Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playstation 3 BluRay Drives?

edited June 2011 in Not Sports Related
Does anyone on here know anything about Playstation 3 BluRay Drives? Basically my 80gb fatty ps3 has decided it no longer likes reading BluRays, but still accepts DVD and CD, and after having a poke around I have come to the conclusion that the drive is knackered. I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on where I go from here, should I replace the entire console, replace the drive (I have already opened my console up so I can do this easily) or should I send it off to a repair shop so they can tinker with it instead?

Comments

• Options
    If the drive is still reading DVD and CDs I would assume the laser is screwed (blu ray uses blue-violet to read, standard uses red). Is it still in warranty as Sony will fix for free, turnaround is usually a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    I have already opened my console up so I can do this easily
    If the drive is still reading DVD and CDs I would assume the laser is screwed (blu ray uses blue-violet to read, standard uses red). Is it still in warranty as Sony will fix for free, turnaround is usually a couple of weeks.
    No they wont
  • Options

Go into local computer repair shop like fed ex, it will defo be cheaper then going through sony

i'd say must suck but i think i've probably watched 1 ever on mine, standard dvd's for me :)

• Options
    Warranty was up so I decided there was no harm in looking inside to see if there was any loose connections/clear all the dust from within. I definitely know it is the laser now, as once every 8 or 9 attempts it reads the disc well enough to start the game, but then freezes, apparently if it was a software issue, it wouldn't even bother trying. 

Go into local computer repair shop like fed ex, it will defo be cheaper then going through sony

i'd say must suck but i think i've probably watched 1 ever on mine, standard dvd's for me :)

I don't watch many BluRays myself, but unfortunately ps3 games are BluRays too, otherwise I wouldn't bother!

• Options
    Sam, i got an 80 gig fatty and had exactly the same problem about 3 months ago. got in touch with a company in east london who arranged (free of charge) to have it picked up by courior, fixed and returned with a turnaround of about 5 working days. I actually collected mine from their premises as i was in the area. Cost was about £85 quid.

Here's a link to their site

http://ps-pros.co.uk/
  • Options
    I had same problem luckily I pulled in a favour to do the repair, I think I read somewhere you should leave them horizontal to avoid the problem, it's a fairly common one though apparently