Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Estate/Letting Agents on here? or anyone else who might know

I am moving out of my flat on the 19th August.

Thought it strange that no one had been to view the flat until Saturday morning. Sitting there in my boxers a key enters the door. I jump up and shout "who the fuck are you"
Turns out it was the estate agent coming to show people around. I was fuming. She said that I had agreed to this appointment to which I replied "did I fuck" (still in my boxers). SO they all left.
I have sat here yesterday and today waiting for an apologetic phone call.
Instead I have had an answer phone message asking if the new tenant can come round Saturday to show his girlfriend around. When did this fella come look at my flat?
I thought they had to give 24hours notice by law and get my approval. I will be making an official complaint tomorrow to them but was just wandering.
what the fuck?

I hope they come round in the morning tomorrow as I am working nights and will be naked spread eagle on the bed ready to chase them down the road

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Ah, estate agents. Shall, we do it all again?

Yeah, why not. They are (in the main - there will be exceptions) parasitical scumbags who think nothing of bending the rules, spouting bollocks and playing one side off against the other just to get their grubby hands on some cash. No morals, no loyalty, no thought for their clients, no sense of right or wrong. Scum.

• Options
    Right, I am sensing a general dislike from yourself towards estate agents.

So apart from hatred, anyone got Anthony else to add? I know for a fact that it is a breach of contract. But what does that really mean?
  • Options
    You can do nothing that at the end of the day will actually mean anything. 

You can complain. You can report them. You can tell the landlord that you think his agent is unprofessional and hasn't done a very good job in looking after his tenants and renting his flat. You could threaten him, if that makes you feel any better. You could threaten to take him/the landlord to court, or you could actually take them to court - but practically speaking that would be pretty pointless and expensive.

Honest and serious answer is that you are better off just giving the agent a shit load of verbal abuse and leave him in no doubt what you think of him/her. It wont make a blind bit of difference but it might make you feel better having got it off your chest and that's probably better than nothing.

Good luck.
  • Options

Had a simlar thing with an agent, had let themselves in assuming I'd be at work. came back from the shops and heard noises in the flat, opened the door and was about to chin the first movement I saw when I recognised him as the letting agent. He visibly shat himself because I was literally winding up.

Unfortunately it's standard behaviour from agents, they will get away with what you let them. Legally you don't have to let them in whilst your AST is still in term but in reality you need to have a bit of give or take otherwise you get bad references.

Speak to the letting agent and explain that if they repeat this you will deny access altogether. demand minimum 24 hours notice and only let them do viewings if it suits you, whilst you are paying rent it is your flat and you have rights to peaceful en]oyment.

• Options
    Not got much to add, can only agree with the hatred. When I was letting a place once I phoned an estate agent to arrange a meeting to discuss things and within an hour of the phone call my place was on rightmove.co.uk with them as the agents even though nothing had been agreed. Told em to piss off
  • Options
    One question Walshie.How did they get the key?
  • Options
    they are thieving horrible two faced etc etc, make tabloid journos seem angelic in my experience, it makes my stomach turn when I have to use them I'd rather have my flat empty for a month than give them the money instead
  • Options
    The agents always hold a spare key
  • Options
    They are trespassing pure and simple - report to the police (or threaten to).
  • Options
    Most tenancy agreements have a clause which allows viewings in the final month. The amount of advance notice is usually stipulated too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a lot easier to just be pleasant and offer a cup of tea having first having replaced the sugar with laxitives.
  • Options
    If you're home, leave the door bolted!
  • Options
    It stipulates in the contract that I have to agree to have people view the flat at a convenient time to both parties. Also states in the contract that we are to have a minimum of 24 hours notice before any person from the agency can come round. So unannounced visits are a no no. Especially unannounced viewings
  • Options

They probably are allowed to come around if they make an appointment, but it's really not in their interest to visit unannounced, since the place will not be looking its best if you've not tidied up. With this in mind I doubt if this is anything more than ineptitude on their part.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the matter, it's probably best to stay on decent terms with your landlord over this, so that you can get references etc. in the future. I'd just be co-operative in going forward, but politely ask for notice next time they show people round.

• Options
    edited July 2011

They probably are allowed to come around if they make an appointment, but it's really not in their interest to visit unannounced, since the place will not be looking its best if you've not tidied up. With this in mind I doubt if this is anything more than ineptitude on their part.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the matter, it's probably best to stay on decent terms with your landlord over this, so that you can get references etc. in the future. I'd just be co-operative in going forward, but politely ask for notice next time they show people round.

Damn I wish I was this optimistic and even-headed. I'd have battered the c*** half to death with a chair, still in my pants, and screamed like a banshee at the prospective tenants to get the f*** out of the property before they received the same treatment. But that's just me, like.
  • Options
    let the agent know you regularly walk about naked? that should put them off..
  • Options
    cross dressing and  having whips, chains, dog collars and leads around the place will make them think twice
  • Options

Will assume the agent has no clue where you're moving to.

As said above stay on decent terms until you're gone. Then start ringing the agent asking what their favourite crisp is, how many metres in a mile, what time the local swimming pool closes, why they haven't been round to empty your bins etc. Visit their office in disguise with a bag of prawns and whilst looking at the houses for sale, stick the prawns to the back of a radiator. To be honest, anything childish that will piss them off & make you feel better.

• Options
    cross dressing and  having whips, chains, dog collars and leads around the place will make them think twice
    It obviously hasn't made a difference up til now.
  • Options
    Splash tomato ketchup or red paint on the walls and leave a chainsaw around with red paint/ketchup on it. That should do the job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morning.

Going to ring them when I wake up. They have already supplied my references for my new place so no worries there. (see previous estate agent slagging thread)
    I am going for them to get the carpet cleaned instead of me. Actually states in the contract that I have to do that before I leave. I managed to get them to pay for it before so think I could manage it again.