Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Matt Fry be one of our centre backs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Career's going backwards...
  • Options
    I work with his best mate

Has had a few trials lately, Burnley last week but his knee swells up like a balloon every time he plays

As he is no Ledley King I expect he will be non league fairly soon

Didnt help that Allardyce didn't rate him or look after him but the end result will be the same
  • Options
    Shame that, he has a lot of potential.
  • Options
    Real shame as he def had the potential to become a decent champ player. Lets hope it can be sorted
  • Options
    He was an average player in a very poor team, shame about his knee etc but even fully fit he wouldn't be good enough for us now (judging on his performances for us)
  • Options
    He was playing at Left Back when he's a centre back so was never going to look great! The time he did play in the middle he looked decent. Shame about the knee
  • Options
    He lives down my road, will go have a word at some point and see what's going on.
  • Options
    Also think playing as left back in the cup match at Spurs wrecked his confidence - he got torn to bits by Andros Townsend. Real shame to hear about his knee, as certainly thought he had potential at centre back.
  • Options
    Signed for Bradford. Parky does rate him
  • Options
    Good luck to him, hopefully he'll do well there maybe even make the centre back spot his own
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If his knees hold up I wouldn't be surprised to see him rise back to at least Championship standard
  • Options
    He was on trial at the Gills last week and they said no.
  • Options
    On loan or purchase?

• Options
    He was on trial at the Gills last week and they said no.
    I think that over the last 20 or 30 years they have shown that they know nothing about defending, so I wouldn't let that worry you!
  • Options
    No. Lacks pace as a full back (Green mullered him at Daggers last season), and lacks strength in the air at centre back (Brentford directed high balls at him at Griffin Park last season and he was easily out-battled). Positional play was also poor at Colchester, where he was also mullered. We need to sign Championship standard players.
  • Options
    No. Lacks pace as a full back (Green mullered him at Daggers last season), and lacks strength in the air at centre back (Brentford directed high balls at him at Griffin Park last season and he was easily out-battled). Positional play was also poor at Colchester, where he was also mullered. We need to sign Championship standard players.
    Agreed with all of that, he was decent in league 1 at best IMO.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    On loan or purchase?

It would seem that he was released from West Ham so he has signed a permanent contract until the end of this season.

It does make me wonder if his latest injury has finished him off there. He is 21 and hasn't payed much at Championship or above and West Ham fancy themselves as a Premier League club, but were always keen to keep him 'for the future'.

I do agree, though, that he never looked real class for us in the third division, which he should have done if he was going to make it in the Premier League.
  • Options
    yer Allardyce never liked him, he lives just round the corner from me and was unhappy at his treatment at the start of the season. Spoke 2 him earlier when I was walkin the dog, he said he doesnt want to move up north permanently. He phoned Powelly when he was told he was being released but Powell said he didnt want him. Has suffered with injuries but its more been 1 persistent one than being injury prone, I think its unfair to label him a crock. Will end up playing league 1 football minimum IMO
  • Options
    Sorry, I wasn't suggesting he is a crock, just that having missed a lot of this season (when the Hammers have been in the Championship) means that he has been unable to establish himself, and it will be even harder to do so in the Premier League.
  • Options
    Looked an honest hardworking player for us but I believe we now have better.

He deserves a career though and, given their woeful defence at the moment, I'm amazed he didn't get a gig at Gillingham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    im very surprised we didnt get him. i really rated him, hes young with plenty of potential and can play in a number of positions. plus we could have got him on a free.

he would have fought with cort for a centre back position, and most importantly would mean doherty would be even further away from the first team (if he isnt already that is)
  • Options
    The answer is no .. he's too short for a modern central defender. His future lies at full back or possibly left sided midfield
  • Options
    The answer is no .. he's too short for a modern central defender. His future lies at full back or possibly left sided midfield
    Not good enough for us I'd agree but height isn't his problem. He's 6 ft, same as Morrison.

Might work his way back to the Championship if things work out for him, but then that depends on a lot of things.

No one rated Cranie but he's played Champ football for a few years now. Fry's still very young for a defender and I'm sure he'd improve with games.
  • Options
    Not good enough for us I'd agree but height isn't his problem. He's 6 ft, same as Morrison.

Might work his way back to the Championship if things work out for him, but then that depends on a lot of things.

No one rated Cranie but he's played Champ football for a few years now. Fry's still very young for a defender and I'm sure he'd improve with games.
    OK.. he looks shorter than that !! I wish him all the best, he tried hard for us and now appears to have no future at West Ham .. Bradford is a sleeping giant of a club and if PP can get his and the club's acts together, Fry might have a career there.