Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace season ticket billboards

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
Anyone seen the massive billboard advertising the nigels season tickets between blackwall lane and the tunnel aproach? Cheeky gits 

Comments

• Options
    Already a long thread on this but yours does have a more informative title than "any Greenwich here?". : - )
  • Options
    Cheeky but it's good advertising, they have one in the glades Bromley as well.
  • Options
    There are two opposite Three Bridges Station in Crawley, now where did I leave that black paintspray?
  • Options
    Still wont do anything who wants to watch them lot
  • Options
    yeah my dad saw some in crawley by level crossing! he didnt like it
  • Options

Lets put a CAFC one up o/s Norwood Junction Station?

• Options
    They've even got one up outside Woking station. Not happy about it at all
  • Options
    fair enougfh elsewhere but taking the proverbial on our doorstep
  • Options
    I think we might want to spare a thought to Gillingham before we mount our high-horses on this one.
  • Options
    Hasn't taken long for Millwall to grafitti all over the one here in Shortlands
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we might want to spare a thought to Gillingham before we mount our high-horses on this one.
    Precisely.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

And of course, their little toddlers don't care about us:

(Just in case you were wondering this 3 yr olds little gem is titled That Press Conference)

• Options
    All a bit sad if you ask me.

Big billboards like that are all about product recognition or trying to get a specific message across. If anyone is really going to be walking/driving through Greenwich, sees that and thinks, "Ooo, I'll pop down to Croydon and pick myself up a season ticket" then good luck to them!

Can understand the boards in their catchment area, but I think some ad agency may just have had them over on those particular boards. Which is a shame.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We should print a poster to stick on their posters saying 'and if you want increased luxury, visit a real dump instead of a ground that looks like one'
  • Options
    Precisely.

Surely the point is that Palace have no support in Greeenwich and no likelihood of gaining any. If they want to waste their money on billboards there I would encourage it.

Charlton, on the other hand, have more support than Gillingham across Kent and significant support in Medway itself. Gillingham have virtually no support in many of the Kent districts - which is one reason why they can only moan about Valley Express but never replicate it.

• Options
    Precisely.

Surely the point is that Palace have no support in Greeenwich and no likelihood of gaining any. If they want to waste their money on billboards there I would encourage it.

Charlton, on the other hand, have more support than Gillingham across Kent and significant support in Medway itself. Gillingham have virtually no support in many of the Kent districts - which is one reason why they can only moan about Valley Express but never replicate it.

I'm very happy for us to have fans from all over Kent and support what the club does to help with that.  But if we're saying it's out of order for palace to put posters up in Greenwich then there are double standards at work.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

We - and for this purpose I mean the club - are not saying it's out of order. We couldn't care less.

Personally, I think it's funny.

• Options
    DRFDRF
    edited June 2011
    Precisely.

And surely Gillingham would argue that we had very little (active) support on their turf before the Target 20,000 advertising campaign. London is not like other areas of the UK, the fan base moves outwards from the area where their parents live (hence our fans move to Kent, West Ham's to Essex etc) maybe Milwall are finally realising this and trying to work out the areas where their fans may have moved out to.

I don't think it's anything to be worries about, but neither to I think it is particularly something to be ridiculed. At least not before the campaign has had time to bed-in and result (or the lack of) can be measured.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with Airman, it is funny.  It's funny on two counts:  First it shows their genuine lack of support; they are in Div 1 and have sold <9k tickets.  Secondly it shows a lack of nous on the marketing front – posters are generally for raising awareness not for closing the deal on your "premium" product.  The reason their fans aren't buying tickets isn't because they aren't aware of what's on offer, it's precisely because they are aware of what's on offer!  

I can't see them getting their money back on this one, it doesn't appear to be well thought out enough.  If they had a bottomless marketing budget and this was just one strand of it, I might be a bit narked; but as things stand they're just throwing their money away :-)
  • Options

Our season tickets sales are much much reduced from when we were in the premiership. If we ever get back there do you think these fans will automatically return or do you think Charlton will run an ad campaign to encourage some of them to return? That's not becuase they have forgotten Charlton exists or where to buy season tickets.

Milwall are raising their profile and reminding people who may have left during their more violent years (for example) that they could consider coming back or briging their children along.

I fear for he who is laughing first.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    And surely Gillingham would argue that we had very little (active) support on their turf before the Target 20,000 advertising campaign. London is not like other areas of the UK, the fan base moves outwards from the area where their parents live (hence our fans move to Kent, West Ham's to Essex etc) maybe Milwall are finally realising this and trying to work out the areas where their fans may have moved out to.
    They could, but they'd be completely wrong, based on the profile of the people who use the coaches.

Millwall are a completely different case to Palace, as indeed are West Ham, although they are massively handicapped by their reputation.

What Palace should be doing is promoting match ticket offers in areas where they have support or where there is good potential to build support.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have to agree with Airman Brown