Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

browser help

Any help offered much appreciated.

Home pc is saying broadband is connected , yet it won't upload any pages. Just get it hanging on 'looking up WWW.blah.co.UK' for ten seconds, then goes to 'done'.

Don't want to call oranges rip off support line, so would appreciate any help ta

Comments

• Options
    Any suggestions guys ?
  • Options
    This happens quite often with my computers usually if i just leave it for a while it begins to work if the problem persists u may have to call orange? 
  • Options
    Have you tried switching off your broadband router for 30 seconds, then turning it back on again?

I know it sounds lame but it usually does the trick for me...
  • Options
    You using a windows PC AFKA? If so, open up a command prompt (you'll probably find it in Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt, or if you have access to Start, Run, you can just type cmd ENTER) then type
    ping www.blah.co.uk ENTER
    tracert www.blah.co.uk ENTER
    What happens in each case?
  • Options
    To add to Ali's post, you should also try running
    ping 4.2.2.2 - that at least will show that you have external connectivity (i.e. beyond your local network). If that works, but, for instance, ping www.bbc.co.uk doesn't, then you;ve got a DNS problem (the thing that translates IP addresses like 4.2.2.2 to recognisable names like www.bbc.co.uk).

My best guess - either an ISP problem (flaky DNS servers or an issue with your connection) or you've got some malware that has tried to hijack your browser and chucked a non-existent proxy server in there, or borked your hosts file.

If that all sounds complicated - it isn't really.