Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Improvement

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
Just trying to gauge peoples opinions on the re build. Evina and Alonso are probably in the unknown category but Sullivan, Hollands and Hayes seem to be quite well known by quite a few on here. Are they better than what we had? I'm assuming the answer is yes but put my hands up to not really knowing. What are peoples views that know a bit about them?

Comments

• Options
    Have to say I don't know a great deal about them- only that Hayes was part of a free scoring Scunthorpe side that were promoted from this league twice.

I think most would agree that the squad we had last year wasn't good enough to get promotion. I wouldn't go as far to say change can only be a good thing, since we could obviously get worse, but I have decided to feel positive about the new additions. Certainly up front we're looking very strong, we just need a couple more bodies in midfield and major reinforcements at the back.
  • Options
    Must confess, don't know either. However, the way I'm looking at it at the moment through my rose tinted specs is:- Evina-good pedigree, well schooled. The Arsenal way is to pass the ball, keep it on the deck. Alonso-limited experience in Prem but 100 games or so in La Liga. Technically sound & can play in the holding role or further forward in midfield. Creativity we've been missing for so long? Hayes-scores his fair share & has a good assists record. Foil for BWP although will be expected to chip in with 15 goals. Done it at this level before. Should be happier now he's back down South. Sullivan-will be our new No 1, impressed with what I've seen so far. Hollands-B'mouth's manager didn't want to lose him. Scores roughly 1 goal in every 8 appearances which could equate to 6 goals in a season. Will be tired most games as is now the proud father of triplets.
  • Options

Well Hayes is better than abbott and adds more 'complete' feel to the front line, looks like he could be the 'glue' of a front line and it will be him and one another up top. Holland is he better than racon/semedo - time will tell, on last seasons perfromances yes but that was his first and only season in League one, but by the looks of it looks more complete midfielder than either racon or semedo. Prtichard is a punt, Harriot's one of our own but if either plays well for 60 minuetes thats already 45 more than Reid managed last season. And in Evina we actually have a left back of our own at the club (I dont count Yoga since he's been injured for the last 18months or so), good pedegree, young, quick and hopefully hungrey, again little punt but all signs look promising. 

Alonso great pedegree and you'd imagine he would add some much needed experience and a sense of 'calmness' to the midfield but again only time will tell.

They all look better options than what we had this last yr but since theyve never played together who knows - if we start with the same 2 CB's we'll be just as much in the shit as last season.

The fact all have been signed on free's, and being on min 2 yr deals if any do perform above expected atleast we'll get a fee for them later down the line!! Looks like good days business to me

• Options
    The only time we have looked effective over last two years is when Akpo or Anyinsah had defenders in panic. Neither BWP or Hayes are over 6 ft so unlikely we will be raining in crosses, nor do we have a Bent type on the shoulder of last man or a big bully. I can' t work out how we are going to play.
  • Options
    The only time we have looked effective over last two years is when Akpo or Anyinsah had defenders in panic. Neither BWP or Hayes are over 6 ft so unlikely we will be raining in crosses, nor do we have a Bent type on the shoulder of last man or a big bully. I can' t work out how we are going to play.
    Is BWP blessed with pace ?

I'm not sure but if he is then he could play on the shoulder as Darren B used to
  • Options
    im going give a go! midfield in to hayes he holds it up then lays it off to winger who crosses for BWP or runners into the box! also hayes is a clever player movement good little clever flick ons etc looking at at the youtube vids put on by a lifer he player football nicely and plays a good though ball then he has turned the defender! just my thoughts :-)
  • Options
    For my part improvement. Goalkeeper?.. feel sorry for Elliott, I dont think he's been fit for a long time but he does carry a lot of flab for a professional sportsman. left back? .. had loanees there for ages, nice to have a 'proper signing' .. midfield, I never liked either semedo or racon, racon 's gone and i hope semedo follows. We will see how well hollands and alonso gell, would like to see reid retained as i feel he still has potential, attack? abbot was a failure, benson is/was OK, wright-phillips has been a big success and Hayes has been around .. so far?.. so good
  • Options
    Is BWP blessed with pace ?

I'm not sure but if he is then he could play on the shoulder as Darren B used to

BWP isn't slow but he doesn't have the pace to play like Bent D used to although he is quick off the mark from what I've seen which helps him "poach" in the box.

He is the nearest thing to Hales I can remember seeing since the great man left.