Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

skysports is good --but expensive and getting Dearer- soon be a family day out

edited June 2011 in General Charlton

Sky Sports is good but have they overpriced the package - They forget that viewers support other clubs that are not in the Premier.

The whole sky experience can come in at £70 plus a month and it loves a repeat

Comments

• Options
    I dont bother with Sky Sports, i have the espn's and setantas for half the price of just SS. SSN is free, and il just stream a game on SS or watch it at a friends or the pub. so no need for it
  • Options
    If it's really overpriced everyone will dump the service, which isn't happening.  The football commentary is really poor, but I always find excuses to keep it.  At the moment it's the old - I can't stand the BBC motorbike commentators so I need Eurosport so I can have different people talking over the same pictures.
  • Options
    I packed it in when we were relegated from the Prem.  I haven't missed it at all.  
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Never had Sky.

It's just the 'Sky 4' show. Not bothered.
  • Options
    Never had Sky.

Just the 'Sky 4' show. Not bothered.
    Me neither.
  • Options

love sky. (well the sports anyhow)

live england cricket away test series, the british lions matches, the ryder cup.

it's not all about football.

• Options
    Gym membership and magazine subscriptions have recently had to go, sky is likely to be next if necessary. Times are tough, most people are having to make cutbacks
  • Options
    The Sky subscription issue is being mentioned by the wife more and more often. I'm hanging on mainly because of the cricket, though I do tend to watch the hyped up JUDGEMENT DAY!! type games too. It's an expensive luxury, without a doubt.  I don't know whether it's true, but I tell the family that if we get rid of the sports packages we'd have to pay for Sky+, which we wouldn't do, so there'd be no more lining up hours of Grey's Anatomy and House of Anubis.  That seems to work.
  • Options
    Where i live Sky is a must, Freeview signal is crap (even with a 35 quid aerial!) and we all watch different TV, with many of the shows overlapping, so the + is most welcome too. Also, having been watching HD for a couple of years now, I can never go back to SD, so I can easily justify my £80+ a month subscription
  • Options

I don't know what I would do without Sky !!

I pay have the full package via cable (Virgin Media) and apart from the 4 Sports Channels there are about a dozen movie channels and then all the other stuff like Gold, Dave, ITV 2 & 3t, more 4 etc etc

Never have an evening having nothing to watch & often find myself with 2 or 3 things I'd like to see

I pay around £80 pm for all that, plus phone, plus broadband and inc an HD box. If you priced it out as watching 2 or 3 live games per week, plus a couple of films then its b****y good value.

much rather that than my season ticket !!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plus of course I work in the public sector, have a gold plated pension and absolutely no money worries whatsoever.  No sir.  Not any.  Made for life.
  • Options
    Gym membership and magazine subscriptions have recently had to go, sky is likely to be next if necessary. Times are tough, most people are having to make cutbacks
    True. I'm thinking about giving up my subscription to this place.

But then that means I'd have to go to the pub instead to talk bollocks. It's one of them really difficult Catch 22 situations.
  • Options
    Sky Sports costs about 35 a month for me which is bananas, cancelled it over the summer and I doubt I'll bring it back, might get Sky Sports 1 as that's like 15 a month. Currently for me it's €30 a month having Sky without the movies, sports, kids and music.
  • Options
    Gym membership 
    LOL !!
  • Options
    Where i live Sky is a must, Freeview signal is crap (even with a 35 quid aerial!) and we all watch different TV, with many of the shows overlapping, so the + is most welcome too. Also, having been watching HD for a couple of years now, I can never go back to SD, so I can easily justify my £80+ a month subscription
    I had this problem so went for FreeSat. I've had it for four years now and have saved myself £2,400 in subscriptions, based on the £50 a month I was paying at the time. £50 a month doesn't sound too much but £2,400 over four years is quite a chunk, and if it's noe chasing £80 a month that's £40 short of a grand a year.
  • Options

What magazines might these be ?
  • Options
    Virgin are doing a sky swappers deal at the moment which might be worth looking in to for some people. We got a faster broadband line, a HD box and another extra box for another room, with the telephone and the same channels and it still works out cheaper than sky digital.

