Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Turner Contemporary

Forgive me if this has been discussed before but my husband and I visited the new art gallery at Margate today and were very disappointed.  Neither of us is very arty but we had expected to see more than was on show.  The galleries are quite big but there is hardly anything in them.  It took us about a quarter of an hour to view everything.  As so much money has been spent building it, I hope they start to make better use of the space. If they haven't got enough to fill it why not showcase the work of local artists. We saw more 'art' in the local art shops than there was in this gallery. Each to his own but large empty rooms are not my idea of a good day out.  

Comments

• Options
    I thought Margate had closed down years ago.
  • Options
    Forgive me if this has been discussed before but my husband and I visited the new art gallery at Margate today and were very disappointed.  Neither of us is very arty but we had expected to see more than was on show.  The galleries are quite big but there is hardly anything in them.  It took us about a quarter of an hour to view everything.  As so much money has been spent building it, I hope they start to make better use of the space. If they haven't got enough to fill it why not showcase the work of local artists. We saw more 'art' in the local art shops than there was in this gallery. Each to his own but large empty rooms are not my idea of a good day out.  

The only resident of Thanet I am aware of who actually wanted the thing at all was Tracy Enim!

That said I guess, in fairness,  it is still quite new and "a work in progress" so may yet improve.

I believe some of the space is available to hire for functions which might recoup some of the outlay possibly.

• Options
    Was Tracey there?
  • Options
    No she wasn't - might have been a bit more interesting if she had been!
  • Options

The large empty rooms are the main works and are favourite for the next Turner prize.

The sanctimonious gulible idiots  people who really know about Art would know this and could tell what the artist was feeling at the time and representing. You obviously know nothing about art ;-)

• Options

Are you sure you didn't wander around Dreamland by mistake?

Big shame what's happened to Margate.

• Options

Me thinks discussions on the Turner Contemporary Art are not top of any Spanner message board...

Perhaps Enim and a few of her over educated unwashed over opinionated chattering celebrity piss artists will fill it with pretencious clap trap in the years to come.

• Options
    Spanners are possibly more likely to spell her name right!
  • Options
    she makes me sick up in my mouth
  • Options

By coincidence I went there today, because I had a meeting in Margate. Not really my cup of tea, but I'd agree it is quite sparse considering the amount of time and effort spent. On the other hand, you can see the knock-on effect in terms of regeneration as quite a lot of private and public money has gone into the neighbouring area, And it was very busy for midweek.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spanners are also possibly better with finger painting as well Floyd
  • Options
    she makes me sick up in my mouth
    Funny you should say that...........many years ago, i threw up on her at a local party. she was there with her boyfriend at the time, Billy Childish who was a mate of a mate. He found it amusing, unlike dear tracey. ;-)
  • Options

I don't think there is a problem about having enough art to fill the gallery ME14, galleries from London & elsewhere will loan work.   
    I think the building looks good, contains some interesting work and will have an excellent effect on an area that was in need of a boost. 

• Options
    She bangs like a shithouse door when the plagues in town, allegedly.
  • Options
    I would have thought that as it has only recently opened it would have ensured that there is enough to provide interest for people like me who aren't normal gallery visitors.  Such people won't go again if they think there is nothing to see.  I agree the building is fine, just needs something in it!
  • Options
    be interesting to see how the hastings project compares when finished
  • Options
    She bangs like a shithouse door when the plagues in town, allegedly.

Praise be to all artisitic women.

Although I think that is the image she likes to promote.

• Options

At last, a decent close-season thread.

Culture, art, urban regeneration, poor taste jokes about the sex lives of award winning contemporary female artists and even anecdotes about puking at parties. Brilliant!

This is more like it Lifers.

I thought I was going to have to top myself if I had to sit through a whole summer of comments on guttering, blinds and dog food.

Not to mention the latest tweets and rumours of non-League no-hopers I have never heard of (who may or may not sign for us) to form the backbone of a completely average mid-table team next season.

More like this please!