Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dog Training Advice

Comments

• Options
    What I would suggest is something we do, wear an old teeshirt for the day and before leaving him for the night put the shirt in his bed your scent will reassure him and he will snuggle up to it, he is howling for your attention give in, and he has won! the first time you respond to the howling the game is over. Crate training is the way forward, you are making changes (new carpet) your dog dont know its new, but he knows that where he sleeps is below it. Give him a sanctuary, somewhere to call his own once he's realises its his he'll love it.
    yes think I will get one, do you know of any for sale?
    I dont know of anyone selling one but there are loads on ebay, if your dog is still growing goes as large as you can it'll save replacing with larger at a later date, they come with a divider use it until your dog needs the room, if the crate is to big it will use one end as its toilet. Good luck.  ithttp://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5698&rt=nc&_nkw=folding+dog+crates&_dmpt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1
  • Options
    Latest incident not happy;

Spent ages and small fortune doing up my lounge/diner brand new carpet fitted yesterday, this morning 'chewy Louie' decided it would be fun to destroy the carpet and ate a chunk out of the middle, not even the corner but actually chewed down into the middle. 

Really do not know what to do now absolutely livid. 

Some people are saying get rid, some are saying lock him in the hall (where I am also doing up and he likes chewing door frame, also planning on carpeting stairs soon no doubt he'll chew that too!) Others say get a crate and lock him in there, they are really expensive though.

aaaarrrrgghhh!! :-(( 
    Sadie:

I'm not Happy.
    Why not use a CL tradesman ?
  • Options
    Latest incident not happy;

Spent ages and small fortune doing up my lounge/diner brand new carpet fitted yesterday, this morning 'chewy Louie' decided it would be fun to destroy the carpet and ate a chunk out of the middle, not even the corner but actually chewed down into the middle. 

Really do not know what to do now absolutely livid. 

Some people are saying get rid, some are saying lock him in the hall (where I am also doing up and he likes chewing door frame, also planning on carpeting stairs soon no doubt he'll chew that too!) Others say get a crate and lock him in there, they are really expensive though.

aaaarrrrgghhh!! :-(( 
    Sadie:

I'm not Happy.
    Why not use a CL tradesman ?
    you a carpet fitter mog?
  • Options
    Only for the last 33 years Sadie.
    Why'd You ask ?

;-)
  • Options
    @Miserableoldgit, can a piece of carpet with a hole in it be "repaired" so to speak?
  • Options
    @Miserableoldgit, can a piece of carpet with a hole in it be "repaired" so to speak?
    this!

also I still have stairs landing and bedroom to carpet, lino in hallway etc
  • Options
    If it has a pattern it is possible to take up the carpet and sew a new piece inplace of the damaged area.
    With a plain carpet it is almost impossible to "hide" the joins.
  • Options
    it has a pattern and I have spare carpet ;-)
  • Options
    Alittle busy this week, but, can possibly pop in to have a look at some stage: What area do You live SadieJane ?

(No, thats not a "chat-up" line !!)

;-)
  • Options
    Sittingbourne, probably out of your catchment lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he does it when we're out when we are in he seems fine.

He is punishing you for leaving him alone, get a cage and put pads and toys in there. Maybe leave a radio on. Basically if you can, get him properly trained. We failed to do that, and now can't let her off her lead outside because she can't be trusted. There are people who will take him away and train him, once it's done you can enjoy the brilliant friendship of your best friend.
  • Options
    Grandpa, your comment.
    'The dog is punishing you for leaving it?
    Just my opinion ; )

A dog is a social animal, it runs in packs it looks to you for leadership and guidence. It wants you to be pack leader if you dont take it up he will lead you. It has to taught our ways, leave it to it own devices it will run you ragged. I got told before I bought Bailey 'There is no such thing as a bad dog only a bad handler' and if you cant put the time in get a cat!
    Your assumption that SJs dog is punishing her for leaving him alone is probably wide of the mark, they simply are not clever enough to hold a grudge. I've corrected my dog many a time, we both work so he is left, he sleeps downstairs in his crate but the door is unlocked, but never once has he trashed our house. some very minor damage when he was 10/12 weeks old (chewed a frame)
    Boredom or as SJ says new carpet where the dog slept, is the more likely reason is the sleeping area has been covered. Whenever Baileys bedding is replaced we always leave the old stuff in there to get his smell on it before removing it. The new carpet has been touched by many people and has so many new smells on it and as well as that someone's laid it on top of his bed.

