Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton's Five Worst Premiership Signings

Comments

• Options
    Rowett wouldve been a great player for us
  • Options

Agree with the original list although M Bent is a very close 6th.

Think the honourable mention to Chris Bart Williams is also a little harsh, was bought in if memory serves on the cheap and at a time when we had midfield injuries and the squad needed a freshening up. He did not do a lot wrong and scored a couple of goals including a winner against Derby in 2002.

• Options

I thought John Barnes was pretty pony. Too old too slow etc

• Options
    ...but still had one hell of an eye for a pass
  • Options

M Bent

Faye

Traore

• Options

Here's a no doubt controversial choice:  the Herminator.  He had an absolutely shocking season for us (deliberately so?) when we got relegated from the PL.  He then proceeded to use a get out clause in his contract which meant he moved to another club for nothing.  He helped cause the relegation and then buggered off.  Scum.

• Options
    Diawara.

Let so many things bounce over his head, at total fault for Easter's goal for Wycombe in the Carling Cup, and for the money we paid for him I was expecting a lot more.
  • Options

Here's a no doubt controversial choice:  the Herminator.  He had an absolutely shocking season for us (deliberately so?) when we got relegated from the PL.  He then proceeded to use a get out clause in his contract which meant he moved to another club for nothing.  He helped cause the relegation and then buggered off.  Scum.

He did have a poor season, the reason being that we played him out of position all year at centre back. He was perfectly capable at left back, but woeful at centre half. It wasn't his fault he was played there. Also don't blame him for jumping ship after relegation - most players do if they can.
  • Options

Rommedahl was a bit like marmite love him or hate him. I really rated him and thought like most people we didn't play him in the right way. Good signing IMO.

We tried to play him the right way and he just wasn't strong enough, or prepared to take the knocks to play in that position. A bad signing.
  • Options
    Diawara.

Let so many things bounce over his head, at total fault for Easter's goal for Wycombe in the Carling Cup, and for the money we paid for him I was expecting a lot more.

He had a poor season in a poor defence, but improved and has demonstrated his class since. He took time to adapt to the English game which is a bit more agricultural when compared to French football. Given another season in the premiership he'd have looked a good signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He did have a poor season, the reason being that we played him out of position all year at centre back. He was perfectly capable at left back, but woeful at centre half. It wasn't his fault he was played there. Also don't blame him for jumping ship after relegation - most players do if they can.
    At an event I attended (can't remember which one!) we were told that Herman had actually done the club a favour by using that clause as we couldn't afford to keep him and, in fact, that was better than several other players who stayed with us on their Premiership wages. 
  • Options
    A bit harsh on Amdy. He was a poor midfielder when we struggled post Parker, but of the handful of games he played in defence, in several he was MOTM
  • Options
    A bit harsh on Amdy. He was a poor midfielder when we struggled post Parker, but of the handful of games he played in defence, in several he was MOTM

Scored the goal that won us a match at Pompey too - our first away win of the season and he deputised at centre-back after several first choice CB's were either injured or suspended.
  • Options

You re entitled to have this opinion but you are wrong wrong wrong ! ! !

Hermann always played for the shirt

• Options
    My five would be
    5.Traore
    4.Jeffers
    3.JFH 
    2.Marcus Bent
    1.Redfearn
  • Options

1.Marcus Bent. Was never fit and injury prone when we signed and lived off one goal for Everton. Absolute shite attitude and Curbs worst ever signing in my book, as didn't have logic unlike most of his other signings. This was another dubious signing off Walter Smith (see Carl Tiler), who was always gonna be injury prone. Even had his name tattooed on his arm, just in case he forgot.

2. Djimi Circus. Would love to know the 'background' of this deal. Even Steve Wonder wouldn't have signed him. Beyond dubious.

3. Simon Walton. Would love to know the 'background' of this deal. Dubious.

4. Amady Faye. Would love to know the 'background' of this deal. Awful control and distribution. Dubious.

5. Francis Jeffers. When he scored against Villa, I thought, at last, we have a real striker. Did fk all after that. Loved a carvery and the bookies though.

• Options
    edited June 2011

I'd put Martin Christensen in there at number one. A player we couldn't afford to play, ffs. Loads of anecdotes about him buzzing about.

Cory Gibbs was just unlucky with injuries. Christensen was shit and happy to pocket his 5k a week whilst refusing to move to another club. The twizzle.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    madjid bougherra.

pardew had him watched a few times on youtube and declared that he was just the right player to save us. £2.5m plus sky high wages later, he didn't really achieve anything apart from epitomise just how badly things had changed following curbishley's dismissal.
  • Options

1. Faye

I don't have another 3 players. To place anyone else even just one place lower than Faye on this list would, i feel, actually make Faye look so, so much better than he actually was.

• Options
    joachim Bjorlund

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Diawara.

Very good call.   Terrible player and all the other stuff about the baseball bat and thirst.
  • Options

Ive seen the word "Dubious" used in the signing of Faye and i certainly feel that this man was never meant to be a footballer. 

Dowie should have been sacked for signing him alone , forget all the other reasons.  

Wasn't there some legal problem with Faye's move from Portsmouth to Newcastle as well?

Reminds me of that player Souness signed for Southampton and came on as a sub in a game and it was soon clear that he was a fraud and was promptly taken off and told where to go.

• Options

@Bedsaddick I believe Faye's move from Pompey to Newcastle was the one that got "Honest" Harry Redknapp and Peter Storey into trouble and questioned by police for some form of financial irregularity.

And yes, Dowie should have been sacked for signing him, and Traore. £4m altogether on those two, absolutely disgraceful. Still blame Dowie more than anyone else for where we find ourselves today.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Diawara.

Very good call.   Terrible player and all the other stuff about the baseball bat and thirst.

.... but two league titles and three league cups in France since then with Bordeaux and Marseille!
  • Options
    martin pringle, 6 foot 6 michale jackson look-a-like that weighed less then my morning bowel movements, apart from the equalizer v newcastle at home, i just chuckled when i saw him play was beyond average.
  • Options
    I'm presuming that has to be overly subtle sarcasm
  • Options

Danny Green - Whats he ever done for us?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    There are plenty to pick from

Certainly AFKAs four are in my bottom ten with Faye - the "crowning turd in the water pipe"

You would have to add

Gary Rowett - Injury prone almost on the Cory Gibbs scale
    Rommedahl - Massively disappointing
    Marcus Bent - Scored more off the pitch - complete t*sser
    Pouso - Just ridiculous 
    Redfearn - We were too far south for him
  • Options
    martin pringle, 6 foot 6 michale jackson look-a-like that weighed less then my morning bowel movements, apart from the equalizer v newcastle at home, i just chuckled when i saw him play was beyond average.

And if the team last season had half he's passion and commitement we would not have been nearly so shite, You cant include Martin Pringle .  
  • Options
    edited June 2011

if its on abilty and actual football talent you can mate,wasnt knocking his commitment or passion just purely on his footballing abilty just always seemd to me like a bit of a headless chicken up front at times.

*edit, ok have been looking at his stats11 goals in 65 odd games is probably better then some strikers weve had of late, i was basing this purley on what i remember of seeing in 98-99 i was only 7 at the time ;-)