Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First black pro footballer

A grant of £117,000 has
been awarded to a Sheffield organisation to tell the story of football's
first professional black player.

Football Unites, Racism Divides (FURD) wants to raise the
profile of Arthur Wharton, who played for Sheffield United and Rotherham
Town in the 1890s.

He was also a highly skilled professional athlete and cricketer.

FURD is hoping to run drama workshops, a Victorian sports
day, a travelling exhibition, create teaching packs and an interactive
website.

Wharton was born in 1865 in Jamestown, Gold Coast, which is
now Ghana. His father was half Grenadian and half Scottish. His mother
was a Ghanaian royal.

This privileged background meant he was sent to Britain for an
English education in the early 1880s, where he excelled in sports.

In 1886, Wharton won the AAA's blue riband 100 yards event at Stamford Bridge.

He played for Rotherham Town, Sheffield United, Preston North
End and Stockport County during his career between 1886 and 1902. He
died in a workhouse sanatorium in 1930.

In 1997, FURD raised money to place a headstone on his unmarked grave in Edlington, near Doncaster.

Comments

• Options
    I thought the first black player was a Preston player, anyway as an overall education investment quite good.

who was our first black player?
  • Options
    Tennis Unites, Racism Divides are a crap organisation
  • Options

Agree that education is always good. 

However  I do find it strange and quite patronising why people's  skin colour in football in this day and age is even an issue?

I find it almost divisive. Difficult to explain what i mean really without misinterpreting the point i mean. The professional game only started about 5 years before Wharton signed so I fail to see the relevance and find it a bit odd he is being honoured purely because of the colour of his skin.

• Options
    Well, if they wanna give me £117k, i'll gladly do research on the first ginger to play professional football. ;-)
  • Options
    I thought the first black player was a Preston player, anyway as an overall education investment quite good.

Could be wrong but i think it was Steve Stacey who was on loan for one game in which i think he scored
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, if they wanna give me £117k, i'll gladly do research on the first ginger to play professional football. ;-)

That's in a way sort of the point i mean.  Im not black or a kid but i can imagine that black kids have enough role models in football black and white nowdays to inspire them.

Whilst it is good to educate surely that money could have been better spent on football courses, training facilities targeting the demographic it is targetting (or all areas of the community better still).  Think kids would be more into that than a museum exhibition paying tribute to an uber- privileged chap who theyd probably have little interest in.

May be well wide of the mark and apologies if so.

• Options

Steve Stacey as far as I know.

He played (and scored in I believe) one match in 1969ish.

• Options
    I always thought that Clyde Best was the first black footballer. Shows you how much I know.
  • Options
    Tottenham Hotspur's Walter Tull was the first outfield black player to participate in the Top Flight of English Football when he signed for Spurs in 1908.

In addition, Tull became the first black officer in the British Army, despite standing orders prohibiting this.

His fascinating but all too short a life was the subject of a recent BBC TV drama.

Legendary Football Players: Walter Tull

LLegendary Football Players: Walter Tullegendary Football Players: Walter Tull
  • Options
    Apart from Steve Stacey on loan (as Len says), wasn't Leroy Ambrose our first contracted black player to play in the first team?
    Phil Walker was signed from Millwall around the same time.

Somebody will know for sure.

;o)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tull had quite a distinguished military career.  Apart from being awarded his commission he was cited for bravery too.  Sadly he was killed towards the end of WWI.
  • Options
    Tull had quite a distinguished military career.  Apart from being awarded his commission he was cited for bravery too.  Sadly he was killed towards the end of WWI.
    I recall seeing the BBC programme about him. It didn't really touch on the football side of his life apart from the odd reference. It was all about the last 2 yrs of his life. Must have been one hell of a struggle for him.
  • Options
    Steve Stacey wins by a mile - he played in 1969/70 season.

• Options

That's in a way sort of the point i mean.  Im not black or a kid but i can imagine that black kids have enough role models in football black and white nowdays to inspire them.

Whilst it is good to educate surely that money could have been better spent on football courses, training facilities targeting the demographic it is targetting (or all areas of the community better still).  Think kids would be more into that than a museum exhibition paying tribute to an uber- privileged chap who theyd probably have little interest in.

May be well wide of the mark and apologies if so.

You raise a very fair point. £117k is a lot of dough to be spending raising the profile of someone who played football over 100 years ago!

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Apart from Steve Stacey on loan (as Len says), wasn't Leroy Ambrose our first contracted black player to play in the first team?

;o)

LOL

No - I believe Phil Walker predates Leroy.

And by 'predates', I mean he played for us before - not that he eats him.
  • Options

;o)

LOL

No - I believe Phil Walker predates Leroy.

And by 'predates', I mean he played for us before - not that he eats him.
    Laurie Abrahams predates both?
  • Options
    Sam Bartram was ours. Black as the ace of spades he was when he first came down.

