Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arrrrrrrrrr Help - Metal Block

Can someone please tell me the term used to refer to technophobes, was the name of the people who went around smashing up farm machinery when farming first became mechanised and they thought it would take their jobs away!

Comments

• Options
    Ludites
  • Options
    Thank you - that's been driving me mad!
  • Options
    Beat me to it SHG, but i think it is double d.
  • Options
    You're right Half Nelson. Can't beat a double D ;0)
  • Options
    Agreed.
  • Options
    I'm confused. So what does this have to do with a metal block ? :)
  • Options
    An Anvil.
  • Options

Sorry to be pedantic but it was the Captain Swing rioters who smashed up farm machinery, the Luddites wrecked mechanised looms.

• Options
    Swingers then !
  • Options
    Boom. boom!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm confused. So what does this have to do with a metal block ? :)

Presumably they used hammers to smash the machinery. Hammers usually consist of a wooden handle and a block of metal.

Either that or it's a typo!

Sorry to be pedantic but it was the Captain Swing rioters who smashed up farm machinery, the Luddites wrecked mechanised looms.

The English education system fails me again.
  • Options
    Can someone please tell me the term used to refer to technophobes, was the name of the people who went around smashing up farm machinery when farming first became mechanised and they thought it would take their jobs away!
    It did take their jobs away. 

Drove skilled self-employed workers out of the small towns and villages into the growing cities to work for wages in factories.    Nice for the owners of the mills and factories, not nice for the workers.
  • Options
    Exiled Addick said: Hammers usually consist of a wooden handle and a block of metal.

Yep that seems to sum up those from north of the river.