Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MLS

We get a variety of weird & wonderful sports broadcast on TV out here, ranging from camel racing to German handball. However, flicking through the channels last night I happened on the last 20 minutes of a live American MLS game, New York v New England. Watching this I noticed a number of interesting things:

Thierry Henry can still dominate games and was by far & away the best player on the pitch,

Defending is pretty basic and at times non-existent in this league,

Wayne Rooney's 20 year old brother, John, came on as a substitute in the last 10 minutes & looked quite handy. How on earth did he end up playing for New York?

When the referee marched the defensive wall back 10 metres he marked the distance by putting some white tape down on the pitch. I've never seen this before but it seemed to have the desired effect of stopping any encroachment,

Steve Nicholl, New England manager, has certainly put on some weight since retiring from the game!

Anybody else watched any MLS soccer?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Can't say I watch any whole games, but I did catch this spectacular goal yesterday.

And it's against Kasey Keller, which makes it even better.
  • Options
    I haven't seen it but heard it actually isn't too bad and a lot better than the Australian A-League.
  • Options
    I watched the Seattle V Vancouver game on Sunday morning here in Bangkok. I was really surprised by how entertaining it was. A really good game with some great goals. Made a vow to get up next and watch some more. Worth a watch if you can. 
  • Options
    Can't say I watch any whole games, but I did catch this spectacular goal yesterday.

And it's against Kasey Keller, which makes it even better.
    Looks like the crowd are really in to it!
  • Options
    Went to Chicago Fire v LA Galaxy a few weeks back. Got a shuttle bus from city center - youths chanting on bus and the atmosphere was pretty good. When Fire scored flames leaped 50 foot in to the air behind the goal. The oddest thing was that every season ticket holder was given a free blanket as they came in.
  • Options
    Forgot to say - got a email from Chicago Fire last week asking if I wanted to go to the Man Utd game in a few weeks time - had to point out I was in the UK! That was not as bad as the survey I was asked to take part in that came addressed "Dear Spurs Fan" and which I was disqualified from taking part in once it was established I lived more than 70 miles from San Antonio.
  • Options
    The oddest thing was that every season ticket holder was given a free blanket as they came in.

I think if our board implemented this a large segment of our support would spill the contents of their theromos flasks with excitement (yes it is a euphenism)

;-)

• Options

Wayne Rooney's 20 year old brother, John, came on as a substitute in the last 10 minutes & looked quite handy. How on earth did he end up playing for New York?

He was at Macclesfield as a pro for a couple of years.