Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

War and Peace Show - The Hop Farm Paddock Wood July 20th-24th

edited June 2011 in Not Sports Related

Following on from Henry's post on the Hop Farm Music festival.

I understand that there are a few WW1 and WW2 history buffs on here. My Military Store has a stand at the War and Peace show at the Hop Farm, if anyone from here is coming to the show, come to stand/tent H31 where there will be beer, wine and a warm welcome waiting.

If you have not been to the War and Peace show, it is the bigest military show in the world, loads going on in the arenas, WW2 veterns to meet and some good bands on in the day and evening, oh and you can buy stuff too!

My site

www.militarystores.co.uk

War and Peace official site.

http://www.thewarandpeaceshow.com/

Comments

• Options
    Ill be there and ill come say hi.
  • Options
    Went camping there last year, the week they were setting it all up - amazing. Bought a gimp mask and a  Russian hat.
  • Options
    I wont be there this year, which is a big miss for me, but I'll go to Detling in August so its not too bad.
  • Options
    Greenie, is that your tank and B52 parked in G&M motors? ;-)
  • Options
    Greenie, is that your tank and B52 parked in G&M motors? ;-)
    Yes mate, they're for commuting and road rage!
  • Options

The strangest event i have been to, weirdos dressed up in Nazi uniforms surveying the scene like Generals, people digging trenches with sand bags and camaflage, big kids playing at war, i think its action man gone to far.

One bloke had a submarine turrett in the middle of a field that he would climb whilst dressed in the full kit and survey the scene with a telscope - nuts.

I'd like to point out that i was camping there with friends and we didnt realise this event existed until we turned up, 48hours of tanks and half tracks trundling around our tents was not what we expected but it did add to the weekend's entertainment.

Some bizarre stuff to be bought in the surplus tents as long as you dont take it too seriously.

• Options
    Sounds fun. my son will love it, and it gets him away from playing black ops. ;-)
  • Options

JSS - Yes it can be a little..er.. 'different'.  The reinactors are not my cup of tea, each to their own, but I understand the Living Historians, they provide a visual experience as a learning platform for kids to understand part of the history of our country. A lot of the Living Historians are History teachers and give up their time for this event. I have also heard rumours that people attend football matches wearing the football shirts of the teams they support, and to cap it all they never get a game they just watch, strange don't you think? ;o)

Seriously, the W+P show is a celebration to the veterans all all conflicts and a massive amount of money is raised for numourous charities including Help for Heroes, the vets are treated like superstars (quite rightly) and they get a chance to meet up with old comrades and become young men again.

And the bizarre stuff for sale, some of it is worth a bloody fortune, crazy but true!

• Options
    Hmmm, there's got to be something wrong with fellas dressing up as Nazis, surely? Just ask Prince Harry.
  • Options
    @Off_itNothing wrong with wearing Hugo Boss 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And driving a Mercedes!
  • Options
    Hmmm, there's got to be something wrong with fellas dressing up as Nazis, surely? Just ask Prince Harry.
    Not gonna disgree with this, like I say its not my cup of tea, but it is intriguing how people always look for the bad in an event that does so much good for so many people. I guess the German reinactors would argue that without them you don't get the full effect of the event. Like I say I'm just the messenger!
  • Options
    There was a programme about this a couple of years ago which was secretly filmed. I can't remember the exact figure but it was sonething like 14 out of 15 wanted to be nazis as opposed to allies.
  • Options
    Not gonna disgree with this, like I say its not my cup of tea, but it is intriguing how people always look for the bad in an event that does so much good for so many people. I guess the German reinactors would argue that without them you don't get the full effect of the event. Like I say I'm just the messenger!
    I'm not "looking for the bad" mate, just expressing an opinion that it's a bit weird, that's all. I'm glad the event does a lot for good causes, really I am.

As long as the Nazi fellas don't insist on winning the re-enacted battles then and they end up getting a damn good pasting then I guess I can live with it!
    ;o)
  • Options

Not a dig at you Off_it!

I have often wondered at the wisdom of wanting to dress up as the losers! And thats without getting into what Nazism stands for!

Oh well, live and let live...er...I think!

• Options

Not a dig at you Off_it!

I have often wondered at the wisdom of wanting to dress up as the losers! And thats without getting into what Nazism stands for!

Dont let him get to you Greenie, Off_it's avatar picture is actually him on a typical Sunday afternoon ;-)
  • Options

Hi Greenie

As an aside where did you get the Totenkopfring from? As you know these are very rare and were usually taken from dead SS soldiers and returned to Himmler's castle at Wewelsburg. I think only a few hundred are known to have survived the war. Orginially these had to be won - by achieving some feat of bravery, although later in the war they were dispensed a bit more freely.

• Options

Mike, Yes just seen his picture, good one!

• Options
    I might give my mates Herman, Fritz, Heinrich, Otto, Ernst and Karl a call to see if they fancy it.
  • Options

Not a dig at you Off_it!

Dont let him get to you Greenie, Off_it's avatar picture is actually him on a typical Sunday afternoon ;-)
    Zulu war re-enactments are, of course, perfectly normal!
    ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not a dig at you Off_it!

Zulu war re-enactments are, of course, perfectly normal!
    ;o)
    Why you Offy???
  • Options
    Cos we're 'ere Mike, there's nobody else - just us.
  • Options
    A prayer's as good as bayonet on a day like this.
  • Options
    Lol, I could go on I have the entire Zulu script up on my screen
  • Options

Hi Greenie

As an aside where did you get the Totenkopfring from? As you know these are very rare and were usually taken from dead SS soldiers and returned to Himmler's castle at Wewelsburg. I think only a few hundred are known to have survived the war. Orginially these had to be won - by achieving some feat of bravery, although later in the war they were dispensed a bit more freely.

Most of our items are bought at Auction, although we do buy complete collections from time to time. The deactivated weapons are bought from firearms dealers and we have to but in bulk so as to offer good retails prices.

The deaths head ring was bought at a militaria auction, you are correct fewer than 5000 were presented for bravery, however later in the war they were awarded more freely.Because they were issued to all and sundry by wars end they are not as rare as you may think, but they are profusely copied (hard to spot, but if you know what you are looking for) and the well worn ones sell better and as long as they are inscribed they fetch bigger sums.

Its a sad state of affairs, to my mind, but the Nazi memorabilia sells faster and commands more money than the allies gear!

Some German helmets fetch 5 figures, utter madness!

• Options
    Right- nobody told you to stop workin'.
  • Options
    Lol, I could go on I have the entire Zulu script up on my screen
    Where did you get that from Mike? Is it available online?
  • Options
    Pick up the rifle, and get to it! I'll make a soldier of you yet.
  • Options
    No by jimminy it's horses!
  • Options

I just Googled Zulu Script and found on about the third click, the full one was hard going finding your quotes but if you google "Right, nobody told you to stop working, zulu" it takes you straight to it on Wiki