Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memorable Lines of commentary,

Comments

• Options
    Is Gascoigne going to have a crack? He is you know…. OH I SAY! BRILLIANT!
    that… is.. schoolboys own stuff. Ooh I
    bet even he can’t believe it!
    Is there anything left from this man to surprise us? That was one of the finest free kicks that this stadium has even seen.

FA Cup Semi-Final, Tottenham Hotspur v Ars*nal, Wembley, 14/04/1991.

Barry Davies at his absolute finest.  Still get shivers down my spine every time I see reruns of Gazza running up to hit the ball and hear that commentary.
  • Options
    Alan Parry, as Jason Euell put us 4-1 up at Arsenal:

'Its four for Charlton! Arsenal in tatters!'

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever believe a commentator could be referring to Charlton with a line like that.

Non football related was the memorable commentary by Michael O'Hehir at the 1967 Grand National:

'Rondetto has fallen, Princeful has fallen, Norther has fallen, Kirtle
    Lad has fallen, The Fossa has fallen, there's a right pile-up... Leedsy
    has climbed over the fence and left his jockey there. And now, with all
    this mayhem, Foinavon has gone off on his own!'

Great stuff.
  • Options

Great boat race gaffe............

"and there's the Duchess of Westminster kissing the cox of the Cambridge crew"
  • Options
    I think it was john helm who on seeing some smoke said something along the lines of "one hopes the stand doesn't burn down". bradford 1985ish.
  • Options

Some of the best Murray moments.

"And Damon Hill crosses the line to become World Champion. And I have to stop, because I have got a lump in my throat"

"And I can see him through my headphones"

"And Senna has moved up from 6th to 4th to 5th to 2nd to 3rd and now to 1st"

"And nothing can stop Mansell now....wait whats happening.....Mansells stopping!"

"And now I am going to start my stopwatch"

"The car is absolutely unique, except for the one following which is identical""He's obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because I can't see it"

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go"

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?"

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does"

"Alboreto has dropped back up to fifth place"

"As you look at the first four, the significant thing is that Alboreto is 5th"

"I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem"

"He is shedding buckets of adrenalin in that car"

"It's raining and the track is wet"

Murrary: "What's that? There's a BODY on the track!!!" James: "Um, I think that that is a piece of BODY-WORK, from someone's car."

Murray: There's a fiery glow coming from the back of the Ferrari James: No Murray, that's his rear safety light

"Tambay's hopes , which were nil before, are absolutely zero now."

"This is an interesting circuit because it has inclines, and not just up, but down as well."

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

"This has been a great season for Nelson Piquet, as he is now known, and always has been"

Murray: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool."
    James: "Well, that should put them out then."

• Options

some of my favourites are :

Barry Davies commentating on a Franny Lee goal for Man City

"look at his face..... just look at his face"

and, as stated earlier

"Toshack.........Keegan...........1-0 "

• Options
    Barry Davies on the olympic hockey final - "Where were the Germans? And frankly, who cares!"
  • Options

".........Can Manchester United score ?
    They always score.
    Beckham......
    In towards Schmeichel.....
    It's come for Dwight Yorke.....
    Cleared.....
    Giggs with the shot......SHERRINGHAM !!!!

NAME ON THE TROPHY !!

As things stand we will go into extra time with a golden goal
    hanging like a massive shadow over this final unless Ole Solskjaer
    can find another.......
    (United win corner, Beckham to take)

"Is this their moment ?

Beckham.....into Sherringham......

AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT !!!!!!!!!!

Manchester United have reached the promised land, Ole Solskjaer, and the two
    substitutes have scored the two goals in stoppage time and the Treble looms
    large.....

(Final whistle blows)

History is made, Manchester United are the Champions of Europe again and
    nobody will ever win a European Cup final more dramatically than this.
    Champions of Europe, Champions of England, the FA Cup holders, everything
    their hearts desire. United fans will ask where did you watch the 1999 European
    Final? Where did you see Ole Solskjaer win it with virtually the last kick of the
    final?

AMAZING FINAL

• Options
    "You can't do any better than going away from and getting a draw".....Keegan
  • Options
    Away from football, I still smile at the founding comment of Colemanballs back in the mid 70's
    ''The big Cuban opened his legs and showed his class''
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Again the Leeds-Charlton play off game.

Came back from Cyprus that evening, just got in and my dad says we're 2-1 up with seconds to go.

Stayed uip till about half past midnight for the highlights on ITV.

Sheridan scores for Leeds and John Helm says 'is that the goal that takes Leeds back to the First Division?'

'No its not you ******* northern ****' I joyfully shout at the TV.

• Options

"Oooooooohhhhh PAT BONNER!"

Barry Davies is the Don. It was always treat to find out it was his turn to comentate on a World Cup game and not Motson's

Walker was a legend too

One of my favourite lines, however, was from Richie Beneau. I forget which match it was but the ball was smashed into the crowd for six and a guy stood up to catch it but the ball broke through his hands and hit him smack in the middle of his forehead . Quick a as a flash Beneau came out with "Oh dear. Well... in his hayday he'd have pouched it."

Surprised no-one has mentioned Brian Moore:

"and here's Walsh.... and it becomes the perfect start!"

