Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Shearer

Next Cardiff Manager...Didn't see that coming. We're gonna be stuck with the two miserable scouse gits on MOTD

Comments

• You say 'stuck with the two miserable scouse gits' as if Shearer is the better pundit. Shearer must be the least insightful pundit on TV.

Strange move if true. Will be a tough job whoever their next manager is given the number of players that're leaving this summer.
  • I think the Watford should get the job , but please do not take the job
  • watford boss i think will get the job
  • What?
  • the Cardiff job .

I tihnk McKay the Waford manager should get this job.

did well with watford with low budget sorry for the spelling error in the bosses name

• You say 'stuck with the two miserable scouse gits' as if Shearer is the better pundit. Shearer must be the least insightful pundit on TV.

Strange move if true. Will be a tough job whoever their next manager is given the number of players that're leaving this summer.
    At least Shearer smiles once in a while. He's the best of a bad bunch
  • Well yes I agree he is better than Alan Pardew and Ian Dowie

At least Shearer smiles once in a while. He's the best of a bad bunch
    Can't agree, Shearer simply states the obvious
    Lee Dixon is miles better
    as is Pat Nevin
  • Agree. Shearer is an illiterate berk
  • Shearer was a top centre forward but a crap pundit, dull and will be surprised if he's anything other than a disaster at Cardiff.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2011
    A quality forward of his time some would argue the best premier league striker ever.

Unproven at managerial level.

Will it work? If I had to put my cerial killing clown arse on it NO.

So many other options. I would like to see dowie go there so I don't have to see his face every facking week on sky sports.
  • has his old mate bellamy gone back to man city?
  • An ideal fit considering how well he gets on with Bellamy
  • Good on Shearer for having a proper go and not just spending his life sitting on the couch telling others how to do it like Lawrenson, Hansen, Dixon and the rest.

If he fails, so what?

• Why is there still this myth continually perpetuated in the media that good footballers necessarily make good managers... and clubs keep buying it!

The Clough's and Cruyff's are anomalies.

Don't fancy Shearer's chances at Cardiff at all. I think ex-players need to immerse themselves in the game and treat it as an entirely different animal from the other side of the white line. Too many jump headlong from player to pundit to manager when the best managers for the most part took years of studying/training and serving in effect managerial apprenticeships before they hit their prime. Although Guardiola might seem a contradiction to that, even he had a year as B team manager and was fast-tracked into the job unplanned.
  • looks like Bellamy will be heading back to City then
  • Turned it down..................This from BBC:

Alan Shearer will not be the new manager of Cardiff City after holding "unsuccessful" talks with the club.

The ex-Newcastle boss said in a statement: "I can confirm
    that I was one of the candidates that the club spoke to about the vacant
    position.

"During these talks I was most impressed with the vision,
    ambition and determination of the owner Dato Chan Tien Ghee and the
    board.

"Unfortunately, those talks were unsuccessful on this occasion."

The former England captain added: "Cardiff City is a great club and I wish them every success next season."

• Can't stand Shearer. Disliked him ever since we played Newcastle in the cup in 1997 - we were in the second tier and he was at his peak, English football's flagship player. Spent 90 minutes diving, throwing his elbows round and generally cheating left, right and centre.

Will no doubt be back on our screens next season, rambling on about "passion" and displaying absolutely no tacticl insight whatsoever. Would enjoy seeing him fail miserably as a manager.

• He already did fail as a manager at Newcastle 
  • He already did fail as a manager at Newcastle 
    Yes he did, ably helped by Iain Dowie, but he seemed to escape any flack for that and the previous regime got the blame. I'd like to see him given the chance to spend a load of cash, build his own team and then fail miserably.
  • Sponsored links:

• A quality forward of his time some would argue the best premier league striker ever. Unproven at managerial level. Will it work? If I had to put my cerial killing clown arse on it NO. So many other options. I would like to see dowie go there so I don't have to see his face every facking week on sky sports.
    Cerial (cereal)  killer?, are you murdering conflakes?. I agree about him being the best top division striker ever, but a disaster as a manager. Quite amazing that any club would entertain him as a manager after his total flop at Newcastle. He looks good on the touchline though, good taste in suits and shirts and boots
  • When Newcastle were in trouble they called in a club legend with no managerial experience, hoping that he would turn things around. FAIL.

Hope we never decide to go........................................ hold on.................oh shit
  • When Newcastle were in trouble they called in a club legend with no managerial experience, hoping that he would turn things around. FAIL.

Hope we never decide to go........................................ hold on.................oh shit

That's not the best example to give.

What about Bryan Gunn at Norwich who.......................oh wait

• Yes d_bent25 was 100% correct with the Watford manager going cardiff
  • Is he statistically the best EPL centre forward ever i.e. most goals, or just a subjectiove view? Totally over rated by fans and media. I'm with MrLargo on this one and would add that Shearer is one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen.
  • edited June 2011
    @Man_About_Town

He has by far the most goals (260), Andy Cole is in second place with 187, Thierry Henry third with 174.

Just looking at those 3 ratio wise-
    Shearer: 260 in 441 = 0.59 goals per game
    Cole: 187 in 414 = 0.45 goals per game
    Henry: 174 in 254 = 0.69 goals per game

(all these stats from premierleague.com's statistics pages, they're very comprehensive)

So he's definitely up there. Talent wise I'd have to say Henry was the best, but Shearer's longevity was phenomenal.

Have to agree he's one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen. But like Scholes, won't be remembered for being a thug.
  • @Man_About_Town

He has by far the most goals (260), Andy Cole is in second place with 187, Thierry Henry third with 174.

Just looking at those 3 ratio wise-
    Shearer: 260 in 441 = 0.59 goals per game
    Cole: 187 in 414 = 0.45 goals per game
    Henry: 174 in 254 = 0.69 goals per game

(all these stats from premierleague.com's statistics pages, they're very comprehensive)

So he's definitely up there. Talent wise I'd have to say Henry was the best, but Shearer's longevity was phenomenal.

Have to agree he's one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen. But like Scholes, won't be remembered for being a thug.

I don't think many people will remember Paul Scholes for being "a thug" - that's ridiculous.

Sure his tackling was poor but people will primarily remember him for being the best English midfield player of his generation and being a modest, decent and humble man.

• It's quite strange in a way that current strikers (well, all players) get abuse for not getting 'stuck in' (not just by some Charlton fans, of course) but players like Shearer and Kevin Davies are derided as dirty and thugs for doing the exact same thing. I can see the argument that they both took it too far but finding a balance that suits everyone must be a tricky task...
  • @Ormiston

Scholes was one of the dirtiest players in world football. It wasn't a case of "he just can't tackle", he was intentionally going out to hurt opposition players. That makes him a thug in my book. Cracking footballer I agree, but a nasty little buggar too.
  • "Shearer: 260 in 441 = 0.59 goals per game"

Just trying to imagine what 0.59 of a goal scored looks like, as it hits the back of the net?

Remember, Shearer scored 0.59 of a goal EVERY game.