Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Azarenka and her "whimper"

This bird is taking the piss - there is no need to be making noises like that when you're playing tennis. I reckon she does it just to put the opposition off.

Comments

• Options
    I think most of them do.

The initial reason they are coached to make a noise is to control breathing. Ideally you want to be breathing out as you strike the ball, so coaching young players to make a noise as they hit the ball is an easy way of acheiving this, but far too many in the women's game are now taking the piss. Watching one of the Venus sister's the other day (can't remember/tell which one) it is clear that the grunt is used agressively to try and intimidate the opponent, whilst I can't see Sarapova's screech as anything more than an illegal attempt to distract the opponent.

The authorities really need to clamp down as, for me at least, it is making the women's game completely unwatchable
  • Options
    I've had to stop watching Azarenka and wash the car instead! So annoying.
  • Options
    The thing that annoys me is that they try and justify it by saying "it helps my game"/"I cannot play without doing it". Why then are they able to warm up without howling/grunting/screaming?

It is gamesmanship, no doubt about it. They should've told Monica Seles to shut up when she started doing it years ago. I guess they'll argue "it's too late now."
  • Options
    looking like she's going out, good thing as well considering sharapova could be in the final!
  • Options
    Yes, I've pressed the mute button too, but also because of Tracy Austin's voice : make my teeth (all six of them) gratr.
  • Options
    Sounds like Pacman dying
  • Options
    Azarenka's screech made me support Kvitova