Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Queen Documentary (a week or so ago)

I just watched it, having recorded it a week or so ago. Really brought back some fantastic memories - Live Aid in particular and the Freddie tribute concert to name just two.  Also just the sheer talent that made up the band.

As for Freddie Mercury - like many incredibly talented people, he burned so brightly in a life cut short. 

Had the hairs standing on the back of my neck on a number of occasions.

Learnt a few new things about the band the biggest one being that their biggest selling hit was "Another One Bites The Dust".

Comments

• Options

I watched it, and was almost in tears when they were talking about Freddie and how he just wanted to carry on singing/recording and not make a fuss about it.

How many of the so called "stars" of today would be like it. They are all in it for the fame, cash and maybe just maybe to entertain.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I found it very moving. Incredible that May and Taylor still tour as Queen. 

The list of anthems is stellar.

I remember as a teenager, I would have been about 14 when I mate of mine played me Seven Seeds of Rye and I was hooked. 

I can still remember watching Bohemian Rhapsody on TOTP  - it just blew me away!

• Options
    It was a very good documentary, great unseen footage in it too.
  • Options
    Saw both episodes on 'catch up TV' over the weekend............took me back to my 20's and just loved the music.....was suprised that Bowie and Mercury didnt record under pressure together though....artistic differences?
    What a great loss Freddie was.....I think Queen would still have been at the top even now if he hadn't died!
  • Options
    Sasha Barron Cohen (he of Borat and ali g) is to play freddie mercury in an up and comming film about his life, think its in production now so out either 2012 or 2013
  • Options
    There will never be another Farrokh Bulsara.

They were an amazing band, just sad that i wasn't around when they were touring.

• Options
    Saw them in Hyde Park....... great show.
    Always thought that were a bridge beetween rock and pop. Made some iconic videos, and once met Brian May at Kensington clothes market, on the top floor in the very early 70s. 
    I thought at the time they were quite 'pop'/commercial so was a bit snobby about them...... I was wrong there live shows would stack up against most bands, and Freddie was a great front man, which he showed at Live Aid, I thought one of the best moments of the day, along with U2, and there music seems to  have an enduring appeal, deserve to be recognised as an important band in popular music, which they are!
  • Options
    They certainly stole the show at Live Aid. Freddie in particular was just awesome. When we learned in the programme that he performed against his doctor advice due to a throat infection, that is just incredible.
  • Options

I saw them at Wembley in '86 and that remains the best concert I have ever been too. It was interesting to see that they knew themselves that they were complete crap around '82 (Las Palabras De Amor, Body Language etc) I'd almost given up on them at that time. Brilliant comeback with Radio Ga-Ga and more fantastic suff till the end.

There was and indeed still is such snobbiness about them and their music from the press and rock fans in general. It's almost trendy to knock them. Stuart Maconie, who I really like, winds me up with his constant digs at Queen. I bet all their knockers secretly love them. What's not to like about Queen?

Love to see the Fat Bottom Girls/Bicycle Race promo in full!

I'm a big Bowie fan but cringed again at his Lords prayer moment at the Freddie tribute concert.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Chirps, I agree about the snobbiness. Most of their critics turned 14 and never grew up. The kind of "oh my god they've sold out" mentality usually passes once you've got through puberty.

The shear quality of their work, the energy of their live performances and the diverse talents of them individually marks them out.

I came to them as an out and out rock band but they were so much more than that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always amuses me when modern bands produce a Greatest Hits album after 2-3 studio albums. Queen legitimately produced 3 greatest hits albums over their career and I'm willing to bet that you could put any song from any of those albums on the radio and people would recognise it and know it was Queen. Try saying that for the likes of Back Street Boys!

Biggest regret musically was that I never saw Queen live. If I'd known that the Live Magic tour in the late 80's was to be their last then I would have moved heaven and earth to get a ticket. But, like many of us, I guess I thought there'd always be another chance.

There are a few Queen songs that literally bring a tear to my eyes when I hear them. Who Wants To Live Forever is simply magnificent and Too Much Love Will Kill You sounds very much like a man who is coming to terms with the fact that his body is slowly killing him.
  • Options
    Another round of Queen bashing occurs when anyone mentions the musical We Will Rock You. I've seen it twice. Yes it is a crap thin storyline but if you want to hear all Queens best songs played live and sing along unashamedly with loads of other fans then give it a go. Also gives you a chance to join in the Radio Ga-Ga clap that you so wanted to join in at Live Aid. 
  • Options
    Actually Too Much Love will Kill You was written by Brian May about his marriage troubles and affair with Anita Dobson.

The only songs written with Freddie's illness in mind were "im going slightly mad", "The Show Must Go On" and "Mother Love".

