Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will the support grow?

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
After the recent over haul of the club which sees many changes on an off the pitch, will we see a improvement in support both home and away?

Any lifers planning on making a bigger effort since the changes?

Love to hear your thoughts...

Comments

• Options
    only one thing will bring in the big crowds and thats results, simple as that.
  • Options
    Yep I defiantly want to do more away games this season just buzzing for the 6th august. Got season ticket but wanna try do few more away games and the support will follow all the time were getting results coyr !
  • Options
    My son and myself will be going to more away games.Theres less moaning away than at home gamers as well
  • Options
    I certainly hope so.  But ultimately it depends on three things only:
    1. Are we winning games?
    2. Are we playing attractive football?
    3. Does it look like the team are trying?

As for me, same as ever: All homes and a sprinkling of aways.

• Options
    Done quite a few homes and quite a few aways last season. I'm getting a season ticket this season for the first time in a few years
  • Options
    I will definitely be making a bigger effort, gave up my season ticket at the end of the 09/10 season, partly due to work and other events that kept me missing evening games and didn't get to as many games as I should have last season. But that was probably part of the problem. I shouldn't feel as should have to go to football, yes I love the club and all the good times I have experienced however going to most home matches I mainly left them annoyed by the performance on the pitch and/or seriously hacked off by the attitude around the Valley.

I've said before that the new owners and CP gave a boost to everyone and that has to be a starting point for generating a place players want to play and fans want to go. How long will it last before the atmosphere turns toxic again? Who knows but the rose tinted glasses are on and I'm looking forward to the coming season.
  • Options
    Good stuff lifers!!!

Away games I will be trying a lot more to get to. Away support is very important...
  • Options
    Last season, i made a pledge to go to 5 away games , think i went to 9 in the end , this year i'd like to go to 10 away grounds, will see where i end up.
  • Options
    What Stig said, spot on.
  • Options
    Well, only speaking for me personally, i can only see it happening if they make bigger pies..............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For us the difficulty is home games and we usually make one a season, but I'm feeling very positive about this season and have already booked the travel and matchday tickets for the Bournemouth game. We shall definitely make about 10 away games as they are opp north and if results are good I reckon the pension will stretch to a few more home games.
  • Options
    There's certainly a good feeling about Charlton at the moment - I expect there will be more people at the first couple of matches. If that feeling turns into results I would expect the numbers to go up, if not we'll be back to the "hardcore".
  • Options
    looking to do more away games - my son hasn't been to any away yet but this season i'm going to show him the ropes - reckon he'll love the atmosphere and get the bug if we're doing well
  • Options
    I live in the arse end of no where, so will probably only make a handful of games this season.
    But saying that, after 2/3 years of not being too bothered (last game was swindon at home in the play offs), ive definitely got the bug again and will be planning more trips to see my parents which fit around a match or 2. MK Dons and Stevenage away are probably the only games il get to see before xmas
  • Options
    Come on Shine you can't make a statement like that and not tell us.........where do you live?
  • Options
    Come on Shine you can't make a statement like that and not tell us.........where do you live?

I think he's South Devon based.

We've managed to disaffect much of our base with some truly awful insiped displays over the last few years, I'm surprised that the support has stayed as strong as it has. I think Stig has it spot on - if we play entertaining football, start winning and if the players look like they give a damn then the fans will slowly start to return.

• Options
    Yer I live in a little place called Totnes, about 10 miles from Torquay. Although my mum lives in Luton, which is pretty handy for those midweek fixtures when I visit.
    Before I moved down here for uni, me and my dad had season tickets for around 6-7 seasons. Its the only time we really saw each other, so my Charlton memories as a kid are all great.
  • Options
    If our away support goes up by 25% we will be rocking!!!
  • Options

Yes.

But there were about 6-700 at Notts County at the back end of last season when we were struggling, especially away, and it was an evening kick-off. (Good vocals though). So if there aren't at least 1200 to 1500 on the 13th it is going to be a long hard road to rebuild away support. If we top that the atmosphere will be rockin'.

I think it helps when the club put details of ticket sales for away games on the website under ticket news (except when they aren't shifting that is...)

• Options
    Orient is always a good away trip