Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Apples and Pears

edited June 2011 in Not Sports Related
Got a couple of apple trees and a pear tree none of which have ever done much, but this year they're weighed down with fruit. Is this happening elsewhere? Anybody got a cider press in their garage?

Comments

• Options

My pear tree is looking good at the moment with a lot of potential fruit on it, I just have to make sure the birds dont peck it and the wasps don't follow on and burrow in the holes left by the birds which happened last year.

• Options
    Funnily enough its something I have always wanted to do
    Here is a guide March51 - go on - it will get you away from Sky!

Making cider is really easy and a good way to use up a glut of
    fruit. Some “experts” say use only cider apples, others mainly dessert
    and others mainly cooking but in reality most home cider makers use whatever
    apples that they have at hand.

Choosing and Picking Apples for Cider

• Make certain they are fully ripe, undamaged and not heavily bruised.
    • Keep in a cool place for 1 or 2 weeks to soften the skins.
    Preparing the Fruit

Crushing

This can be done by putting the apples in a strong tub and pounding
    them with a length of timber but is heavy on the arms. If you
    are likely to make large amounts of cider, it may be better if you
    purchase a fruit
    crusher

Pressing

The pulped fruit now needs to be pressed to extract the juice.
    You can get away with a domestic fruit juicer but, for larger amounts,
    you can either build or purchase your own press.

pH

The pH of the juice should be in the range 3.9 to 4.0 to give the
    right amount of sharpness. This can be checked using a
    small soil testing pH meter. To higher the pH add precipitated chalk, to
    lower the pH add malic acid.

Sugar Levels

Check the “specific gravity” (S.G) of the juice with a hydrometer
    for sugar levels. 15% sugar = S.G of 1070 and total potential alcohol
    content of around 8.5%, 10% sugar = S.G. of 1045 and total potential
    alcohol of 6%. This is if all of the sugar is fermented.

If the S.G.
    is less than 1040 there may not be sufficient to protect the cider during
    storage and sugar can be added to raise the gravity. 2 ½ ounces of sugar
    should raise the gravity of 1 gallon of juice by about 5º.

Fermentation

The juice now needs to be poured into a good quality fermenting
    vessel. This can either be wood, stainless steel, glass
    or plastic (only food-grade plastics).

Cover loosely as the initial fermentation
    can be very vigorous. Once it has calmed down, top up with more juice
    or water to exclude air and fit an airlock to the container.

Traditionally
    nothing is added to the apple juice to turn it into cider, as the natural
    yeasts in the apples will turn the sugars into alcohol.

A modern method
    of controlling the fermentation is by killing off natural yeasts with
    Sulphur Dioxide in the form of Sodium Metabisulphite (Campden Tablet),
    then adding a general purpose wine yeast. This has the advantage of subduing
    some wild yeasts and bacteria and reduces spoilage in the cider.

Keep the fermenting cider at a steady temperature of around
    15º.
    Fermentation can take anything from 10 days to 10 weeks.

Racking and
    Bottling

When the cider has finished fermenting, check the Specific Gravity with
    a hydrometer. If below 1005 it is time to rack the cider by
    syphoning into a clean container. Make certain that the sediment
    is not transferred.

Ensure the new container is filled to the top, fit an airlock and
    put into a cool place to allow to clear.

If more sediment shows, then you’ll need to repeat the racking
    process.

1 Campden tablet per gallon can be added after the last racking
    to prevent the cider spoiling.

When you’re happy with your cider and ready to drink it, rack into
    bottles (all plastic fizzy drink bottles are suitable for cider)
    and keep in a cool place.
  • Options
    Saw a lovely pair at lunch today.
  • Options
    Gosh!! Thanks Floyd, food for thought there alright. First job is to get Mrs. M a nice bit of timber for the crushing business. I remember going round a small cider maker's place up Hereford way a while ago, it was full of wasps but they were too drunk to sting you. I might actually have a go at this, we'll see. Thanks for the info'.
  • Options
    Saw a lovely pair at lunch today.
    fnar fnar!
  • Options
    Gosh!! Thanks Floyd, food for thought there alright. First job is to get Mrs. M a nice bit of timber for the crushing business. I remember going round a small cider maker's place up Hereford way a while ago, it was full of wasps but they were too drunk to sting you. I might actually have a go at this, we'll see. Thanks for the info'.
    you'll have to get a nice big ladder for your wife to use so she can get all the best ones that are just out of reach
  • Options
    Very true, 'cos I'm not allowed up ladders 'cos of my 'trouble'.
  • Options

= stairs.

dickie dirt...............

