Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Positions to strengthen

edited July 2011 in General Charlton

Are we all happy with the squad going into League 1 11/12?

I am, I want us to keep as far away from the (short term) loan market too.  No need for a new right back as we have three, unless they all underperform.

Comments

• Options
    Cb needs strengthening though our pre season is going well so far I don't think we have the depth there.
  • Options
    No i we need a right back, adam smith but hes probably going to burnley, a centre back, Magnus Okonghae, and an extra centre forward but the squad would do without one, Aaron Wilbraham
  • Options
    If we get Euell, we have a midfileder and centre forward so if a deal could be done it makes a lot of sense - then I think one more centre half and we can be reasonably happy. If soembody becomes available at the right price (in any position) and they improve what we already have - they need to be considered but I think we can do well with what we have.
  • Options

Think we need a right back to match up to left back where we have 2 quality options (Wiggins and Evina). I would like to see Solly and A.N.OTHER to push each other. Warren is very young.

Another CB, though Andersen is looking pretty strong, and has a pedigree to match or beat any of our summer signings. Tying him up could sort that.

Then one other Striker and job done.

• Options
    Need a right back and a target man upfront otherwise I think we are all good
  • Options

I am happy with how strong the squad looks already, but yes there are positions that I think we need to strengthen otherwise we'll get caught out during the season.

I think we need another right back to compete with Solly, I think we need another centre back because I don't think Mambo is ready to be 4th choice just yet. I think we need another striker who is either a target man or who is quick, Zak Ansah maybe the answer to that, and I think we should sign Andersen as he could be a very useful addition to the squad.

For me I think we need 4 more players, that way we don't have to rely on loans.

• Options
    No we still need 2 or 3 more.

We need competition for Solly. Francis will go eventually, Warren's 18/19 and mainly played CM, Cousins is only 17. Could do with a big strong quick CB as well. One signing might be enough, Morrison can also play at right back and 

We need another striker. Waggy gives us a pacey option so we could do with a proper target man. We aren't so good that we can simply out play every team on the floor. Benson isn't a hold up player or great in the air. I don't think Hayes gives that option either.
  • Options
    I think the club have said Francis will be staying for the forseeable future. We were probably willing to let him go when we thought we could bring Smith in but you can't just magic a right back out of nowhere and maybe the Bournemouth tfansfer falling through is a blessing in the end - I think we don't have big problems if Francis and Solley are battling for that particular slot.
  • Options
    is Diaz a rb? he could possibly be the answer. if powell thinks he is and him and anderson signs that could well be our defence finished.
  • Options
    Still look light weight up front, I would not want to go into the season relying on BWP to score all our goals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I am happy with how strong the squad looks already, but yes there are positions that I think we need to strengthen otherwise we'll get caught out during the season.

I think we need another right back to compete with Solly, I think we need another centre back because I don't think Mambo is ready to be 4th choice just yet. I think we need another striker who is either a target man or who is quick, Zak Ansah maybe the answer to that, and I think we should sign Andersen as he could be a very useful addition to the squad.

For me I think we need 4 more players, that way we don't have to rely on loans.

This one.
  • Options
    I suspect additions may be loans- they seem to happen nearer the start of the season. Then it's a questionn of what quality is available and at what price. I personally don't have an issue with a loan or two.
  • Options
    I think possibly in the past we have over relied on loans , and got caught out when clubs get a problem and want them back , also sometimes they expect to come and have a starting place in the team , and get the hump when they don't get one, sorry i'm thinking of negatives rather than positive loans we've had in the past.
  • Options

I think we are almost there . The CB could be Dailly or Andersson , a different sort of striker is a must .Maybe two .

I had previously wanted another Left midfielder to either allow Jacko to move CM or go more direct , but the fact that Bover is left footed I think possibly covers that . However , if Dave Martin were available then maybe , but the trail seems to have gone cold on that since we signed Wiggins.

GK Elliott , Sullivan

RB Solly , Francis

LB Wigins , Evina

CB Doc , Taylor

CB Morrison  Dailly ? Andersson ?

RM Wagstaff , Green

CM X 2 Hollands , Alonso ,Stephens ,Mcoxo

LM Jackson , ( Bover and Harriott are both left footed . Evina or Wiggins can play there as well )

Strikers BWP , Benson , Hayes

• Options
    We need big, quick centreback and a powerful forward. If Morrison doesn't play RB we need a decent one. Not site Hayes or Benno can cut it. We are vunerable at set pieces with current XI.
  • Options
    Has to be the defence, especially in the middle.

All the successful teams have good defences which we have sorely missed for 5 years. Hence our downfall. Sort that out and we might have a chance. 

We need clean sheets a lot more this coming season.
  • Options
    Rather have a quick goalscoring striker to be honest. If BWP's knees go this season Hayes and Benson might be a slightly toothless option. Would definitely like another centre back as well
  • Options
    We need big, quick centreback and a powerful forward. If Morrison doesn't play RB we need a decent one. Not site Hayes or Benno can cut it. We are vunerable at set pieces with current XI.
    agreed ... we need more height, speed and strength in defence. Problem is that quick and tall  defenders do not come cheap. Francis staying is a boon. CP needs to get Mambo up to speed a s a p or get in a TALL centre back.
  • Options
    I'd put a striker and CB as a priority too  - think the other positions look ok but If the right payer is available then we should go for him whatever the position but we look ok to me.
  • Options
    Right back's a must for me. solly's good but he'll be exposed alot this year, with green saying cp's let him come inside more leaves solly open alot more and he might struggle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2011

It appears that Hayes has failed to impress a few of you so far?

Also, it's a bit early to say that we have two quality left backs. Time will tell.

• Options
    reckon we might get a loanee rightback .possibly loan out francis and mccormack (if we cant sell em) and buy a strong frontman 
  • Options

Am very keen for us to sign a big CB and a target man striker. Magnus from Col U and Wilbraham would fit the bill.

A RB would be nice but with Solly looking good and Morrison also available there, it should not be a major priority.

• Options
    Not sure about Wilbraham - MKDons fans didn't seem all that keen on him last season.
  • Options
    Not sure about Wilbraham - MKDons fans didn't seem all that keen on him last season.
    Another 'striker' who doesn't score that often. I thought he'd gone to the Canaries on a 2 year deal
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    At least we do not have to see Sodje, Nouble and Lee Martin plying their trade this season.
  • Options
    That's because he was at Norwich last season. ;)
  • Options

I believe we need another 1 or 2 CB's (Doherty needs to be sold or released)

1 RB (Only if our friend Simon goes)

1 LM (Dave Martin Hopefully)

1 or 2 Strikers (Target Man & a small pacey one)

• Options
    The season before then - the year he scored against us- I thought he was decent - looked up MK Dons site on 606 and they were calling on him to be dropped.
  • Options
    Four for me too, as some above have said, 1 x CB, 1 x LW, 1 x ST and 1 x RB. I reckon the CB and ST will be season long loans and RB and LW perms. CP willing to let McCormack and Francis go, so just a matter of time for them.....