Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we the Arsenal of the South (of London)

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
with the emphasis on the academy and nurturing talent, plus bargaining hunting, are we following the example of the south london rejects as our business model?

:)

cue gooner hater..

Comments

• Options
    In the same way that Sids corner shop gets an idea or two from Sainsburys.
  • Options
    well we aren't buying journeymen, or superstars, so it could be what we aren't doing as well as what we are doing, so perhaps 3 or 4 ideas rather than one or two?
  • Options
    We are actually situated more in East London than South......
  • Options
    erm...
  • Options
    darn I forgot the free flowing football as well, darn I knew there was something in this...

East London, naa that's norf of the river sonny
  • Options
    No it's not. Look at a map of London, find Charlton and tell me it's not in the East.Don't let postcodes fool you. Chelsea is north of the river but has SW postcode.  The Thames is not a straight line.
  • Options
    Oh I thought Charlton was in Kent......(ducking for cover)
  • Options

No it's not. Look at a map of London, find Charlton and tell me it's not in the East.Don't let postcodes fool you. Chelsea is north of the river but has SW postcode.  The Thames is not a straight line.

by that reasoning you must see norwich as the giants of the north-east and newcastle, sunderland and middlesbro northwest clubs.
  • Options
    Quite so.  We are an East London club. End of.
  • Options

Bangkok Dave.

That is just wrong on so many levels.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    East London is actually in North London of course...

:D

• Options
    No we are not.
    Or should we try to be!
    We are Charlton, and South East London.
    If the local council and Mayors office/GLC/LCC want to bugger around with the local map that leaves everyone confussed
    that says more about there lack of respect for there community. Most of the posters  on here were not born or bred in Charlton went to school etc...... 
    When we had a  recent posting on this subject a few weeks ago most people lived in places like Bexleyheath.
    For my sins I reside in Bexley which is even more confused about it's position is it a London borough or is it in Kent or both!
    Mind you  probably no one wants to own it, or accept ownership like a bastardised son!
    Why do I live in Bexley, because I cannot afford to live in Blackheath...... which is mostly Lewisham now anyway? at least on the council tax bill.......
  • Options
    I can stand us be called trainspotters  and anoracs(sic) but "Arsenal of South London"  is an insult to far  Rasil  i suggest u keep a fire extingusher to hand.
  • Options
    Or are Arsenal the Charlton of North London?
  • Options
    What a bizarre comment Chirpy Red which has sparked a pointless debate.

Is it not possible to be in both south and east london? Otherwise known as south-east London. Yes it is, and that's where we are.
  • Options
    wondered how long it would take GH to make an appearance

:D:D
  • Options

Our youth policy doesn't consist of paying millions for the best youngsters from other clubs and then fooling everyone into thinking we produce loads of talented youngsters.
  • Options
    We have done this to death before

we are a south of east London club there you go everyones happy, those that want to split hairs,

Me I am a south east London boy full stop end of,I ain't no east London wanna be, south east London and I love it
  • Options

I was brought up in Charlton. I've got a SARF LONDON ACCENT - Alright! proud to be a SARF LONDON BOY! (Alright a SARF LONDON nearly a pensioner)

LOL

Willie Duff

• Options
    we are a south east london club - SE7 - no debate needed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2011
    We have done this to death before

we are a south of east London club there you go everyones happy, those that want to split hairs,

Me I am a south east London boy full stop end of,I ain't no east London wanna be, south east London and I love it

Sorry, NLA ..... you're a Nth Londoner now. 

Your username gives you away, you know.
  • Options

If someone said to me "where are you from" I'd say either South London or South-East London (not sure why I'd choose one over the other). I have never, ever heard of anyone from Eltham/Greenwich/Charlton/Woolwich/Lewisham saying they're from East London - they might try and talk like it though !!

And for the preson who made the comment about Chelsea, I think that's the point. If you just look at London and draw lines and say "this place is on that side of the line" then that's where you go wrong. Real Londoners know that neighbourhoods aren't determined by arbitrary lines, more by the people who live there and their shared histories. For example I'd say Chelsea despite it's postcode is more West London than SW. The E in our postcode is misleading, we're in the South-East but have more in common with the people of South London (and dare I say it, Kent) than we do with those Cockney boys over the river !   

• Options

Our youth policy doesn't consist of paying millions for the best youngsters from other clubs and then fooling everyone into thinking we produce loads of talented youngsters.
    wow someone actually replying to the thread topic

Good point, sounds a bit like West ham too.

I am really alluding to their overall policy of prudence, a couple of million in the premiership is surely not that much though

• Options

by that reasoning you must see norwich as the giants of the north-east and newcastle, sunderland and middlesbro northwest clubs.

so does that mean that with ourselves and millwall both being north of fulham, that it now leaves palace to be the biggest club in south london?
  • Options

Our academy is something to be very proud of and it's great we have been able to maintain it to a high standard when we could have easily phased it out in cost- cutting measures over the past few years.

Really frustrating seeing the likes of JJ and Jenkinson and the irsish lad moving to big clubs as soon as they come sniffing but thats inevitable when we are outside the top league.

Keeping it going is a signal of long term intent and will pay dividends should we climb the leagues. 

• Options

"so does that mean that with ourselves and millwall both being north
    of fulham, that it now leaves palace to be the biggest club in south
    london?"

Isn't Croyden in Surrey?

Then Palace are the biggest club in Surrey.
    Or does that SE25 tag give it away?

;o)
  • Options

I always think we are a South london club and me as a Plumstead born, a South londoner.

The line I draw is the Thames, it dosen't matter what shape the line is all you need to know is; everything above is North and below is South.

As for comparing us with another club, I dont and would never. There is nothing like Charlton.

• Options
    In a few years time we'll be the Udinese of the PL
  • Options
    I guess the Valley is just as quiet as the Emirates as well....so a fair analysis.

And @charltonkeston has it right...south & north, the river divides, south east London is very different to the east end and east London, the way people talk, dress, etc easy to tell who's south, north, east & west and everything inbetween.
  • Options
    just as plastic and quiet as the New Den you mean? oh but you've let that turn into a rusting atmosphere free sh*t hole haven't you..

sorry couldn't resist