Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Carson

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
What the!...
West brom keeper Carson in Turkey to finalise move to Bursaspor.

Now Mr Slater.If we have got any dough, I suggest you dig deep to get desperate Dan back in our midst.

Comments

• Options

Dream on

• Options
    Seems to be the one player who has reversed the trend and was good here and awful everywhere else.
  • Options

Good point hudson.

Carson was brilliant for us the season we had him on loan. Remember one game at arsenal, when even though we lost 4-0, it could have been 15 but for Carson's heroics. Totally deserved POTY that season.

Thought he would go on and be an absolute top rate keeper and end up at one of the "big 4".Yet he never seems to have recovered from his nightmare England debut and whenever I've seen him on TV for WBA, he's looked pretty average.

Wish him well in the future.

• Options
    He got Englandised.
  • Options

in a crap team a goalie has plenty of opportunity to look good .......

• Options

Al Habsi for Wigan springs to mind
  • Options
    so why do we moan about Elliot?  :-)
  • Options

Nicky Weaver proves the exception to that rule ...
  • Options

There were a lot worse players in our team than Nicky Weaver. He was just another in a long line of Charlton whipping boys and was never given a chance.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

There were a lot worse players in our team than Nicky Weaver. He was just another in a long line of Charlton whipping boys and was never given a chance.
    He became a pariah after an unfortunate slip against Birmingham.

Pardew should never have gone with the inexperience of Elliot after that.

Weaver was old enough & experienced enough to get through that situation stronger, but never got the chance. An experienced keeper can make a big difference in a struggling team, & Robbie, from then to this day, I feel, has never commanded his back four in the way that he needs to.

Whilst Robbie has been unfortunate to be behind some real melonheads in the team, with the likes of Francis, Bessone McNugget(in a DM capacity), to name but a few, I don't feel he has grown enough yet, to fully deserve the No.1 shirt.
    If he stays, it will be interesting to see how he responds to the challenge of Sullivan, who does seem to have a bit more command of what's been in front of him.

Personally, I'd have Weaver back in a shot, if we had the chance, & Scott Carson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't remember Weaver being a 'whipping boy'. I remember him having a series of horrible, horrible games and then getting dropped and never returning. He was just as popular as anybody else before that.

'Never given a chance' ?? Pffft.
  • Options
    Weaver, imo, has always been a pretty poor keeper before, during and after his time with us. Suffers from many of the same problems as Elliot imo.
  • Options
    Anybody who doesn't think Weaver was a whipping boy is delusional.
    Many fans had already made their mind up about him because of some if his antics at City when we played them and he never stood a chance.
    As for the countless poor performances , I don't remember him being any worse than the out field Players but I guess if your face don't fit your stuffed at Charlton.
  • Options
    Apparently I'm delusional. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    pity carson wouldnt take the money , being destroyed by the english press every time he makes a mistake , who else could say they wouldnt rather a spot out of the limelight
  • Options
    He was good for us but I can't forget the poor game he had at operation Ewood that I think cost us dearly. I haven't got any issues with Elliott and Sullivan - I honestly don't think they are a million miles away from Green and Carson.
  • Options
    He was good for us but I can't forget the poor game he had at operation Ewood that I think cost us dearly. I haven't got any issues with Elliott and Sullivan - I honestly don't think they are a million miles away from Green and Carson.
    Thousands maybe?
  • Options
    HH's fault that day IMO he was truly unprofessional and thinking about his contract clause

• Options

Scott Carson going to Turkey relally .

Why not stay in England and join a london club looking for a new goalkeeper called West Ham???

• Options

Really because he can do so much better very good keeper whilst he was at charlton .

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Carson did not become a bad goalkeeper overnight, like many he has a clanger in his locker but it seems evident the England debacle has affected his confidence and perhaps led to him being tarnished as error prone. Seems as though he divided opinions at WBA and maybe this move is what he needs, a break away from the pressures of PL football where he can solely concentrate on his football.

Would not be surprised to see him back in the UK in a couple of years when he was be 27 and closer to his peak. Not sure he will ever be international class but imho there are a few worse who play in the Premier League.

• Options
    i dont see him as error prone! hes better than gomas of spurs
  • Options
    HH's fault that day IMO he was truly unprofessional and thinking about his contract clause

Think you'll find Ben Thatcher was the real issue that day. Sent off for two stupid yellows.
  • Options
    I think we will find that the entire team was pitiful that day. 

To be honest we can point at the shocking referee in the Fulham game, the pony management decisions, but really the squad was not good enough as a whole, people like Thatcher, Traore, Faye, M Bent weren't up to scratch when it came down to it. We relied on Bent too much and our supporting strikers were either past it or never had it. 

Carson is a good keeper, but he does have a mistake or two in him, and therefore he will never elevate himself to the top, top level. If he goes to Turkey it will be a great experience for him, but I feel he will be back before long
  • Options
    I wonder if we get back to the CCC next season we'll try and put a bid in...he'd probably fancy a move back to England by then and maybe to a club who thought well of him. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened tbh.
  • Options
    Think this sums up what confidence (or lack of) can do to a player. Not sure if he ever recovered from his howler for England, I wouldn't be suprised if he had a couple of decent years in Turkey and made a move back to a newly promoted Prem team or good Champ team and went from their.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I noticed after the winner that a half dozen supporters raced to Carson to give him lots and lots of stick. It was pretty angry stuff. What happened there? I thought he was generally liked, and he made a point of applauding the other stands after. He did give some back to them, but they looked like they deserved it. Anyone know what happened?

EDIT: Sorry, just seen the thread on it. As you were.