Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Red red robin, instead of just clapping in unison when it's played

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm proud of it and love the song. Couldn't care less what the opposing fans think, it's wonderful that we have tradition. It's better than running out to some 90s dance rubbish.

Living up to your user name sir! I salute you.
  • Options
    I always sing along. And clap. But the clapping is due to clapping the lads as they come out, if there is music playing you just end up clapping in time. 
    I don't think there is anything wrong with clapping, but we should all make more of an effort to sing along, nice and loud. Even if you don't like the song you love the club, and this song is a part of the club. 
  • Options
    I love the Red Red Robin - i have been brought up with that tune and have had it played at family members funerals but i do wonder what it would be like to have a different anthem , one that might send some fear into the opposition.
    Could a song really strike fear into the opposition? They'd have to be a bit soft.

I remember the Wet Ham fans singing 'You're going home in a London ambulance' at us when I was 14 and just thinking 'I better zip up my coat on the way out'

• Options
    I always sing along. And clap. But the clapping is due to clapping the lads as they come out, if there is music playing you just end up clapping in time. 
    I don't think there is anything wrong with clapping, but we should all make more of an effort to sing along, nice and loud. Even if you don't like the song you love the club, and this song is a part of the club. 

Sorry to disagree but the song is not the club. I don't sing because I don't want to sing. I am of the opinion that if I wanted to spend my Saturday's singing I'd have joined a chior instead of a football club.

I love the club so I watch the football. I know it's probably not what you inteded but your post epitomises one of my pet hates, fans telling other fans how they should or shouldn't support the club.

I do clap, but as you point out that's because I am clapping the players onto the pitch. I wold love to get through just one season (or even just one game) without anybody telling anybody else that they should sing this, stand there, shout that and generally watch the game in they way they do otherwise they are not 'real fans'.

That is al!

• Options
    I didn't mean to tell anyone how to do anything. I just feel it would be nice if the song was sung loudly. if anyone doesn't want to do it its fine by me!
  • Options
    I love the Red Red Robin - i have been brought up with that tune and have had it played at family members funerals but i do wonder what it would be like to have a different anthem , one that might send some fear into the opposition.
    Could a song really strike fear into the opposition? They'd have to be a bit soft.

I remember the Wet Ham fans singing 'You're going home in a London ambulance' at us when I was 14 and just thinking 'I better zip up my coat on the way out'

The classical music they play at Sunderland when the come out is very stirring and gets the fans up for it. 
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lvpqPqvOvo

Doris day version. Much more upbeat than others. Maybe the younsters can do the Poznan thingy instead of singing.
  • Options

Sorry to disagree but the song is not the club. I don't sing because I don't want to sing. I am of the opinion that if I wanted to spend my Saturday's singing I'd have joined a chior instead of a football club.

I love the club so I watch the football. I know it's probably not what you inteded but your post epitomises one of my pet hates, fans telling other fans how they should or shouldn't support the club.

I do clap, but as you point out that's because I am clapping the players onto the pitch. I wold love to get through just one season (or even just one game) without anybody telling anybody else that they should sing this, stand there, shout that and generally watch the game in they way they do otherwise they are not 'real fans'.

That is al!

as long as your in the east stand that is fine. I would also point out that your pet hate is fans telling other fans how to support the club but if you use the word 'support' that would suggest getting behind the team. you do however say 'i love the club so i watch the football' which is up to you however i would suggest you are more a follower of the club/team rather than a supporter.
  • Options
    oh and i agree that fans should sing along to red red robin
  • Options

Sorry but all I said was I don't sing. I didn't say I didn't support and wasn't vocal in other ways.  I follow football, I support Charlton.

But they are both just labels so give me whatever one makes you happy.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

no worries, one of my pet hates is fans having a go at other fans for voicing their opinion which is the way you seemed to be going with your post but not here to hate.

If you support and are vocal you can have the supporter label

label appilcations from other fans close ont the 5th of August

• Options
    I must be honest singing red red Robin is not something I do, in my opinion I think it's dated.

However most other chants I'm singing away... Think we need to look at making valley flloyd road compulsory to sing :p
  • Options
    Isn't it weird that a thread about our rather quaint song is able to become yet another platform for a spat between supporters?
  • Options

I knew someone would eventually make something out of this. It is not a 'spat' it is a difference of opinions and an entirley polite one at that. Can we not even have a difference of opinion these days?

• Options

I knew someone would eventually make something out of this. It is not a 'spat' it is a difference of opinions and an entirley polite one at that. Can we not even have a difference of opinion these days?

• Options

My understanding is that a 'spat' is a kind of polite difference of opinion. of course folk are entitled to air differences of opinion.

DRF, do you think we've just had our first spat? :-)

• Options

These were my favourite Spatz

• Options

Maybe you're right Seth. The Oxford dictionary has spat as "…a quarrel about an unimportant matter…"

Unless you mean "the spawn or larvae of shellfish, especially oysters…"

• Options
    I don't like the Doris Day version - but I do think that we should put those pictures of her up on the big screen just for a laugh.
  • Options
    now there's a vintage "would ya" if ever i saw one....................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Don't care if its dated, its our song and I sing it as loud as I can.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzbcBtuCmio&playnext=1&list=PL2036EECB2C0E0EC9

Tbh, its dated but it is our song and it gives me that feeling inside. 
  • Options
    Don't care if its dated, its our song and I sing it as loud as I can.
    This.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQcwatwd6JA&feature=related

Or we could play that out the speakers loud! 
    We have done before. This would probably put the jitters in other teams more. 
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQcwatwd6JA&feature=related

Or we could play that out the speakers loud! 
    We have done before. This would probably put the jitters in other teams more. 
    Well, it would certainly have them running for the exits screaming...................followed by thousands of charlton supporters.