Recall training, try putting her on a lunge line 10/20 metres (not one of those awful extending leads) unless your dog is no bigger than a Yorkie! Whatever is your dogs favourite toy, remove it from circulation it becomes a training aid and not a toy. When calling you dog use a ridiculously hi pitched excitable voice to call her when she gets there play tug and after a few seconds let her win a play with the toy, but get it back and put it away. Repeat two or three times every session. You have to make yourself more attractive than whatever your dog has seen. Give it a try, as you said theres not much better buzz than enjoying your dog! Well just one, doing the training yourself ; )

• Options
    Crate Arrived today just now to get Chewy Louie into it :-)
  • Options
    Crate Arrived today just now to get Chewy Louie into it :-)
    Coax him in SJ, try putting his grub in there at feeding time leaving the door open. Leave treats in there for him to walk in help himself too. Put his toys in there and quite importantly cover it with an old blanket/curtain or something like it. Now you maybe very lucky and he may settle to it straight away, but introduce him to it between now and the weekend and as he settles start to lock the gate leave it a while and open it again............Never open it because he's whining to be let out!
    Trust me he will suss you out straight away, and realise thats what he has to do to be let out. Eventually he will realise that it his little bolt hole, his little sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle of the house and disappear at his leisure. Good luck. ; )

• Options
    his is obviously some kind of desertion anxiety ..i had a smallish dog once who chewed her way through a sofa and ate a load of presents under a xmas tree (all in one day!!) she grew out of it and was the best dog i ll ever own

i think the cage ,especially for a small dog is a great idea ,familiar smells and noises such as a clock/imitation heartbeat and radio left on can be helpful ,also company in the form of another dog, for practicalities sake an enclosed space sounds good but stick with him ...what a beautiful dog  
  • Options
    SJ, I found this as well.
    http://www.doglistener.co.uk/fearful_dogs/separation_anxiety.shtml

Hope this and some of what I said will help.
  • Options
    Here's our Bailey posing after finishing his training.
  • Options
    he's lovely TCE and looks happy :-)

he still isn't in yet think I'll have more luck when the kids stop interfering 
  • Options
    he's lovely TCE and looks happy :-)

he still isn't in yet think I'll have more luck when the kids stop interfering 
     Bailey is always happy when there's a camera about........

By all means lead him to it, put his favourite treat in there, maybe a chicken wing or something. Just dont shut the door he will be suspicous at first, once he realises there's something in there he'll be
    tempted, it a case of what is stronger his fear or his hunger. Judging by his reluctance to go near it, I wouldnt try to put him in there tonight, he will scream the house down you will go and let him out because of the neighbours and all will be lost. One potential way
    around that is to put his crate in
    your room, not something I would enjoy but he will be calmer because you are there, but then you have the challenge of moving his crate back downstairs. Dont give in to him ; )
  • Options

T.C.E.

Thanks for your comments, we are certainly aware that we have failed to train our Tibetan Terrier as we should have done. Unfortunately I made the decision to buy what I now call my Tibetan Terrorist having rescued and taken in one of my Grandaughters who had got herself into a bad place, making my wife ill. I made the decision to buy Tootsie who is now a much loved member of the family hoping that it would help us to settle down, which I'm pleased to say we have done.

I would be interested to know what a lunge line is, and what the advantage would be. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

T.C.E.

