Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Multi-ball system banned in the Football League

Comments

• Options
    get evils from luke young,

oh wait, that was just me.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    not have to worry about retreiving an extra ball from the pitch that our clueless fans throw on from the stands.
  • Options
    I'm pleased about this. I'm not against it per-say, but we always seemed to be embarrassingly bad at it, plus I can stop getting annoyed when we give the ball back to the opposition too quickly, at times when we've made a clearnace and need to get our shape back.
  • Options
    Agreed, Exiled.
  • Options
    This is another stupid thing like the 5 subs
  • Options
    Leicester City's King Power Stadium

when did they drop the Walkers????
  • Options
    I'm pleased they are both gone.
  • Options
    Leicester City's King Power Stadium

when did they drop the Walkers????
    About 2 weeks ago it cos of the people that own the club
  • Options
    The Tranmere manager will be pleased. A key tactic in last seasons time wasting plan at the Valley, was to get the multi-ball system stopped as quickly as possible, highlighted by one of his coaches kicking a ball onto the pitch while the game was going on.
  • Options
    The shortcomings of multi ball were clear to see but behind all of this, there is an issue as to how much football the paying public actaully get to see. I'd like to see a bit more science behind additional time - I rememeber one game at the Valley last season when there was a 3 minute stoppage during the second half and the ref played 3 minutes added time. I think this aspect of the game should be assessed by an official who does not need to worry about anything else.

The main reason teams time waste is that refs/the system allows them to benefit from it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't agree more MuttleyCAFC. But the only way to do it properly would be to stop the clock every time the ball went out of play - this would make the match go on too long if football stuck with 45 minute halves. The half length could be reduced to 30 minutes but I'm sure tradionalists would blow a fuse. And anyway, it's pretty exciting when a team scores after the allotted overtime; some of the magic may be lost if you knew exactly how much time was left.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more MuttleyCAFC. But the only way to do it properly would be to stop the clock every time the ball went out of play - this would make the match go on too long if football stuck with 45 minute halves. The half length could be reduced to 30 minutes but I'm sure tradionalists would blow a fuse. And anyway, it's pretty exciting when a team scores after the allotted overtime; some of the magic may be lost if you knew exactly how much time was left.
    This proposal seem to be moving towards the US sports model where they drag the game out for hours by timing the action and stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play - me missus will kill me if I arrive home at eight pm after a 3pm kick off ;-)
  • Options

It ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you want to get every second you paid for, go watch NFL but as someone who has attended CFL (Canada's NFL) I can tell you it does anything but make it more exciting. Not adding every second of stoppages does give timewasters an opportunity, but it also gives the other team a hurry up. In NFL you just get long periods where the teams bascically stand around chatting and Sky would introduce so many ad breaks it would be unreal.

Refs just need to be a bit quicker to spot and discipline time wasting.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I think it is broke to a certain extent, but I'm not advocating stopping the clock every second the ball goes out -maybe five minutes added to games on average. The problem with what we have now is that I have a 95% hit rate in predicting what time the ref will add- I am always conservative in the extreme and don't stop my watch so you just know how they interpret it -on average I think it is about 50% too little. Its a difficult job to ref so I'm sure the added time is more about a gut feeling than real time keeping -just saying the game would benefit from something better but not adding half an hour or even 20 minutes but yes 10 minutes (which is unheard of) if a lot of play is lost during the game.
  • Options
    Good, because our ball boys give them back too quick to the opposition when we're winning.  Unlike other clubs who tell their ball boys to take their time when winning!
  • Options
    I think ours were a bit afraid to run on the pitch too - possibly a bit under trained.