Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What was the loudest concert you've ever been to?

...and do you think it permanently damaged your hearing? For me Motorhead at Brixton last year was in my opinion too loud. I don't mind a high level of volume but it was so distorted as to become inaudible.

Other than that Airbourne at Hammersmith, Metallica at the O2 and Dio at the Astoria left my ears ringing for days. Plus AC/DC at Wembley Arena but then again I was right next to Angus's amp which was obviously turned all the way up to the max.

They say that The Who at the Valley is up there as one of the loudest gigs ever, anybody on here go?

Comments

• I don't know about the loudest, but my hearing has definitely been damaged by loud music at gigs and clubs. If there's background noise I struggle to keep up, like in a pub talking to your mates, when there's a lot of others also chatting away.
  • edited July 2011

loudest for me was brixton academy aswell, though it was chemical brothers playing. came out for a bottle of water up in the gallery bit and the floor was bouncing up and down as i was standing waiting to be served... now ive been to that place a lot for live gigs over the years but never have i felt that happen to such an extent!

big who thread on here already somewhere tommy, pics, and other sorts of chat about that day mate as your interseted. dont ask me where though?

AND MY HEARING IS FINE THANKS!!! ;o)

• Tangerine Dream at the Albert Hall.  Late 70's.  Looking around half the audience had their fingers in their ears!  In the paper next day it said that the concert exceeded health & safety guidelines and peaked at 140 decibels!!
  • Didn't The Who play twice at The Valley?

Pete Townsend is pretty much deaf now. I read an interview the other day with Roger Daltrey where it was mentioned. Daltrey's going to be touring Tommy without Townsend.
  • Metallica at the O2 on their Death Magnetic tour - christ, the O2 hasnt rocked like that before or after.
    Metallica at Wembley in June 2007 was awesome too.
    Megadeth at Brixton was pretty cool too.
  • Mogwai sometime in 2003 or 2004 was mine. Though that might have been accentuated by the quiet/loud dynamics rather than the actual volume. 
  • Been to a far too many gigs where hearing has taken a few days to get back to normal afterwards - know I'm going to pay for it later in life!

Going to Primus at Brixton next week so expecting something similar to happen then.
  • Mogwai sometime in 2003 or 2004 was mine. Though that might have been accentuated by the quiet/loud dynamics rather than the actual volume. 
    Saw them do a secret gig in Hoxton Square earlier this year - that's another one that took a while to hear again properly
  • ...and do you think it permanently damaged your hearing? For me Motorhead at Brixton last year was in my opinion too loud. I don't mind a high level of volume but it was so distorted as to become inaudible.

Other than that Airbourne at Hammersmith, Metallica at the O2 and Dio at the Astoria left my ears ringing for days. Plus AC/DC at Wembley Arena but then again I was right next to Angus's amp which was obviously turned all the way up to the max.

They say that The Who at the Valley is up there as one of the loudest gigs ever, anybody on here go?

I was there .. great gig, and the first time out, if I remember correctly for Bad Company and Humble Pie with the late great Steve Marriot and Peter Frampton. I was up on the terrace, opposite the stage which was located in the old cricket club stand. The sound was excellent though i guess it was LOUD nearer to the stage.

This was the first time I can recall a band using pre recorded loops in a live performance .. Baba O'Reily and Wont get Fooled Again. I'd seen the Whgo years before at the old Witchdoctor Club in Catford when their repertoire was mostly old Beach Boys numbers and early stuff like Can't Explain.

There were a lot of others acts there that day but Bad Company, Humble Pie and the great Who were the standouts. It was a great day, lovely weather, I was young and with great friends and a beautiful (ex) girlfriend ... them was indeed the days. 

• I didn't attend either Who concert but could hear it quite well at Shooters Hill!
  • Sponsored links:

• Motorhead Hammersmith Odeon about 81/82 - that hurt!!
  • my hearing is pretty poor after almost 20 years of going to gigs, particularly the early metal years.

pantera at the town and country club in 93 i remember being particularly damaging. great gig though.
  • Didn't The Who play twice at The Valley?

Pete Townsend is pretty much deaf now. I read an interview the other day with Roger Daltrey where it was mentioned. Daltrey's going to be touring Tommy without Townsend.

My missus bought me a meet & greet package for his show at the 02 in a couple of weeks for my birthday.

Not the loudest overall but the worst my ears have ever been was after seeing The Troggs at the Crypt in Deptford in the early 80's. Although ACDC at Wembley ran them a close 2nd.

• A band called The Truth at the old Marquee Club in Wardour St in about1985. Prob cos we were right up against the stage.

Couldn't walk straight afterwards.

That was also the hottest.

• Motorhead for me too.........but I thought the Hammy Odeon was a bit later, maybe 83 or 84 (Bomber tour)
  • A band called The Truth at the old Marquee Club in Wardour St in about1985. Prob cos we were right up against the stage.

Couldn't walk straight afterwards.

That was also the hottest.

I think I may have been there. I certainly saw them at the Marquee. I used to have drum lessons with their first drummer, Gary Wallis, who was the biggest Casual going, and then was forced to wear Mod outfits when he joined The Truth.
  • Bananarama at Wembley Arena. Boy them girls rocked it that night!
  • AC/DC at Wembley Arena - standing underneath a frikkin great cannon, in front of the bass amps.

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK - FIRE!!!!

Deaf as a post for hours after that.
  • The Nolan Sisters for me, the Odean Woolwich was rocking.

Was grounded for the Who concert, but could hear it from my bedroom window.

• Sponsored links:

• Hendrix and Cream (different dates) at Bromley Court Hotel. But that place was sooooo small that everyone who played there was  L O U D

• The Who, the night they closed Lewisham Odean. Early '80s.

These kids nowdays have never heard loud.

As I mentioned on a post a week or so back, Hyde Park is rubbish.

Like a transistor radio on a beach.

• Motorhead for me too.........but I thought the Hammy Odeon was a bit later, maybe 83 or 84 (Bomber tour)
    Make you right Mr Golf, its all this loud music, I dont know what year it is!!!
  • Motorhead at the Marquee...My ears are still stinging after 30 odd years
  • The Nolan Sisters for me, the Odean Woolwich was rocking.

Was grounded for the Who concert, but could hear it from my bedroom window.

Pardon, speak up a bit!
  • Motorhead at the Marquee...My ears are still stinging after 30 odd years

VM, I also saw Motorhead at the Marquee.  I think it was a fan club gig, which my friend was a member, in around 1983. I seem to remember that I could not hear anything straight after the gig and I could hear a high pitch noise for a couple of weeks after.

• Napalm Death at the Marquee. Ears were ringing for weeks afterwards.
  • Was at The Valley for both Who gigs, the noise was nothing like as loud as a Patti Smith gig I saw a few years later. I had ringing ears for days.
  • Funny, when I think of loud artists, Patti Smith wouldn't be the first to come to mind.
  • Was at both Who gigs at The Valley, the noise level was nothing like as loud as a Patti Smith gig I saw a few years later. I was hearing impaired for days