Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0 - 1 Cardiff | Friendly | 15th July 2011

WSSWSS
edited July 2011 in General Charlton
Charlton’s pre-season trip to Spain comes to a conclusion on Friday with a match up against perennial Premier League nearly men, Cardiff at Estadio Guadalquivir del Coria CF, we are likely to see the two-teams-one-game approach taken once more by Powell and his team. 

Establishing partnerships and understandings will be viewed from afar until we arrive back to the less glamourous surroundings of Aldershot and Woking when we will hopefully see the inner workings of Chris Powell’s mind coming to fruition ahead of the season’s opener - which is now just a touch over three weeks away. 

Hype has descended onto the young Spaniard Ruben Bover in the aftermath of the first two pre-season games, although Charlton fans should not expect to see him feature heavily in the League this season – not from the beginning anyway. The likes of Hollands, Green, Evina and Hayes have all shown promise and they’ll be hoping to have big seasons themselves along with all of the other new arrivals. We also shouldn’t forget the “old-guard” such as Wagstaff, Doherty, Elliot and Benson who will all be hoping they can keep the new arrivals out of the first XI by giving a decent account of themselves when they get a chance 

From the interviews by Powell and the blogs from Ben Roberts team spirit is high and bonding between the players has been better than expected which can only bode well for a season for which we all hope to be spectacular but will have its bumps along the way. 

Players are still likely to arrive through the gates of Sparrows Lane but the core seems to be established and is working well together. If we can get through the Cardiff game with another positive run-out and no injuries then this Spain trip could be the first important, and welcomed activity of a new era in Charlton Athletic.

Comments

• Options
    Are we still expecting new signings? How worried would people be if this was the squad to get us through to January?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    More to come , don't panic Captain Mannering.
  • Options
    I expect more but if this is it so be it, I mean winning the title by ten or 20 points who cares? 
  • Options
    So are we going to beat Cardiff? people would really start to sit up and take notice if we did.
  • Options

For Cardiff it's a pretty early pre-season fixture. Players from our camp and theirs won't want to go into this game throwing full-blooded changelles in etc, etc.

If we are 1st at Christmas then people will sit up and take notice.

• Options
    I think after the Spain trip Powell needs to think about fielding his starting 11 that he has in mind so they can get used to eachother. Then in the second half of the games gradually bring on different players to see the outcome. 
    But yeah if we do beat Cardiff, the rest of our league will take notice and I think they are realising now that we do mean business this year! 
  • Options
    Gotta expect a defeat against Cardiff, just hope we give us good account of ourselves. Their team is a fair bit better than Bristol Citys.
  • Options
    Not fussed about the result, as long as they go out put in a decent performance and get some match sharpness up it's a winner. Think teams will really take notice of us if we start bossing the league early on
  • Options
    I work with a Bromley player who played first half last Saturday against Gillingham. He says the thing about pre season frendlies is 'you don't want to get hammered'.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if we got a draw or a win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see a 2-2 draw on the cards
  • Options

When I looked at the teams I thought that if we went in level against Bristol we would win it. A lot will depend how the weaker team fares against Cardiff if Chrissy plays it the same way -and they do too of course.

• Options
    I might go to boo hudson
  • Options
    think we can win this, be hard but as long as we give a good account i don't see why not? this cardiff team isn't as good as last year.
  • Options
    There are two decent games next week where the starting 11 will come together, then the Den Bosch and Millwall games will be where you'll see it first really emerge 
  • Options
    2 - 2 draw.

Alonso makes his first start.
  • Options
    Can't see past a loss in this match cardiff are a good out fit and will be too tough a test
  • Options
    Prediction: 5-4 to us - all our goals scored in the 2nd half.

This is why I am not a betting man.
  • Options
    Good workout for our defence
  • Options

So are we going to beat Cardiff? people would really start to sit up and take notice if we did.

Who would though fella? It's just a pre-season friendly. Must admit I'm really excited about the season ahead and the players we are getting in. I'm dragging my arse down to the Den Bosch game, mainly to see what the new players all look like before the new season starts!

Just wondering how important pre-season games were perceived way back when, before the arrival of the internet and the increased media focus?

When we were playing at The Valley (the first time), Selhurst and Upton Park I couldn't tell you one friendly result we had or even played, yet that is when football meant everything to me. It was all about the start of the season and seeing in the papers who we had signed or were linked with. When you think about it, it's amazing how much it has changed in a relatively short space of time.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cardiff are a shadow of their former selves. The result is pretty unimportant in my eyes. Would rather Powell tinkered with formations now and lost, than against Bournemouth.

6-0 to us.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Say another League 1 side beat Bristol City and Cardiff in consecutive games after spending good money on buying a whole new team - wouldn't you take notice if you hadn't previously?
  • Options
    Say another League 1 side beat Bristol City and Cardiff in consecutive games after spending good money on buying a whole new team - wouldn't you take notice if you hadn't previously?

Nope. Pre season results mean jack.
  • Options
    When we occasionally lose to the likes of Welling and AFC Wimbledon it means nothing.

Beating Cardiff would also mean nothing.
  • Options
    you are right it means nothing but it makes the feel good vibe which is running through the club at the moment even stronger with each result. Look at the flip side of things if we were getting battered 6-0 how would you feel then? would you still say it means zip or would you start saying your a little worried about the manager players etc etc.
  • Options
    If I recall correctly, the year we were relegated from the Championship we won every pre-season game, with very few goals conceded in the process. 

Of course I may be making that up.
  • Options
    It is about the relevant standard of opposition too  - It is true that pre season results are not all important but I do think they are more important than people make out. Confidence plays such a big part of reults in football after all.   
  • Options
    If I recall correctly, the year we were relegated from the Championship we won every pre-season game, with very few goals conceded in the process. 

Of course I may be making that up.

I think you're right because I was going to say the same. Also, there has been other pre seasons when we've done poorly results wise & gone on to have a very good season.

Pre season results probably count for little, but winning has to better than losing.

• Options

if we were losing/getting stuffed in pre-season games at the moment then this board would go into meltdown

yes the winning isn't everything, but it does bread confidence, right now it's actually about the players getting to know each other and it seems that CP and his team are managing to do this pretty well (so far)

• Options
    I mist admit when I foun it was Bristol City and Cardiff we were playing it didn't feel that exciited about these teams. However on refletion as thjs is where are trying to aspire to be next season i am now really pleased with these fixtures. The pessimistic in me thinks we will lose this one 3 -1. However, if we can win this one then this for me (whilst not reading too much into these as they are "only" preseason fixtures will bode well for the season. I am very concerned that in the games we have seen the opposostion are reguarly getting chances and hitting posts and crossbars.. I do feel come the season we do have a midfield that I feel will "boss" the cenre come this season (something we have missed over quite a few years since the Scott Parker, Jensen days). There is a lot od creativity there in the midfield. Just hope our strikers can do the business. I was hoping for a Cody Mcdonald type striker then I would have said that is promotion is there. Obviously he is out of our price and wages range and looks like he will go to either Peterborough or Orient if rumours were to be believed.