rather than be offensive as such, all it does to me is highlight just how stupid some people are.
  • Options
    of course d, i did feel sorry for the child having a parent that is so stupid to want to do something like that, that he'll probably be brought up hating the germans for the exact same reason.

how some people can generalise a whole nation i'll never know.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]In Germany for the World Cup there was warning after warning about the non tolerance of Nazi Salutes.

Embarrasing.

I was in Nuremberg during the WC, a day or so before our match there (I didn't go) and saw a group of English fans loudly and drunkenly singing "Ten German Bombers" and I felt embarassed to be English. Ok a joke and a bit of fun is one thing, but there is a part of the English mentality and psyche that doesn't seem able to move on (and I say English because the Scots/Irish/Welsh don't seem to join in) and so it gets taken way to far.

Most Germans don't remember the war and are now the children of people born after the war and are usually a bit puzzled at the stream of jokes and the ferocity behind the jokes. They've moved on, acknowledged what Germany did but wonder why we haven't, hence they call us "Inseln Apfen" - Island Monkeys.
  • Options
    tell you what was nice, going up to old street on the tube on saturday evening and there were loads of england and scotland rugby fans dressed up with kilts, orange wigs, rugby shirts, and the english in their rugby shirts, all with cans of fosters and all singing each others national songs. long rendition of "sweet chariot" (not that they knew the 2nd verse)

not into rugby at all, but it was so nice to see fans together despite the result enjoying the day out
  • Options
    'scotland rugby fans dressed up with kilts, orange wigs'

There is a limit suze....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]In Germany for the World Cup there was warning after warning about the non tolerance of Nazi Salutes.

Embarrasing.

I was in Nuremberg during the WC, a day or so before our match there (I didn't go) and saw a group of English fans loudly and drunkenly singing "Ten German Bombers" and I felt embarassed to be English. Ok a joke and a bit of fun is one thing, but there is a part of the English mentality and psyche that doesn't seem able to move on (and I say English because the Scots/Irish/Welsh don't seem to join in) and so it gets taken way to far.

Most Germans don't remember the war and are now the children of people born after the war and are usually a bit puzzled at the stream of jokes and the ferocity behind the jokes. They've moved on, acknowledged what Germany did but wonder why we haven't, hence they call us "Inseln Apfen" - Island Monkeys.

generalising a bit aye BFR?? Its not all English are like that! Why do you feel the need to be embarrassed to be English if a minority of drunks are taking the pee? Its genralisation as bad as someone saying about all germans being boring and uptight or whatever!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]tell you what was nice, going up to old street on the tube on saturday evening and there were loads of england and scotland rugby fans dressed up with kilts, orange wigs, rugby shirts, and the english in their rugby shirts, all with cans of fosters and all singing each others national songs. long rendition of "sweet chariot" (not that they knew the 2nd verse)

not into rugby at all, but it was so nice to see fans together despite the result enjoying the day out[/quote]

I generally agree with you Suze. Think the bloke doing the nazi thing should have been out and been given a ban till the end of the season. It's plainly not acceptable anymore. If he did the same gesture at Spuds or an Israeli player is that still a laugh and joke? No, thunk not. People need to grow up. That said, as a half-jock, I'd like to go on record and say if I saw any Scots rugby fans singing Sweet Chariot, that they should be done for treason and hung from the balls. Even if rugby is an effite non-sport, it's lord wrong of wrongtown.