Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Couple of Music/Laptop questions for you IT experts

edited July 2011 in Not Sports Related
Hi peeps, bit of help needed.

I have been DJ'ing for years and promised myself that this year I would have a go using my laptop instead of lugging six cases of CD's with me everywhere I go.

A mate of mine has supplied me with an external hard drive with many thousands of Karaoke and music tracks on it, the problem is that I have been downloading for yonks and have my own music collection stored on windows media player/music. I have always downloaded in mp3 format, but I just can't seem to get the external hard drive to accept them. Any suggestions?

I am using virtual dj studio with ngsearch on my laptop.

Secondly, I have been introduced to DILANDAU music download site by another DJ who rates it. Having had bad experiences with these types of site before, does anyone use it and more importantly is it safe?

Thanking you in anticipation

Al

Comments

• I know it sounds a daft question to ask but does the hard drive have no more space? Also where do you download your music from? If it from Itunes they have protected the songs well and you can not copy the same song.

I had the same feeling as you with CD's but it can get a bit boring when just using the laptop but I then bought this which does the business for me.

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/computers-software/total-control-78847/review
  • The hard drive has plenty of space left.

I can insert a CD and rip it into mp3 format and that goes into the external hard drive with no problem. I just can't seem to overcome the problem of transferring from media player to external hard drive even as previously stated music has been purchased in mp3 format. Probably something simple I am not doing, but it's puzzling me at the moment.

Probably because of using a couple of dodgy download sites in the past, my previous computer crashed and I lost everything, so I have been very wary of using them again. I have been paying using Amazon and Tesco and they seemed to have been excellent over the last couple of years. That's why I am asking about DILANDOU, which on the surface seems ok, but would prefer some reviews before taking the plunge.

Thanks for the info with regards the musicradar site.

• The hard drive has plenty of space left.

I can insert a CD and rip it into mp3 format and that goes into the external hard drive with no problem. I just can't seem to overcome the problem of transferring from media player to external hard drive even as previously stated music has been purchased in mp3 format. Probably something simple I am not doing, but it's puzzling me at the moment.

Probably because of using a couple of dodgy download sites in the past, my previous computer crashed and I lost everything, so I have been very wary of using them again. I have been paying using Amazon and Tesco and they seemed to have been excellent over the last couple of years. That's why I am asking about DILANDOU, which on the surface seems ok, but would prefer some reviews before taking the plunge.

Thanks for the info with regards the musicradar site.

It might be worth trying to upload all your music to Itunes then try it from there because I don't have problems what you got and I use Itunes. The only explanation I could find though is when you can't transfer the music on to the hard drive some of the tunes may be protected. Try and transfer one song to the hard drive and see how it goes. If it still does not work I would suggest you sign up to the virtual DJ website and they have a forum where they can help you with technical problems.

I never heard of DILANDOU but I would be interested to know what it is like but I have learned not to trust these download sites until I take a good look at it. I used napster before they got taken to court and some of the songs had awful quality.
  • When you say the external hard drive won't accept them, it won't let you copy them across, or you can't read them once you do? Also, how are you trying to copy them across?
  • Ali, it won't let me copy them across. On everything else, I simply right click the mouse and use the 'send to' option and send them to the external hard drive, no problem. But from Media Player, I'm not given the option. I've tried sending them to other files and then copy across, but it still doesn't work.
  • It sounds as if your trying to copy them directly out of media player onto the drive? I doubt it works because it's not the physical file, just a pointer to it for media player. You need to find the actual location of the file on your hard drive and copy it from there.

• Do the operation from windows explore and you can then right click and send to. 
    It you are still have major problems inbox me and I can see if I can help you.