• Options
    No problem March
    Its our plan to utilise all the spare apples in Aomori, Japan and start one of the first Cider companies over there some time in the next couple of years.
  • Options

March  our two Apple trees where bending under the weight last year couldnt give em away. This year not much on either which is normal i think.

warning donkeys years ago me and my late mum did the cider thing  one night it was like WW 1  bottles exploding  cider everywhere etc. Not sure what we did wrong but we did it .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you’re using glass bottles, it may
    still be necessary to loosen the tops occasionally or the pressure
    could cause the bottle to explode.
  • Options
    You can't beat a trip round Westons!
  • Options
    March
    You and Mrs March should come up our way - a couple of great Cider places nearby.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks folks, the stuff you usually get in pubs these days is usually cold and tastless although some do scrumpy and you fall off your chair after 2 or 3. Hard to find anything in between so am partial to Weston's organic (bottled), very nice.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My local has seven ciders, though two are Perry.
    4 still and very local, off to the cellar to get them in jugs, one national fizzy, two local fizzies.
    There is a 17 mile cycle tour from here which takes in over 20 producers/suppliers

http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/Home/ is very close to us.

http://www.knightscider.co.uk/malv-gold.html - if you like Westons, March, you will love this. Let me know if you cant get it and I will bring some down next time. Its almost next door!
  • Options

Have I got this right Floyd? A 17 mile cycle ride visiting cider producers (cideries?) ?  Hell, even if I could still ride a bike, which is very doubtful, I'd never get past the first one! How many actually make it to the end? Thanks for the offer, it's OK at the moment: the local Tesco is stocking it  . You must be in a nice part of the world.

• Options
    I used to count many cider producers as customers, I sold the enzymes they sometimes use to clarify the drink. Lovely job, visiting all those little Cideries out in Wurzel land....
  • Options

Have I got this right Floyd? A 17 mile cycle ride visiting cider producers (cideries?) ?  Hell, even if I could still ride a bike, which is very doubtful, I'd never get past the first one! How many actually make it to the end? Thanks for the offer, it's OK at the moment: the local Tesco is stocking it  . You must be in a nice part of the world.

You must visit!
    Here is the route.
    http://www.malverntrail.co.uk/cider.htm
  • Options
    Thanks Floyd, will read it in the morning: got to see the end of 'Under Siege' on film4.  Cheers.
  • Options

Just be very very careful with the hygiene.  I made my own cider once and spent an entire night throwing up.  I think the twelfth bottle must have had a bug in it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mr March, if you really like your cider, get Mrs March to take you for a drive down the A27 towards newhaven, go straight across the roundabout where you turn off for Newhaven and follow the signs for Drusillas towards Eastbourne and after a couple of miles you'll come across Middle farm on your left.
    They've got about 50 or 60 different ciders and perrys to try before you buy!
    Great homemade pies and stuff too!
  • Options
    Thanks Creepy, I know exactly where you are, I used to call in there in my car delivery days (not drinking just buying of course) excellent place with some very good cheeses.Couldn't have the pies etc. 'cos of my trouble. Asked them once if they did any gluten free stuff and they looked at me blankly and asked 'What's that then?'
  • Options
    We used to pop in there quite often when the sis-in-law lived in Newhaven, kids went to feed the animals, I went to feed myself (whilst trying a large selection of apple based juices!) then the wife drove home! Blinding couple of hours out   : )
  • Options

=Shirt

Sherbert dab