Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Graham Hobbins RIP

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Come on wings, let's get that promotion for him.

RIP Graham

from CAFC Website

The son of former Charlton goalkeeper Sydney Hobbins, he collapsed due to a stroke during Welling's FA Trophy match with Worcester City on Saturday, and sadly died in hospital on Monday morning.

"We were terribly shocked to learn of Graham's death," said Charlton chief executive Peter Varney.

"He's always been a great friend of the club, and that dates back to his father as well.

"Graham was pivotal in helping ourselves and Welling develop a particularly good relationship over the past few years.

"They would make Park View Road available for reserve games at short notice, we obviously enjoy the annual pre-season friendly and we have hopefully helped them on a number of fronts in the community and with their commercial work.

"I'd like to offer Welling and Graham the condolences of everyone connected with Charlton."

Sydney Hobbins was one of Sam Bartram's understudies and made just two senior appearances between 1937-48.

But he did represent the Addicks at Wembley, appearing against Arsenal in the 1943 Football League (South) Cup final during the Second World War, a game that ended in a 7-1 defeat.

Graham Hobbins, along with his brother Barry, was responsible for building Welling United into its current strong set-up, with the Wings also this season pushing for promotion to the Nationwide Conference and in the quarter-finals of the FA Trophy.

Unquote

Comments

• Options
    RIP - had a lot of good times down at Park View.

Would be great if they could get back to the Conference this year in his memory.
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=30368

RIP
  • Options
    Very sad,I was speaking to him not so long ago.

RIP
  • Options
    very sad indeed. Crowd were never 100% with him and Barry the whole time, but it wouldn't feel like Welling without the Hobbins. RIP
  • Options
    Sad news - but what an amazing achievement to have built that club up and kept it strong. As Stonemuse says, would be great to see them go up again in his memory. RIP.
  • Options
    I saw him at Lingfield races 2 weeks back....

Best to the family RIP
  • Options
    Sad news indeed - He threw me out of PVR when I was 14 for abusing the opposition keeper!