Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Centre-Backs

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
As (i assume) it's clear that we need at least 1, possibly 2 new centre halves at the club, i was looking at the PFA list of free transfers to see who could possibly be a target.

From that list i have come up with 10 players who might come into contention. I'm not saying they are all realistic targets or that They'd do the job for us, but hey, it beats reading the danny green thread........................

I've listed their name, age and last club:

Richard Naylor - 34 - Leeds Utd

Stepthen Caldwell - 30 - Burnley

Sol Campbell - 36 - Newcastle

Daniel Gabbidon - 31 - West Ham

Anthony Gardner - 30- Hull

Abdoulaye Meite - 30 - WBA

Ibrahima Sonko - 30 - Stoke

Jonathan Woodgate - 31 - Spurs

Thomas Cruise - 20 - Arsenal

Gavin Mahon - 34 - QPR

Any thoughts on these or others?

Comments

• Options
    The main thing I noticed was that they all seem to be at clubs that are above us in the league.  That seems to buck the trend with our other signings coming from humbler places.  
  • Options
    well, it's just that as they're all free transfers. Can't see us picking up a L1 or L2 defender that's been released by his club, deemed not good enough. Players we've signed so far have either been for a fee or, like Evina, refused a contract at oldham. Besides, centre-back is not really a position where you want young inexperieced players, or at least one old head amongst them.
  • Options
    That's a good point and maybe we could pick up one or two of these on a free.  As much as the likes of Naylor and Campbell sound impressive, I'd prefer someone younger - unless we know that both Dailly and Doc are off, then we might have room for another golden oldie.  On your list only Cruise is under 30 - I don't know the guy so couldn't comment.  

For all that, I thought we were meant to be moving to a business model of getting up and comers rather than old boys as at least then there's a chance that one will really make it big and make the club some money.  When I look at this list, I see mainly players whose best days are behind them. 
  • Options
    Gabbidon and Gardner look the pick of that lot. However, I think Gardner is Palace bound and would expect a Championship club to snap up Gabbidon. Doc at 31 can't really be considered to be too much of an oldie. If Dailly can accept he is not an automatic starter, think it would be excellent business to sign him up for next season. If that's the case, we probably only need one new one but they have to be the right one.
  • Options

Not sure if old news but Leon Legge has tweeted that we've bid for Karleigh Osborne (Brentford centre back and last season's player of year).
  • Options
    Powell said at Bromley back in May that he wanted two more. He also said Naylor is too similar to Doc.
  • Options

imo the only player on that list that we could meet their wage demand is probably thomas cruise.

and he's surely too short to be a c/h.

• Options

imo the only player on that list that we could meet their wage demand is probably thomas cruise.

and he's surely too short to be a c/h.

It's not the short arsed actor. ;-)
  • Options
    No it's the short arsed left back instead
  • Options
    To be honest, the one's i wouldn't want here are Campbell and woodgate. Campbell just seems to have lost it completely and should get out of the game whilst he still has a reputation. Woody is far too injury prone. If he was willing to drop to L1, which i doubt, then his wages would be top shelf and for someone who will probaby spend 60% of the season in the physio's room it's a luxury we couldn't afford. Have heard he might be going back to leeds.

Sonko, Caldwell or Meite would be great for us but really couldn't see any of them dropping lower than championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's always abroad but it seems we are bidding on Osbourne and who knows who else.  Zander Diamond was mentioned.
  • Options
    Caldwell would be good
  • Options
    They all look old and knackered to me, may as well keep Doc & Daily, we can do better than that list of has beens.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Magnus Okuonghae was another, but it seems we are unwilling to match Colchester's valuation given he was just 12 months left on his contract and was injured in November with a blot flow problem in his foot, so he hasn't played football for 8 months!
  • Options
    Leon Legge said we apparently bid for Karleigh Osborne. We obviously did as it fits in with our policy of only signing players with relatives in football - he's probably distantly related to Harry Osborne (both Osborne not Osbourne).
  • Options
    Good little thread but the players like Sol Campbell will be demanding rarther big wages? Wonder if there willing to pay this. I think that these players however would be great signings and
  • Options
    Good little thread but the players like Sol Campbell will be demanding rarther big wages? Wonder if there willing to pay this. I think that these players however would be great signings and
    and................ Willmore, you okay? Shit,no, Willmore.....................WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE.

Why him? anyone but him...................
  • Options

LOL

• Options
    PMSL