Thanks for your comments, we are certainly aware that we have failed to train our Tibetan Terrier as we should have done. Unfortunately I made the decision to buy what I now call my Tibetan Terrorist having rescued and taken in one of my Grandaughters who had got herself into a bad place, making my wife ill. I made the decision to buy Tootsie who is now a much loved member of the family hoping that it would help us to settle down, which I'm pleased to say we have done.

I would be interested to know what a lunge line is, and what the advantage would be. 

Grandpa,
    Think training horses!
    The lunge line is the long line used when someone is teaching a horse to canter.
    The cheaper canvass type are available on ebay for about a tenner or the leather anywhere between 30 & 75 quid.
    The advantages are your dog cannot run off!
    If he does you have the line to get hold of......
    best to start with your dog in a "sit & wait" not a "Sit & Stay" never call your dog from a "Stay"
    Stay is a dont you dare move command, wait is watch & listen something else is expected.
    So its sit & wait, then step back a couple of paces, then call your dog, screaming like a banshee, your enthusiasm will pass to your dog he will come to you because of the excitement in your voice, as Mrs Redmidland said to me, yes you look an idiot, but you look a bigger idiot if your dog dissappears over the horizon. Gradually over a period of time increase the distance, never let you dog walk away from your Sit & wait command always return him to the spot you asked him to sit or he will simply think its ok to move as you walk away.
    Are you local to me Grandpa? showing is easier than typing. : )
  • Options
    Cheers TCE, I live in Leybourne, West Malling, how does that fit ?
  • Options
    Cheers TCE, I live in Leybourne, West Malling, how does that fit ? I have just remembered that when I try to enter text from home, I can't because I am treated like a newcomer, so my number is 07050 054304.
  • Options
    Cheers TCE, I live in Leybourne, West Malling, how does that fit ? I have just remembered that when I try to enter text from home, I can't because I am treated like a newcomer, so my number is 07050 054304.
    Give what I suggest a try and if
    you want to and if your still having
    Problems, I pack Bailey in the car
    and come and see if we can help.
  • Options
    can you pack bailey in the car and come and help me? lol
  • Options
    can you pack bailey in the car and come and help me? lol
    Whats up mate?
  • Options
    just not getting him in the crate, thinking it was a waste of money :-(
  • Options
    just not getting him in the crate, thinking it was a waste of money :-(
    Firstly are you local to me? (Shootershill)

If he hasn't been fed yet, at grub time put his grub in his crate (at the back). Leave the door open and walk away let him get on with it. If he's food driven he will at least go in there to eat.
    Remember this is all new to him, he's got to learn its a safe place.
    Is his bedding in there?
    Favourite toys?
    One of your worn teeshirts, an old one you wont want it back.
    Even you or one of your children, get in there and hide from him encourage him in, remember its all got to fun to do. Let me know where you are and I'll see what I can do.
    Dont give up ; )

• Options
    I am not local to you sadly, I'm in Sittingbourne :-(

I have put his food bowl in there and he will go in the to eat but very hesitantly and is very quick to get away straight afterwards I used ham too throwing it in as he loves ham again he'll get the food and run. He has toys but isn't interested in them even out of the crate. There is no chance I could fit in there. 
  • Options
    I am not local to you sadly, I'm in Sittingbourne :-(

I have put his food bowl in there and he will go in the to eat but very hesitantly and is very quick to get away straight afterwards I used ham too throwing it in as he loves ham again he'll get the food and run. He has toys but isn't interested in them even out of the crate. There is no chance I could fit in there. 
    It sounds like your on the right lines, its just not happening quick enough for us!
    Where is the crate is close to where would normally sleep? make sure its covered so its darker in there. If he is feeding in there, then its progress. Take the positive it could be a slow process.
    If its any consulation, my big scary German Shepherd hates puddles or water come to that, when he first come home he wouldnt even go out in the rain, but now he'll willing walk in the rain he'll still jump over a puddle, but its progress. Now believe or not your making progress we have to persevere and be patient. raybates@sky.com.. email me
    I'll send you a picture of Baileys bed ; )