Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Don't lose your Oyster card

2»

Comments

• Options

Definitel appeal GN. Doesn't seem legal on the surface of it what they are doing, so it probably isn't.

Couple of points, unrelated;
    1. Oyster should cap at the cost of a day travelcard. Mine does to and from Forest Hill (zone3), whether i use Southern trains or the ELL ('Overground/ underground), and this should be same for all including Lee.

2. I have always got refunds when due to me by calling the number on the back. You have to call the next day, explain the situation and they will refund to your Oyster the next time you check in at your nominated station. It's people not knowing about this or not bothering that helps TFL to massive overcharges.
    But if you only get a train to and from forest hill once in a day then it would cap any other journey you make with tube or bus and not charge you more. have you done the work to forest hill twice in a day? you'd definitely get charged twice. 

I went up town and definitely spent the travelcard price throughout the day on various buses and tubes and the train up there, and i still got charged to get the train home. 

• Options
    edited August 2011
    SuzieSausage said;
    But if you only get a train to and from forest hill once in a day then it would cap any other journey you make with tube or bus and not charge you more. have you done the work to forest hill twice in a day? you'd definitely get charged twice. 

I went up town and definitely spent the travelcard price throughout the day on various buses and tubes and the train up there, and i still got charged to get the train home. 

Yes. Two separate return journeys hours apart. You should ring them and explain and they should refund you. You shouldn't have to. Also i've found there are some amazing intricacies in the system. For example; the platform ticket has made a come back on Oyster, or some version of it. So if you enter the platform, to wait for someone or have a sit down, you get charged £1.30. So if you enter the platform then decide you need a paper or coffee and exit again, you get charged £1.30. I had previously thought it levied a minimum charge which i was then refunded at the end of the day but no. And there's some 3 minute rule to this that their call centre explained to me but i didn't get it.

Oyster seems to assume people just travel from A to B. Hanging around at stations isn't what it used to be.
  • Options
    swords_alive 

I have had that kind of problem before... there's something like a 5 minute window where if you exit and then enter again it doesn't treat it as two separate journeys... once i went to pick up my missus at Kings Cross, low and behold straight out of the station and she's there, straight back in and home... oh but wait... my Oyster card thinks I went from start to start without interruption and has done me an incomplete journey and blocked the cap on my card - another trip to the ticket office then where most of the snotty-nosed staff can't be bothered to deal with your Oyster and needlessly fob you off to the helpline!
  • Options
    ISLS- Sounds about par for the course. The helpline is good though. Give it 24 hours, before calling. Next day, refund, and sometimes, hopefully a bit more knowledge acquired in this dark subject matter.
  • Options
    also last week, i got a bus from mine to lewisham station and the barriers were open there, so i walked through but did tap in - but it didnt beep but the train was there. so i got to charing cross and it cost me £4.40. so I assume as I didn't tap in properly as I was in a rush that it charged me for the whole journey. If the system knows where i am and is that clever, surely it should know that I got on at lewisham? then i'd be impressed by the system!
  • Options
    After two visits in the padt three months and using bus, train, DLR and tube, i found the transport system brilliant and the Oyster card also brilliant. Yes, i know i don't have to use it all the time!
  • Options
    The oyster system is good, except if you hold it over a pay point it is tricky to see how much credit you have left, unless you hang around and annoy everybody behind you. However on buses, if the sum shines directly on the screen it's even harder.
  • Options
    Finally got the letter back after giving them another well worded angry letter (even mentioned the ombudsman)

Their letter basically said words to the effect of "we think you are in the wrong but we have decided to waive the fine on this occasion, don't do it again". Get in!

Thanks for the advice all.
  • Options

My Oyster card is registered but only recently logged on to look at my journey history. There are several errors where i did tap in but got charged full fares.

As an example, getting on at Cannot Street shows up as getting out and at Westcombe Park shows me as entering, not getting off. Had something the same entering Charging X.

I filled in an online form but had no response. Do they just ignore these requests? How long does it take them to reply?? 

• Options

My Oyster card is registered but only recently logged on to look at my journey history. There are several errors where i did tap in but got charged full fares.

As an example, getting on at Cannot Street shows up as getting out and at Westcombe Park shows me as entering, not getting off. Had something the same entering Charging X.

I filled in an online form but had no response. Do they just ignore these requests? How long does it take them to reply?? 

They don't ignore them, but you can bet your life they stick them on the 'pay no mind' list. They couldn't give a s*** about you being overcharged - and the amount of money they make out of overcharging people is absolutely staggering. We have sleepwalked into a situation where a private company knows everything about every journey you make, and can pretty much charge you whatever they feel like - with the onus being on YOU to try and recover that money by proving that THEY are at fault.

Oyster=Evil
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those words actually mean, you prevented us from nicking money off you so the best we can do is give you a telling off. I've had that with a parking fine I succesfully appealed- authorities hate being caught out/beaten.
  • Options
    "Never apologise, never explain" is the mantra of our lords and masters...