Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The White Horse

The White horse landmark in Ebbsfleet could now cost £12m according to developers.
I'm not opposed to the idea of it and actually think if done right, it will be great. As i live in Gravesend, i'll pass it on a daily basis so really hope they do it justice.

It was "designed" by Turner prize winning artist Mark Wallinger. So this guy designed the horse? Is he god? There's no design involved, It's a statue of a horse for christ sake. Take his fee out of the equasion and that should knock about £3m off the price for starters.

They say it's set to rival the Angel of the north.  I spent 6 years living in the north-east and i lost count how many people i asked if they liked it or not. I'd say about 70% didn't like it. Personally i think it's a fantastic landmark and never got tired of seeing it.

Just wonder what others think about it?

Comments

• Options
    I heard that the geordies affectionate name for the angel of the north was Ginger Kev 
  • Options
    Well, that sums them up.
  • Options
    This is planned for Worcestershire

A GIANT black pear tree taller than the Angel of the North could welcome people to Worcestershire as they drive along the M5.

The iron and steel landmark – the idea of a group of mystery
    businessmen who see it as a way of putting the county on the map – would
    be 21 metres tall, one metre higher than the Angel of the
    North, near Gateshead.

The plan, which it is thought will cost about £1.5 million, was presented at yesterday’s meeting of Worcestershire County Council’s
    cabinet.

• Options
    edited July 2011

Get what you are saying about the "design" of the horse Tangoflash, but I guess that the artist has to work out load ratios, durability and probably other pertinent stuff that we would have no idea about, perhaps that's where he "earns" his money? Still seems like plenty of folk have their hand in the till for it to work out at £12m when Worcester's tree is nearly a 10th of that amount.    

I love the Angel of the North too.

• Options
    Wow. Think of the size of the pears on that tree? I love a nice big pear.
  • Options
    Anyone driving from Calais towards Boulogne will see a number of much smaller interesting sculptures on the bridges.  I bet they cost far less than 12 million squid as well (even taking into account the crap exchange rate.)
  • Options
    You're right - they certainly shouldn't pay the asshat that designed the horse in question - it doesn't even resemble the famous prancing horse that is famed as the Kentish symbol.  They might as well have put up a bloody Shetland pony!

Love the massive pear btw.....LOL
  • Options
    Just hope they dont let livestock in the field around mid-summer!
  • Options
    Anyone driving from Calais towards Boulogne will see a number of much smaller interesting sculptures on the bridges.  I bet they cost far less than 12 million squid as well (even taking into account the crap exchange rate.)
    these? great till they end up like the Charlton badge

• Options
    I haven't seen that one but I have seen tennis players, golfers etc.  Quite good to have something quirky provided it doesn't cost a fortune to build or maintain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You could spend 12 million quid in thousands of sensible ways to tart up Gravesend before erecting a huge early learning centre toy horse stuck in a field.

How come we are having to sack ambulance drivers, scrap aircraft carriers and tell nurses to contribute more for their pensions but have plenty of Euro dosh sloshing about for this self-indulgent nonsense?

Utter and complete bollocks..

Sack them all and parade the artist through the streets of Northfleet on a bed of uncollected bin-bags.

Come the revolution.. etc etc