Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs around The Valley

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
Hi,
I'm coming over from Norway for the Bournmouth match. One of my friends supports Southampton and he wants to see the Saints match on Sky at 5.20. Can we find a pub close to The Valley that has Sky? :-)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011

Most pubs have sky around the valley.

But the royal oak, from experience usually has the early game on. So i reckon they show the later ones too.Also they have three screens, two decent sized ones so you can get a good view. But you might wanna order a few drinks at a time as the bar seems to get quite crowded.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    The Bugle Horn in the village has Sky and ESPN. You always get served quickly, too.
  • Options
    and the Swan might show it and probably most decent pub in the area to drink in on match day since its makeover.
  • Options
    I'd deffo head up into the village after the match, choice of two pubs, both which are better than the Oak and both should show the match!
  • Options

Bugle or Swan definitely. The Oak's a nice pub but the wait for service is painful.

Bit off topic, but has anyone on here been in any of the 3 pubs not to far from the ground on Woolwich Road/Woolwich Church Street - The White Horse, Clancys and The Albion? Never have reason to go in that direction coming from Lewisham, but I've driven past a few times and always wondered if they're worth a visit.

• Options
    The Rose of Denmark on the woolwich Rd always has the televised matches and is very friendly to away fans and home fans pre match,only home fans are allowed post match but just show your home ticket at the back door.

As I say very friendly 
  • Options

The White Horse, Clancys and The Albion, yes, and all of them never again.

The White Horse; a dump

The Albion; low life

Clancys; I used to go in this one evry game untill the owner had an issue with one of my friends lads. Absolutly nothing problem but he gave me the hump.

• Options
    Not sure if the Liberal Club still has Sky, seems to come and go but best place to meet other lifers
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So best avoided, if you don't want to go through a humiliating CL initiation ceremony
  • Options
    Cheers for the info Keston, suspected that might be the case, I'll leave them alone then. Shame that places like that stay open whilst there's dozen of decent places shutting every week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Many thanks!:-) Cant wait! My last visit was Charlton - Notts County last season. Its pure magic for me seeing all the red shirts on a matchday. Seems like Bugle or Swan is the best option after the match:-) went to the Oak pre-match last time. I guess we will do the same this time around.
  • Options
    Swan didn't have Sky when I last went in a few games ago. Bugle has.
  • Options
    Im always in the Cons club i like it.. Most of the football on and the beer is not to bad.
  • Options

Does Bartrams stay open post match?

• Options
    Bartrams is open post-match and is generally comfortable for beers or a coffee, but the big screen 'tv' is shite, i mean a very poor picture, you have to squint hard to even see the score in the corner.

While i'm on the subject, those bars under the north stand are such an under-used resource. Catering and security staff are literally hanging out there passing time at half time- fair enough they may just be taking a well deserved break But we are stuck with north stand catering facilities that are as piss poor as the day they were put in. Even Bromley FC has quality facilities (throughout the match). An under-used resource like that on a matchday is strange, if not scandalous.
  • Options
    The bugle in the village is by far your best bet. Do not go to Bartrams as they don't have a clue what the punters want. no TV's and one unwatchable screen.
  • Options
    Many thanks!:-) Cant wait! My last visit was Charlton - Notts County last season. Its pure magic for me seeing all the red shirts on a matchday. Seems like Bugle or Swan is the best option after the match:-) went to the Oak pre-match last time. I guess we will do the same this time around.
    Oslo - what you really mean is that you can't wait to get shit-faced on beer that is a third or a quarter the price it is back home. If you make a real weekend of it you can cover the airfare! Hope you have a great weekend.