Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff U £40M in debt - Darius Henderson to Millwall

The Blades are struggling under the weight of £40million debts, with relegation into League One set to hit them even harder.

Trimming their wage bill was a priority this summer, and Henderson was among the high earners they were keen to move on.The opportunity to link up with Millwallimage appealed to the striker and he has penned a two-year contract with the Lions.imageHe has taken a substantial pay cut in moving to The Den, but claims he was willing to do so in order to help the Blades in their hour of need."Last season was the worst of my career," said Henderson."I hold myself personally responsible for United's relegation because I didn't play enough games or score enough goals to help keep them up."I would have been happy to stay in Sheffield but, equally, I didn't want to be a drain on their finances

Comments

• Options
    How did they manage to be in so much debt?  Weren't they paid a fortune in compensation by WestHam?
  • Options
    Read that Henderson was on 15k a week, hell of a lot of money for an average player. If they were paying Henderson that much, there would be others on similar amounts- can't have helped with all that debt.
  • Options
    I've got a feeling W Ham still owe them a considerable amount, but I may be wrong.
  • Options

I've got a feeling W Ham still owe them a considerable amount, but I may be wrong.

The payment was structured to be paid in annual instalments.

• Options
    Really can't see Sheff Utd being a force this season, plus their fans don't like Wilson and as soo as they get a few bad results they'll be calling for his head and it could get messy
  • Options

If they were paying footballing luminaries like Darius Henderson and who knows who else £15k a week then it's no wonder they are heavily in debt.

• Options

I had heard of a Sheffield resident a couple of months ago that this was the case - that's why I never considered them a real threat this year.

It appears they are fairly deep in the doo-doo...

• Options
    Well, that's them in admin by October, nice clean slate, token ten-point deduction, 30,000 fans a week pouring cash into their coffers and instant promotion assured then. My God football is diseased.
  • Options
    Well, that's them in admin by October, nice clean slate, token ten-point deduction, 30,000 fans a week pouring cash into their coffers and instant promotion assured then. My God football is diseased.
    Yeah. Seems to be the easy route out these days, but what's the alternative other than to fold them up? I think maybe the league should up the ante by just relegating them. I'm sure they'd think twice if it meant playing L2 next season.
  • Options
    they seem to be about 3 years behind us on the post premiership slump path so by rights they should be half decent but ultimately not good enough to go up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ched Evans 25k per week. Need I go on?
  • Options
    30,000 a week when they're 20th in league 1? I doubt it.
  • Options
    Especially not when they've had to sell their entire squad......
  • Options
    If Ched Evans stays he will score some goals in this league...
  • Options
    Yeah. Seems to be the easy route out these days, but what's the alternative other than to fold them up? I think maybe the league should up the ante by just relegating them. I'm sure they'd think twice if it meant playing L2 next season.
    Yeah, that's actually a sensible suggestion. The problem is, the only way you could enforce it is to say that any team going into administration is automatically relegated the next season - which would make the rest of their fixtures that season something of a sick joke. The real reason teams abuse the admin route is because they know they're playing a blinking game with the FL and IR. There's no way they will ever wind-up a team because too many of them have been allowed to abuse the administration route - the first league team that gets truly close to being wound up will just scream blue murder about past precedent. What should have happened by now is that one of the teams that have frankly taken the piss the last few years (Sotuhampton and Portsmouth are the ones that spring easily to mind) should have gone to the wall. That would stop it all in one fell swoop.
  • Options
    I make you right. My definition of 'some' would be about five
  • Options

Christ, I didn't realise he was still with them.

£25K per week you say?

Man alive.  As Leroy intimated - he seemed the sort of player that would piss it at championship level and then he went on to be totally underwhelming for his 25 big ones per week.  On paper he should piss this league as well, but................we shall see.

• Options
    As BD said they are three years or so behind us in terms of post prem slide and sounds like they have a higher debt and bigger wages.

We've gone thru the DIY admin and the takeover so we are a lean, mean fighting machine ready to kick sand in the faces of the rest of the division ( I hope)

• Options
    I make you right. My definition of 'some' would be about five

He wont be there. They are desperately trying to offload him and about 5 others.
  • Options
    Who will take him on £25k a week? He'll either have to take a massive pay cut which he won't do I doubt or Sheff Utd will have to spend more money to pay him off and release him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    ....and there's the rub!
  • Options
    For clubs going into administration, I reckon they should deduct 10 points and then give them only 2 points for a win for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Who will take him on £25k a week? He'll either have to take a massive pay cut which he won't do I doubt or Sheff Utd will have to spend more money to pay him off and release him.

He's stated he will take the pay cut in order to help Utd!