Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's your favourite pre-season friendly ?

edited July 2011 in General Charlton

Remember a great trip to Wimbourne via Bournemouth in about 1992. For some reason, there seemed to be hundreds of Charlton fans there, a non-league ground of say Thamesmead Town proportions, leading to someone getting a ball and about 50 people having a kickabout in the goalmouth at half time. No idea of the score, but remember Alan Dickens trialling for us.

Also remember a year or two later playing Arsenal at the Valley. They had either just won the top division, or went on to that season. We beat them 2-0 i think, and absolutely dominated them all game. A nice reminder that pre-season friendlies count for very little.

Anyone remember either of those, or have any other particular favourites ?

Comments

• Options
    Dorchester Away , have got family that way , nice ground very relaxed atmosphere.
  • Options
    i shouldn't say this but mine was chelsea vs palace @ palace. ( i was in chelsea end)
    just nice to see a full selhurst park get silenced by an essien goal.
  • Options
    Den Bosch in '68. 

Or whichever programme I'm trying to flog at the time : - )
  • Options
    beatin millwall away 4-2 on a scorching summer day in 2006 was nice.

Vicenza at home in 2000.

We’d just won the first division
    title. We’d stormed the division, everybody was optimistic going back to the
    premier league, we’d made some good signings like Jensen and Johansson. The
    game was really exciting for a friendly, we won 3-2, and both sides scored a
    couple of superb goals, think Stuart got a cracker for us. It was also a bit
    bad tempered which made it exciting, think our current manager and one of their
    players were both “ordered off”.

• Options
    v New Zealand for no other reason than that was my lads 1st CAFC game and now he's hooked.
  • Options
    Liverpool at the Valley in 1985...............first time I had seen a top team (apart from Ipswich in the FA Cup) and signalled our 20 year rise in fortune. 
  • Options
    1974, Margate ... you could watch the game from the bar behind the goal ... unfortunately we drank it dry by halftime. Most Charlton didn't get home until early hours of Sunday ... good day out :-)
  • Options

Also remember a year or two later playing Arsenal at the Valley. They had either just won the top division, or went on to that season. We beat them 2-0 i think, and absolutely dominated them all game. A nice reminder that pre-season friendlies count for very little.

That's the one for me.

It finished 2-1. Leaburn and Newton scored for us. Ian Wright got theirs.
  • Options
    Bray Wanderers away twice. Look up the match thread on here if you are wondering why.

FC Tevarit in Oulu Finland. Football inside the arctic circle. Drinking pre and post match on a biblical scale.
  • Options

Dagenham away in about '88/'89.

Was working at the ground on the day hence got paid to watch us plus ended up providing the pitchside annoucer with the names of all our scorers (and we got a few that day too). Had a bit of fun with him in the end making up names...well if he was too lazy to read the teamsheet and couldn't recognize Garth Crooks he deserved it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Orient away in 2003, Bartlett got a hat trick I think and one goal was top class. Left foot curler from outside the box. 5-0 to us!
  • Options
    A 6 hour trip to plymouth in 2003, score was 2-2, came back from 2-0 down. good day
  • Options
    I remember that Arsenal one. I am sure it was 1993 so was 15. Took some school friends with me. I was pleased as punch when we won. I am sure the score was 2-1. Leaburn got one for us, a typical header and Ian Wright got their goal. No idea who got our other goal.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The first game after Gritty and Curbs were appointed was, I believe, East Fife away. In a place called Methil (which was a very bleak and dreary place indeed). We threw away a 2-0 lead (Robert Lee) and lost 3-2. However my outstanding memory was paying the proverbial little old lady to get in, who was sitting at a table outside the 'away' end, using an old biscuit tin as her cash register.
  • Options
    Both Bray trips were good as was the Wimboune one :)
  • Options
    Roda