The internet speed is significantly faster, too. 
  • Options

What magazines might these be ?
    Mens Health & Ravers
  • Options
    my heating will go off before the sky !!, dunno what I'd watch without having sky....football season, cricket and golf is a must!!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Some inside info for you - prices are to be frozen at Sky towers! Of course, a frozen stick is still a stick. But it's better than being poked in the eye with said stick. 

*Embarrassing typo edited
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wise words, mate.
  • Options
    Recently ditched my sky sports, kept ESPN for UFC and other games. Pay my mate a fiver per month for sky mobile and get it on the iPad. Can now connect to my TV with no loss of quality through HDMI, perfect. It's far too expensive IMO.
  • Options
    £80 a month? Bloody hell! I'll stick with my freeview HD recorder thanks.
  • Options
    Reviewing my sky, which up until the last couple of months I thought I got  good value from ,  having had a new box, 6 month HD trial , 
    I had HD when it first came out and cancelled it,but now have a  better set and the difference is quite vivid.
    So looks like the movies are going to have to go. I would be very reluctant to let the football go, as I watch most of the matches.
    We do not have cable in the village so it is freeview or sky. Have to say that the sky plus is an excellent benefit, especially with the bigger hard disc.
    Dissapointed that the bbc has not embraced full HD for all programmes, on 1 and 2. As 3D tv has been around now about time this became standard for the sky package which they were going to do 3 years ago
    but seem to be getting away with it because of the slow take up of the bbc in regard to  HD. 
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We used to have the full Sky+ Sky World Package plus Multi-room. 

Our kids watched a diet of American cartoons and goofy nonsense, I never got to watch as much sport as I thought I would and if we really liked a movie we'd buy a DVD rather than wait for it to come on Sky Movies.

Cancelled my subs but irritatingly they disable the recording facility of the Sky + box. 

Bought a recon Top Up TV Box for £50 (don't pay for the top up channels) which allows me to record all the free to air channels, series links etc just like Sky +

Don't miss it at all. If I really want to watch a football game, I can get access on line.
  • Options
    If you want to cancel it call sky and tell them it's due to the price, they may be able to sort you out...
  • Options
    Can you get the aerobics from Oz on any other channel?
  • Options
    We used to have the full Sky+ Sky World Package plus Multi-room. 

Our kids watched a diet of American cartoons and goofy nonsense, I never got to watch as much sport as I thought I would and if we really liked a movie we'd but a DVD rather than wait for it to come on Sky Movies.

Cancelled my subs but irritatingly they disable the recording facility of the Sky + box. 

Bought a recon Top Up TV Box for £50 (don't pay for the top up channels) which allows me to record all the free to air channels, series links etc just like Sky +

Don't miss it at all. If I really want to watch a football game, I can get access on line.
    That sounds like a good idea Bing.......
    I am going to investigate this in the next few days, as   there is a saving of over £600 per year.
    I assume that the football channels are where you are being 'creative' . 
    I assume if you have basic sky the sky + remains?
    Even that would mean  the equivelent of a  free season ticket at Charlton.
    So well worth checking out.
  • Options
    If you want to cancel it call sky and tell them it's due to the price, they may be able to sort you out...
    +1 to what FoD said.  I've been phoning up every six months for the last 2 years and I've only been paying £30 for HD, Sky Sports and ESPN, rather than the £64 quoted price.

Basically phone up and tell them you're thinking of leaving.
    Say its too expensive etc then they look to keep you signed up.

You just have to remember to set a reminder up on outlook or on whatever calendar system you use to remind you the discounted period is nearly up and you need to phone up and renew the discount.

As I live on my own with no social life to speak of these days, I'd go blind if I didnt have Sky Sports to watch lol.
  • Options

We recently rang up to cancel our subsription as they never mentioned the fact SkyPlus wouldn't work in a flat with a communal dish when we agreed to the contract. Our Broadband is also very slow and keeps cutting out.

We rang up last week and they told us we were on day 32 of the 31 day cooling off period and we couldn't cancel unless we paid £250, absolute w*nkers. We're not getting the product that we agreed for in the contract - of which we never recieved a copy of. We've kicked off at them several times now but they don't want to know so we're having to write to their 'customer relations' dept.

The case continues.