Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This Sankoka appeal larky

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Why the secrecy with what the judge said? Surely judgements of the High Court are a matter of public record. Anyone know if this is right for sure or not?

I've tried a quick Google search but can't find any mention of it. Any lawyers on here who can cast any light?

Comments

• Options
    Good shout, that did go all quiet didn't it? I can only suspect that the FA put the case forward that maybe it would set a precedent and would open the floodgates for all appeals to be questioned in a court of law?

Still reckon they wouldn't have upped the ban for John Terry or Fat Frank.
  • Options
    theres a story on the main site (or is that where this thread stemmed from?)
  • Options
    I have been doing some digging around this today and it seems that it is not unusual for judgments to not be published. However members of the public can (i believe) apply to see any documents used in the case for the princely sum of 100 english pounds.

I am planning an article on this but currently other than saying the whole thing smells a bit, I don't really know anything.
  • Options
    Could you perhaps describe the smell for us?
  • Options
    not yet i'm afraid.
  • Options
    It does seem strange, I'm no legal expert but as this is a precedent and it is likely that further clubs/players will fall foul of this law that the judges should publish their rationale behind upholding the decision. If they choose to challenge the decision in the courts then they need to know what the legal position is.

The cynic in me thinks that the FA needed a case to introduce the new law in action and a low-profile player at a small club is perfect - and better to use someone like Sankofa than a player that will generate headlines. Outside of Charlton who has heard of Sankofa?

I hope this doesn't become his claim to fame.
  • Options
    He was the first Premier player to fall foul of this ruling to my knowledge, but quite a few players from outside the premier have had suspensions increased before his case.
  • Options
    not yet i'm afraid.
  • Options
    Maybe Henry could cough up the ton and claim it back from the club as expenses?

In fact, Henry has probably read the judgement already - haven't you H?
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm currently doing a bit of "behind the scenes" work for you and am hoping to be able to get hold of a copy. Will keep you posted.

ETA It appears that the judgment will be made public at some point, but they don't have a fixed date for this as yet. Be sure I will keep a look out for it though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Maybe Henry could cough up the ton and claim it back from the club as expenses?

In fact, Henry has probably read the judgement already - haven't you H?

I have, The things I've learnt about high courts/writs/injunctions this year! Nothing about football but a lot about the law.

I will be convincing my son that a career in law will be a good idea. ££££££££££££
  • Options
    Can't you whisper me the upshot then - just to save me a oner?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Can't you whisper me the upshot then - just to save me a oner?
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Can't you whisper me the upshot then - just to save me a oner?

No! Save your money and join Valley Gold.
  • Options
    Thanks Henry - very helpful.

Is it too late to take back my vote for the supporters representative director?
  • Options
    far, far too late.

I would tell you but we had to sign in blood not to tell. (well, not really but we were told firmly not to leak it). Personally I wouldn't spend £100 to find out what may come out in public at sometime anyway.
  • Options
    Just as well I voted for Vince then.