Mother Love is a must listen for all Queen fans.
  • Options
    Actually Too Much Love will Kill You was written by Brian May about his marriage troubles and affair with Anita Dobson.
    Yeah, I heard the original version on May's solo album. But when Freddie sings it it takes on a whole new meaning (and is about 300 times better - Sorry Brian!!).
  • Options
    Saw the documentary too and was very impressed. I've been a Queen fan practically all my life thanks to my Mum, who adored Fred. The Hammersmith 75 concert was good to see again and although it wasn't the full gig it came out well. Its high time the whole concert was released on DVD.

My first ever concert was Wembley 86 and I also went to the Freddie tribute concert in 92. My Dad was lucky enough to attend their last concert at Knebworth in 86.

For me the period I like the best are the 'pre-synthesizer' days between 73 and 80.  I've got a few bootleg tapes of early concerts when they were raw and heavy, with tracks like Father To Son, Liar and Ogre Battle sounding even better live.

It would be fantastic that they did a concert to mark 20 years since the tribute concert next year. I suppose that would mean John coming out of retrirement though, which sadly isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    This is an interesting take by BBC on Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Options

I saw them about 5 times, my first experience was the one that will stay in my mind, it was at the Lewisham Odeon on the Crazy Little Tour of 79, my last was their last, In Freddie Mercury they had what I consider the best rock showman in the business, he would have his audience eating out of the palm of his hand, just the best live shows I have ever been to, great music, great sound and always a decent light show, the total package.

Having seen the original line-up I have no desire to see them in their current form, I think for now they should step away as John Deacon has.

• Options
    Best not mention to BDL about this thread, he gets a bit touchy when Queen Live are mentioned, as he never got to see them...shame
  • Options
    Saw them at Knebworth in 86 I think it was Queens last gig - Utter cack!
  • Options
    To qualify my above comment, it wont let me edit, I cannot stand Queen, and Mercury makes me feel ill. Also I think their music is Pop Rock at best and is soulless!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2011
    To qualify my above comment, it wont let me edit, I cannot stand Queen, and Mercury makes me feel ill. Also I think their music is Pop Rock at best and is soulless!
    If you can't stand Mercury, you wouldn't like them. 

If their music isn't to your taste then there's not much to be said.   

Having watched them live (Not Knebworth) I can only say that they were the antithesis of cack. Anyone I have ever spoken to about them will concede that they were fantastic live and at Live Aid, they completely stole the show.

As for the rest frankly this has always been the charge against them. To me that is the sort of thing I might have said when I was fourteen and idealistic. When I reached a more reflective age of adulthood, I realised that music which I once branded as pop and commercial could also be fantastically will written, performed and true anthems of their generation. Queen fit hugely into that category. They were both a fantastic Rock Band in their own right and creative and talented enough to have produced memorable songs that spanned the mainstream. 

As for Freddie Mercury. When I first heard his voice singing Seven Seas Of Rhye and Now I'm Here - I knew he had a fantastic unmistakeable vocal talent. Nothing that came after changed my view.
  • Options

My first ever concert was Wembley 86 and I also went to the Freddie tribute concert in 92. My Dad was lucky enough to attend their last concert at Knebworth in 86.

I was lucky enough to be at Knebworth too and was also at Live Aid. I wasn't a massive fan but at Live Aid they simply blew me away and knocked the spots off all the other bands that day.  

• Options
    Earls Court in 77 & Wembley Arena in 84.
    Both Brilliant.
  • Options
    To deny Queen's queens seat at the table of great contemporary music is frankly ridiculous.
    We all have our favourites, but Mercury was a great front man, who could stand with the likes of anybody in rock history.
    Elvis, Plant, Rodgers, Lennon,Jagger etc... I am sure will be remembered long into time for there performances and although there may well have been people like Hendrix, Dylan, and Holly to name a few had immense influence on sound, writing and production. I am not going to trot a list of performers and bands, and the ones I cite are just examples, but queen were a great band, and there songs will stand the test of time stacked against some of the artists listed above.
  • Options
    Queen are not exactly the Velvets, but I really like Radio Gaga. Mrs Plum, for whom English is not her first language used to think one song was called 'I want to referee'! Mind you she also thought there was a team called (her first place to live in London) 'Liverpool Street'.
  • Options
    The Velvets? Can you please give everyone an idea as to their contribution to rock music?
  • Options
    By the velvets, I mean the Velvet Underground. One contribution they made (apart from their influence on loads of artists such as David Bowie, who in turn paved the way for the showmanship of Queen) was  to create music that didn't chase chart success but was intended to satisfy themselves first and foremost.
    The Velvet Underground were/are not the only ones of their kind but there is an argument that Punk Rock was hugely influenced by them.
    I mentioned the Velvet Underground not to suggest they were influential, but to reflect on their earthy and uncompromising attitude. They are not even the greatest band ever (Henry knows who they are!!) but I always inwardly smile when the Queen live aid triumph is quoted...and they were excellent...because part of their effort at Live Aid was to regain some popularity after they were roundly condemned for playing at Sun City.