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Northern commentator doing a Rugby League commentary on BBC Grandstand many years back.
    "My god that were shockin....cover the kids eyes up."
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Sid Waddell - "ahhhhhhhh Bristow"
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Denmark v Uruguay (Mexico 1986) on a night where a lot of people in Denmark thought Uruguay would demolish us (we won 6-1).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld3It4pUe3w

at 2:38 (3-1).
    Lerby…across to Laudrup, obviously
    It’s Laudrup…
    And he shoots!
    NOOO! He waits!!!
    Yeaaahhh!!! Michael Laudrup!!!

at 6:19 (6-1):
    It’s Elkjaer again.
    He continues.
    This time Jesper needs the ball.
    There he is.
    Yes, Jesper Olsen!
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

30 years ago and I still remember it like yesterday. Best World Cup ever.
  • Options
    EGAddick said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned Murray Walker yet, the king of spoonerisms and the commentators curse!

Damon Hill is World Champion... And I've got to stop because I've got a lump in my throat
  • Options
    "Christmas time, and Euells tide turns, and its FOUR for Charlton"

"Rommedahl, he can hit it, he can win it, for Charlton Athletic"

"Lisbie, oh what a goal, what a hat trick, what a moment at the valley"

"Ephraim, puts it in for the league leaders and huddersfield have it all to do if they are going to stay unbeaten"

• Options
    Off_it said:

"And it's the goal that could well have secured first division football for Charlton Athletic, and it's Peter Shirtliff again"

This one still does it for me.

Closely followed by, "what happened there Alvin?" as Melrose scored after 9 seconds at West Ham.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    LBC had this new innovation whereby they would get quick updates from every league club in the country.
    Someone should have told the poor bloke from Burnley, because his response was........
    ".... off I am busy"
  • Options
    Gooooaaaalllll... Its a Gooaaaallll we've bloody done it we've scored!!... Johnnniieeeee!!

Me v Queens Park Rangers (sounding and dancing like a ferret had just run up me trousers)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ....and the away team are playing left to right in yellow shirts with matching socks kicking the ball around...and running about the pitch on the lovely sunny day down at the valley. How the colour of the seats behind the goal have faded since That goal was scored by Mills in the pouring rain. Oh and Charlton have just scored. 1-0.

BBC reporter Gemma(?) commentating against .....
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

....and the away team are playing left to right in yellow shirts with matching socks kicking the ball around...and running about the pitch on the lovely sunny day down at the valley. How the colour of the seats behind the goal have faded since That goal was scored by Mills in the pouring rain. Oh and Charlton have just scored. 1-0.

BBC reporter Gemma(?) commentating against .....

I would have said Bolton last season with Lookman scoring the quick goal but you've mentioned a sunny day whereas that was a weekday evening in the freezing cold
  • Options
    Kirkpatrick to Williams. This is great stuff. Phil Bennett covering. Chased by Alistair Scown. Brilliant! Oh, that's brilliant! John Williams, Bryan Williams. Pullin. John Dawes, great dummy. To David, Tom David, the half-way line! Brilliant by Quinnell! This is Gareth Edwards! A dramatic start! What a score! Oh, that fellow Edwards!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Saga Lout said:

"Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken" - Murray Walker.

"They think it's all over..." too obvious?
    The one and only drivel-master Murray. Another of his (in the rain): "I should imagine that the conditions in the cockpit are totally unimaginable".

OR "And now, excuse me while I interrupt myself".
  • Options
    "Ali can hardly hold his hands up"- Harry Carpenter in the 6th round of the Rumble in the Jungle.
  • Options
    "There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire." Murray again.
  • Options

"Ali can hardly hold his hands up"- Harry Carpenter in the 6th round of the Rumble in the Jungle.

and then......

And suddenly Ali looks very tired indeed. In fact, Ali at times now looks as though he can hardly lift his arms up ... Oh, he's got him with a right hand! He's got him! Oh, you can't believe it – and he's doing his shuffle! And I don't think Foreman's going to get up ... he's trying to beat the count ... and he's out! Oh my God, he's won the title back at 32!
  • Options
    2005 AFL semi-final, Sydney vs Geelong. Sydney's Nick Davis kicked four unanswered goals to win it for the Swans, the final goal coming in the very last second of the match prompting these lines:

Anthony Hudson (Channel Ten, national TV coverage): "I don't believe it! I see it but I don't believe it!"

Clinton Grybas (3AW, Melbourne radio station - and therefore backing Geelong): "Nick Davis has done it for Sydney! It's grand larceny! It's daylight robbery! It's Ronnie Biggs! It's Ned Kelly! It's the greatest thieving effort you'll ever see!"
  • Options
    Hereford v Newcastle Utd FA Cup, John Motson

"Radford again, Ronnie Radford, oohhhh what a goal from Ronnie Radford"

Probably still my favourite long range goal of all time and when the FA Cup truly meant something.
  • Options
    posted without reading ANY of the above .. there is only one, just the one, THE one piece of commentary that is worth remembering ....

'some people are on the pitch .. they think it's all over .........................IT IS NOW !!! .. '

Geoff Hurst enters the history books

(If I could recall any commentary from Mendonca's Wembley mind blower .. that would be right up there as well)