• Options

Agree that education is always good. 

However  I do find it strange and quite patronising why people's  skin colour in football in this day and age is even an issue?

I find it almost divisive. Difficult to explain what i mean really without misinterpreting the point i mean. The professional game only started about 5 years before Wharton signed so I fail to see the relevance and find it a bit odd he is being honoured purely because of the colour of his skin.

I see your point. Unfortunately, there are still a fair chunk of idiots/'fans' across the world, who still permeate the game with irrational hatred for players with a darker skin tone.

In some places, it sounds like it's getting worse. I read an article a few days ago about a black player(I can't remember who) playing in Eastern Europe(Ukraine or Russia), & he said that when he first started playing there, he had no problems, but during the last couple of seasons, racist groups have started going to matches as a  way of spreading their doctrines & getting their hatred across in 'legal' crowd situations.

Until these arseholes can be erradicated from our game, it will always be an issue, sadly.
  • Options
    But surely to get the message across to these (grits teeth as he uses the word) people, then surely a current black player would get it done better than pointing out to them that "one of them" was playing our game a hundred and twenty years ago? I understand the reason for Remembering him as he was a landmark player but but for the purpose of fighting racism, can't see it doing too much.
  • Options
    My first ever Charlton game was circa 1958 at home to Cardiff. They had a black player (played on the wing) and the Charlton crowd were calling him 'chocolate drop', albeit with good humour. Pretty huge in those days to see a coloured guy in the flesh playing football
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MAT

I bet the 'chocolate drop' fell about laughing because it was all said 'with good humour.'  How many would now see the Black and White Minstrels as simply 'good humoured' entertainment?  Thankfully we have developed.
  • Options
    MAT

I bet the 'chocolate drop' fell about laughing because it was all said 'with good humour.'  How many would now see the Black and White Minstrels as simply 'good humoured' entertainment?  Thankfully we have developed.
    Yeah, but you shouldn't always judge past times entirely by todays accepted standards or practices.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    But surely to get the message across to these (grits teeth as he uses the word) people, then surely a current black player would get it done better than pointing out to them that "one of them" was playing our game a hundred and twenty years ago? I understand the reason for Remembering him as he was a landmark player but but for the purpose of fighting racism, can't see it doing too much.
    There are plenty of modern day players, & plenty of old players from decades gone by who have all put themselves forward for campaigns such as 'Lets kick racism out of football'. I believe all English clubs are signed upto that too. However, racism is still prevalent across the footballing globe.

Thankfully, people have become more civilised over the years, especially in the English game, but sadly there are still morons who have grown up with irrational hatred for people of different ethnicities, people who have grown up with this ignorance in their families & communities, who will continue to demonstrate such idiocy.
    Maybe because they don't know better, or are young, but no excuse as they get older.

Sadly, with risng global tensions over terrorism, religion, politics, etc, things may get worse overall, & people may become wary & suspicious of others of other ethnicities. From the rising in Nationalistic political parties over the past few years, I would see that as a sad indication of some 'people' allowing that rationality they may have had, grow a little bit wonky in light of some of the senseless shit we have seen from all warring factions.

The article I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, about a player in Eastern Europe, & also the recent banana incident involving Roberto Carlos, & the seemingly worsening treatment players get in places like Italy, from various fascist sets of 'fans', would indicate a rise in this vile practise.

I think the Wharton story is very significant, & he definitely deserves recognition, especially as back then, very few people would have ever seen a black person before, let alone a black player. I think he would've faced a large amount of abuse, shock & downright rude, & possibly rudely curious people & tricky situations. To come through that & still do well is something to admire. Bit of triumph over adversity n'all that.

Will it get through to people, educate & inspire? I hope so!
  • Options
    MAT

Point taken. I suppose what I was trying to say was that the comments were pretty tame compared to what was hapening in the 70s/80s/90s (and now) which is vitriolic and agressive. I wasn't saying it was good.
  • Options

Steve Stacey as far as I know.

He played (and scored in I believe) one match in 1969ish.

you're right Len.  One game, one goal on loan from Ipswich. 7th Feb 1970
  • Options
    What about Gill Scott Heron's dad at Celtic?
  • Options
    What about Gill Scott Heron's dad at Celtic?
    Gil Heron played for Celtic in the early 50s.  Was their first Black player.
  • Options
    Thanks, Henry. I stupidly thought it was a bit earlier than that.
  • Options

THFC6061 - Tull went on to sign for Rangers but never played 

hawksmoor - despite his father's playing career or perhaps because of it, Gill Scott Heron claims to be a Rangers fan
  • Options
    steve stacey goal was a last minute header into the covered end goal against uddersfeeled ...cant remember if it was an equaliser or a 2-1 defeat ..i can remember we was rubbish

i happen to share rodneys views