Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you think Mambo will get more of a chance this season?

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/football/charlton/9158184.Mambo__This_is_a_massive_year_for_me/?ref=rss   

he seems to think hes got a part to play this season. He may only come on as a sub but its more then what he played last season.

Comments

• Options
    He should get a few chances, otherwise why keep him on the books. He's a big lad, just what we need in central defence, but looks to lack a bit of confidence. Playing in a successful and winning team will bring about that confidence. PP couldn't bring out the best in him, let's hope CP can
  • Options
    Not convinced he's good enough but we'll see, he is still learning and sometimes young players suddenly push on.
  • Options
    He has to push on doesn't he, he only got a one year deal didn't he ? Wasn't it touch & go whether he got a deal at all ?
  • Options
    Hopefully we'll comfortably beat a few teams this year, which should give Mambo an opportunity to come on for the last few minutes of some games. Last year we were typically only 1 or 2 goals up if we were winning, making it a big risk to bring on an inexperienced player to protect the lead.
  • Options
    give him more starts in the cup maybe. If he preforms well he could play in other games.
  • Options
    He isnt good enough. That will be proven the moment he is pressed into action in a league one game.

He has failed to impress when out on numerous loan outings. Was an absolute disaster at Shrewsbury in the cup.

Wont be anywhere near the first team and will be gone next summer.
  • Options
    Hopefully we'll comfortably beat a few teams this year, which should give Mambo an opportunity to come on for the last few minutes of some games. Last year we were typically only 1 or 2 goals up if we were winning, making it a big risk to bring on an inexperienced player to protect the lead.

5 subs only. He wont be one of them.
  • Options
    In shrewsbury he scored an own goal i think but to be fair thats one of the only games hes played as a charlton player and he can only get better. Hes not the best of defenders i agree but he needs games to develop, to be a better player.
  • Options
    if he plays in a League One game we are in trouble
  • Options
    He might be on the subs bench just depends on CP veiw on him. Most probably not though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He should just play in early cup games then to just give him some playing time maybe. I agree he shouldnt be in the starting team in the league.
  • Options
    In shrewsbury he scored an own goal i think but to be fair thats one of the only games hes played as a charlton player and he can only get better. Hes not the best of defenders i agree but he needs games to develop, to be a better player.

I was there. The own goal was the lesser of many evils.
  • Options
    He should just play in early cup games then to just give him some playing time maybe. I agree he shouldnt be in the starting team in the league.
    But if it's painstakingly obvious to the management that he's not good enough, then there would be no point in doing this. Why purposefully weaken the side to give Mambo a few minutes?

That said, we have given him one last chance with another contract. All depends on whether we get another centre back in, and injuries/suspensions. I'd still be very surprised to see him start a League 1 game though - if we're low on numbers we're bound to get a loanee in.
  • Options
    I get the impression that it's very much last chance saloon for Mambo and his Charlton career. I think the club need to see him push on considerably over the next few months or he will be toast come June next. Hope he does but I doubt he will.
  • Options
    I think by the article that Powell is trying to make him a better player. Like i said he shouldn't play in the league. Personally i think he should play in cup games. He needs to get better and get more experience otherwise he should be loaned out. Hes still young and hes plenty of time to develop into a better player.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    True if he dont preform he will be sold.
    I get the impression that it's very much last chance saloon for Mambo and his Charlton career. I think the club need to see him push on considerably over the next few months or he will be toast come June next. Hope he does but I doubt he will.

• Options
    Could be the "next Rufus" according to Powell.

Up to Yado to prove him right.
  • Options
    He just meant he goes to church on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Could be the "next Rufus" according to Powell.

Up to Yado to prove him right.
    wasn't Aswad Thomas supposed to be that? Wonder where he is now...
  • Options
    We're not in a position to judge are we?  CP & others may see stuff in training that warrants another chance, and we have possibly been too hasty with younger players.  (Michael Turner for example).  On the same basis let's no write off Waggy too soon, but be grateful we have alternatives
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're not in a position to judge are we?  CP & others may see stuff in training that warrants another chance, and we have possibly been too hasty with younger players.  (Michael Turner for example).  On the same basis let's no write off Waggy too soon, but be grateful we have alternatives
    Far too rational RL, you'll never last on here : - )

being serious you are spot on.  It's one year on what I imagine is a cheap contract.  If it doesn't work then he'll be released but his has the physical attributes and needs to step it up now.  Let's give him a chance to prove himself in the reserves and if he shows enough there then in the odd Kent Cup or JPT games.
  • Options
    Basially what i said ;) about the chance in the cup.
  • Options
    He's 19 years old and he is still developing - surely he's too young to be written off? Powell obviously sees something in him and thinks there is a chance that he could be good enough to play for Charlton otherwise he would already be out of the door.

And I think he meets the Stringent Charlton Life height requirements.
  • Options
    Hes done okay Pre Season no ones said hes had a bad game. Did he play at Welling?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As many have said on here, It wouldn't be unreasonable for him to expect to be given the chance to impress in JPT games etc but he'll have to show improvement in any opportunity he does get to be considered for the first team. Especially if we re-sign Christian Dailly who the SLP states has phoned CP to ask if he can come back training with us. I'd quite like to see Dailly return as he'd add good experience to our new young squad and would keep Morrison and Taylor on their toes (I'd put him ahead of Mambo and the Doc in terms of our CB's if he did)
  • Options
    Your right.
    As many have said on here, It wouldn't be unreasonable for him to expect to be given the chance to impress in JPT games etc but he'll have to show improvement in any opportunity he does get to be considered for the first team. Especially if we re-sign Christian Dailly who the SLP states has phoned CP to ask if he can come back training with us. I'd quite like to see Dailly return as he'd add good experience to our new young squad and would keep Morrison and Taylor on their toes (I'd put him ahead of Mambo and the Doc in terms of our CB's if he did)

• Options
    We were not too hasty with Michael Turner. We were an established Premier League team when he was released and he wasn't ready for Premier League football at the time. It was only his spells in the lower leagues that made him the player he is today.

You could of course argue that we would be making the same mistake with Mambo if we let him go, apart from the fact that most who have seen Mambo play seem to think he isn't very good.
  • Options
    We were not too hasty with Michael Turner. We were an established Premier League team when he was released and he wasn't ready for Premier League football at the time. It was only his spells in the lower leagues that made him the player he is today.

You could of course argue that we would be making the same mistake with Mambo if we let him go, apart from the fact that most who have seen Mambo play seem to think he isn't very good.
    'People' often expect too much. If a debutant, even a defender doesn't score a hat trick, make 10 goal line clearances and put the opposing striker 5 rows back in the west stand, he's 'not very good'
  • Options
    I'm not sure how that's really relevant. When Michael Turner was at the club, who would he have played ahead of?

In that respect it is similar to Mambo. Turner wasn't good enough at the time to be near the starting XI, nor is Mambo now.
  • Options

Sure, Turner wasn't ready...neither was Fortune, but we loaned him out and then later he claimed his place in the squad.  Brentford saw enough to pay a fee for Turner, as did QPR with Shittu.  Mambo may well turn out to be not good enough, all I'm saying is let's give it a bit longer, if we can afford it.