Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dell Inspiron Laptop Repair Advice

Was hoping for a bit of help. My daughters Dell Inspiron laptop won't charge. I have replaced the battery and charger and cross checked charger by using another compatible charger. Still nada ! Have googled problem and it seems it can happen that the socket on the laptop is the problem. This repair is obviously beyond me but I don't want to get stung getting it repaired which happened once before a few years back on another pc. Any suggestions as to a decent repair service where I won't get ripped off. I live as you would expect in from my username at Shooters Hill. Any advice would be very welcome. Also, how much do you think I should be looking to pay for a repair of this type. Thanks.

Comments

• there is a place in Dartford that completely re-done my laptop for 50quid, took few days but fixed water damage the fan and the charger socket in 2 days. 
    and fixed a key board.

it might be abit out the way for you but i found them good, i can whisper you the details if you like.
  • SHG. How old is the laptop? I had my Dell for 3 years and things started to go wrong. Was one thing after another.

Cut my losses,in the end and replaced it.
  • Hi Clem, it's coming up to four years and thus far trouble free. I think if repair is above £60 or so I might do the same and cut and run.
  • Hi Clem, it's coming up to four years and thus far trouble free. I think if repair is above £60 or so I might do the same and cut and run.

My brother-in-law was fixing mine at cost. Final straw was the charging socket.

Word of warning with these cheap shops, they wont use the best quality spares. Might prop the machine up for 6 months but ultimately its false economy.

So many good deals out there at the moment.
  • It sounds as if you need to replace the cabling kit. Try and find the part number on Google if possible and look at prices.
  • I have a Dell Inspiron, a fortnight ago mine stopped charging. I changed the fuse in the plug, and then it started working again. However, it broke again a day or two later but from that I worked out that it was obviously a poor connection in the mains chord from the charger (rather than the charger itself or, worse, the computer), so i just replaced the charger on ebay for about 8 quid with a cheapo version rather than buy the manufacturers stuff from Dell which would be steep.

Sounds like your problem may be different as you have ponced about with the charger a fair bit, but you haven't actually mentioned trying the power chord as I did. It may well just be that as that's the problem I had on the same computer...
  • edited July 2011
    I know a guy who is a qualified Dell engineer - inbox me if you want his details. He fixed my son's laptop under warranty and he really knows his stuff. He works for Dell, but also does private work.