Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ways to get fit...Without the charges!

Lately I have really wanted to get into fitness mode, however after searching for gyms that don't charge ridiculous prices or lock you into a contract for a year, I'm slightly lost?

David Lloyd and all the big gyms are far to expensive and the small ones seem to lock me into a 12 month, have to pay contact.

Anyone know ways to get fit without the charge, or any gyms around the Dartford/Gravesend area that are realistic in prices?

I know Jogging etc but looking for answer "outside the box"

Comments

• Options
    When you say fit do you mean as in muscles? or as in can run for miles? Or both?
  • Options
    Bit of both :-)
  • Options

Press ups.

Eat the 'right' foods

Pick up a activity which increases cardio (Sex,Football etc)

• Options
    edited July 2011

For weight problems/ general fitness i was impressed by the BBC top 10 tips from Panroma in January. E.g. Do everything faster/ keep moving, like even on an escalator, start walking.
    Eat soup more often- fills the gut and you are less inclined to snack.
    I don't thnk you can see get the full programme via the bbc now but Youtube has it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFXwlNAbME
  • Options
    Lately I have really wanted to get into fitness mode, however after searching for gyms that don't charge ridiculous prices or lock you into a contract for a year, I'm slightly lost?

David Lloyd and all the big gyms are far to expensive and the small ones seem to lock me into a 12 month, have to pay contact.

Anyone know ways to get fit without the charge, or any gyms around the Dartford/Gravesend area that are realistic in prices?

I know Jogging etc but looking for answer "outside the box"

Take up Five-a-Side football, play once or twice a week, or at least regularly.
  • Options
    end of the day always remeber 80/20 diet/exercise - and that is being to generous on the effect of exercise, its all about diet, you want to lose weight cut out wheat and cereals for starters, and any 'wasted' calories, ie alcohol/sodas/sweets and all processed sugars, you need to make something sweeter use honey.

Also not sure if there are any in your area but have a look at true gyms (not sure on the spelling of true bit be tru??) they are no frills gyms ie no spa's/pools extra classes facilities but they are only £15/18pm depending if you do 12 month or just month by month.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Try Globe Rowing Club, down by the power station. They will have gym equipment as well and shouldn't't tap you for money until. You've tried a few times. Nothing like a paddle on a still winter morning. Just noticed you are out in sticks, there is a club at Gravesend.
  • Options
    Jog lengthy miles every other day and on the days in between do some weights but in different ways so you build up all muscles.
  • Options
    look up mandatory 100's, or M-100 workout. u can do it in less than 10 minutes. it incorporates cardio and all your major muscle groups. hardcore stuff! get yourself a bench and a barbell too, argos has a set for fifty quid.
  • Options
    Eat less. Exercise more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

i know it sounds middle aged but it really trendy right now, get an allotment, hoeing alone will give you great definition, you can put as much labouring in you choose generally with a big enough plot, plus its peace and quiet and great for a break from the buzz of modern life, also grow your own organic food.

generally building exercise into your daily routine, walk as much as possible, or cyle to work if able is all good, as is watching what you eat - really look into your diet and what you are eating and cut down on the stuff that will make you put on weight, don't keep any snack food in the house,

• Options

Cycle or Rowing and eat correctly and the pounds will fall off.

I started cycling again last summer, nothing major, twice a week about 20 miles each session and changed my eating habits very slightly and lost a stone in 2 months.

I bought a turbo trainer for the winter so I could cycle through the bad weather in my garage and it is still working.

• Options

I bought a turbo trainer for the winter so I could cycle through the bad weather in my garage and it is still working.

That's because you didn't use it :-)
  • Options
    Look around your local parks and open spaces for the Addidas fitness machines never tried them but the one by me is always busy with all ages.
  • Options

Eating correctly is all good and well, untill the season starts again and you are lured towards the burger van opposite the east stand turnstyles.

But this is an interesting post. I paid near enough £800 to join gymbox last year and it has put me off paying for a gym entirely. If you set out a plan before you hit the gym then naturally the equipment you want to use will be occupied when you get there. It's much better to just jog on the street and buy some dumbbells for home.

• Options
    Eat less. Exercise more.
    This, simple and effective, don't understand why people are so obsessed with special diets etc, most just require a bit of willpower to avoid having another chocolate bar mid afternoon.

If you have space indoors get yourself a fold up exercise machine, that way you save yourself hundreds on gym fees as well.
  • Options

That's because you didn't use it :-)
    The diet and the cycling is still working not the Turbo ;-)