Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holiday advice

Morning all, just after some nice advice for once! off on holidays in a few weeks and just got a few questions if anyone can answer or lend me some of there worldly knowledge and guidance.

1. off to the lake district, week one of my 2 weeks off with family and a certain low life CL member! have never been before, whats worth seeing and not to miss up there? also whats the best route to drive up there, i thought it was just passed Manchester but had a look at the map and gulped when i saw how bloody far away it is! bearing in mind i will have a 2 year old in the back seat will either need the quickest route or one with some good places to stop off to rest and refuel.

2. second week, off to a place called Almafa? a eurocamp place just outside benidorm, anyone been? never been to benidorm and really not sure if i would want to spend much time down there, as above any good places to go/avoid? most importantly tho it will be my boys first time on a plane, he loves looking at them and playing with his own toy planes so im hoping he will be ok, i have loaded my ipad up with episodes of peppa pig and humf for him to watch if he freaks out anyone got any good tips? he is a really good boy and hopefully will just love it but just incase would love some top dad tips.

cheers all.

Ad

Comments

• Options
    ad, make sure you dont go out for a family dinner at sticky vickys
  • Options

me and choice are going benny on monday if i remember anything about it when we get back i'll let ya know :)

• Options
    For me an absolute must in the Lake District is the Laurel and Hardy Museum in Ulverston.  
  • Options
    adsads
    edited July 2011
    Keswick and the honister pass is a nice area, as are Buttermere.  Ambleside and Grasmere are good towns in the lakes.  Whereabouts are you going to be based?  a drive over the wrynose/hardknott pass is a must (if you're car is in decent nick!)
  • Options
    Striding edge is a must if you are doing any walks in the lake district!!!

http://www.stridingedge.net/Lake District Features/Striding Edge.htm
  • Options
    2. My advice is to leave the Ipad until you're in the air as there's no way
    that he'll be able to let that take his mind off the noise and
    vibrations at take-off. If you've got a window seat then let him use it (with you next to him of course). That way he can actually see why the plane is making that horrible noise. My 3 year old was scared the first time but by doing a countdown as the plane goes down the runway and making it fun, he quite liked it once the plane was actually off the ground. Take one of his toy planes on board too as that way you can make comparisons with the real thing.
  • Options
    take a lolly for him to suck on as the plane starts to take off it may help stop his ears from hurting/popping
  • Options
    Lake District is really nice. We went a few years back when our first was a similar age and enjoyed it.

My advice would be to be prepared for bad weather. It rained for virtually the whole week we were there - I guess those lakes don't just make themselves! - but the scenery is breathtaking and well worth it (when the mist clears!)

As you've got a little one you obviously won't be doing too much walking but that's fine as we drove everywhere and still got to see/experience more or less everything we wanted.

We got a boat across one of the lakes one day to an aquarium - can't remember where. To be honest the aqu3ium wasn't all that, but it was a good excuse to get out on the lake. I think there's also a steam train somewhere, which is handy if the weather is really shit.

As for the journey, I think we went M1/M6 before turning off right up past Blackpool somewhere. Bloody long way. Seemed to take forever. Good luck with that!
  • Options
    Benidorm, make use of the little two carriage coastal railway to get around. Village of Altea in hills worth a visit. Never been but Aqualandia water park meant to be good. Town much more classy than old days.
  • Options

Benidorm is ok for a day trip just to say you've been, but full of northeners! Beaches are nice.

Probably ok for Nick and Choice who I'm sure have different agendas!

One place that is well worth a visit is:-

Les Fonts de L'Algar (Algar waterfalls), Costa Blanca, Spain

About 30 minutes drive north of Benidorm. It's absolutely stunning, crystal clear, cool waters that you can swim in, fantastic scenery and waterfalls. We only had a half day there, but lots of families stayed for the day (take swimming costumes, towels and a packed lunch). There is a restaurant on site though. If your'e not driving, lots of minibus excursions go there

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't go to Aqualand unless you enjoy queueing for hours.
  • Options

One place that is well worth a visit is:-

Les Fonts de L'Algar (Algar waterfalls), Costa Blanca, Spain

About 30 minutes drive north of Benidorm. It's absolutely stunning, crystal clear, cool waters that you can swim in, fantastic scenery and waterfalls. We only had a half day there, but lots of families stayed for the day (take swimming costumes, towels and a packed lunch). There is a restaurant on site though. If your'e not driving, lots of minibus excursions go there

Couldn't agree more about this - absolutely lovely place.  Water is freezing cold but that is great as the weather is so hot.  Make sure you wear shoes you can wear in the water as it can be hard on the feet if walking through the fonts.  It's definitely a must visit though.

Aqualandia is also really good but as said above can be busy.  The slides are fantastic though - particularly the steep yellow one. 

• Options
    Anyone reccomend some good day trips.........
    2-3 hours from SE London /North Kent.
    Not Southend, or Margate please...... 
    Going to  Southwold area for a couple of days, as it has been 20 years since the last visit.
    Decent pubs/countryside/..........

After bringing up three kids over the past 25 years be good to avoid theme parks and there like?

Went down to Dorset and  although wonderful took hours 4-5 weeks ago.......
    Thought that Dungeness might be a idea, as people on here suggested it a while back.
  • Options
    Fell foot by lake windomere is fantastic, loved going as a kid and it's pretty safe for children to swim there:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-fellfootpark
  • Options
    Adam make sure you avoid Grange Over Sands ... you have been warned!

Its like a beach without a beach , the remnants of a nuclear spillage , what a dump!
  • Options
    Anyone reccomend some good day trips.........
    2-3 hours from SE London /North Kent.
    Not Southend, or Margate please...... 
    Going to  Southwold area for a couple of days, as it has been 20 years since the last visit.
    Decent pubs/countryside/..........

After bringing up three kids over the past 25 years be good to avoid theme parks and there like?

Went down to Dorset and  although wonderful took hours 4-5 weeks ago.......
    Thought that Dungeness might be a idea, as people on here suggested it a while back.
    Dungeness is a bit desolate for my liking - and you come back with the feeling that you're glowing like a Ready Brek kid what with the huge nuclear power station there - but if you combine it with a trip on the Hythe and Dymchurch railway then it's a good day out. You can get off the train at Dymchurch and New Romney for a walk about too, so you can always go back again if you like the look of it.

Obviously there's Canterbury too, which is nice, or Port Lympe wildlife park is a good day out - but be prepared for plenty of walking as it's huge!

Leeds/Hever castle if you like the stately home type of castle, Scotney/Bodiam Castles if you prefer more ruins. Or Knowle Park and the house there, or Chartwell.

Ightham Mote isn't far away also, and there are some cracking pubs to get some food in around there.

Joss Bay near Broadstairs if the weather's nice and you fancy a sandy beach that's not too crowded/full of chavs. Brighton is still nice if you fancy more of a built up seaside vibe and don't mind a stoney beach.

(See, I can be serious and quite helpful sometimes. Sometimes.)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips 'off it'......

I did some of the homes about 25 years ago when I had a national trust pass.......
    some great houses.

• Options

M6 up to junction 45 i think which is Kendal then drive through to lakes, benidorm is ok nice beaches bit ladish plenty of stags out there.