Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

East Terrace From Days gone by..

Comments

• Options
    Hot roasted chestnuts. Used to be a bloke with a brazier selling them in Floyd Road near the corner to Charlton Church Lane. Never bought any but they always smelled nice.
  • Options

Hot roasted chestnuts. Used to be a bloke with a brazier selling them in Floyd Road near the corner to Charlton Church Lane. Never bought any but they always smelled nice.

Same here.
  • Options
    an earlier post by viewfinder mentioned the peanut man. Tanner a bag.
  • Options
    No doubt Chrissy has the players doing this most days. Note SAMs sports shop.
  • Options

That's it, SHG - you've got it. I walked past the Percy Dalton's peanut works at Hackney Wick quite recently: a handsome Victorian pile now converted to artists' studios.

• Options
    Anyone else have one of these ? I painted mine red and white.
  • Options

That's it, SHG - you've got it. I walked past the Percy Dalton's peanut works at Hackney Wick quite recently: a handsome Victorian pile now converted to artists' studios.

P Dalton's original 'works' were in the Commercial Road E1, a few 100 yards from where I went to school. The Hackney Wick works .. I had a summer job there once upon a time .. mixing nuts and raisins .. pour the nuts and raisins into a large shallow 'pool' and mix with a large shovel, then turn on the bagger and push the mix through a channel into an auto packing machine ... the large shovel was kept spotlessly clean b t w .. lovely job, P Daltons employed a lot of pretty East End girls in those days (:->)
  • Options

P Dalton's original 'works' were in the Commercial Road E1, a few 100 yards from where I went to school. The Hackney Wick works .. I had a summer job there once upon a time .. mixing nuts and raisins .. pour the nuts and raisins into a large shallow 'pool' and mix with a large shovel, then turn on the bagger and push the mix through a channel into an auto packing machine ... the large shovel was kept spotlessly clean b t w .. lovely job, P Daltons employed a lot of pretty East End girls in those days (:->)
    Did you ever get your nuts near them Lincs ? ;0)

• Options
    Was this it Lincs ?
  • Options
    good question SHG .. remember this was back in the early/mid 70s .. so it must be the building .. I had a lot of different temp jobs during that time in lots of warehouses and factory premises that all looked similar. I have no idea when Dalton's left Stepney, unless the Commercial Road lot was simply a warehouse for the Hackney HQ .. as to the 'East End Girls' .. my nuts were kept well salted, I am overjoyed to recall .. but I simply mustn't brag
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    March51 said:

I'm afraid I can Six-a, it was in January 1956: 5th. round of the Cup. We knew it would be a big crowd so my dad said that if we got seperated we'd meet back at the car( Mk.1 Consul, posh eh?) which was parked miles away. I was 9 then and we got seperated within yards of going through the gates (I had to go through the 'Boys' turnstile, of course). The crowd was massive, over 70,000 I think and the crush felt frightening, especially when Arsenal scored as there was was no crowd segragation in those days. I think that was the last of the huge crowds at the Valley and seeing that film brings back all sorts of memories, thanks chingfordjim.

My first game ever. Taken by my older brother, an Arsenal supporte. I remember pushing my way through legs to get down to the front.

• Options
    edited June 2013

I've mentioned this story before .. I used to take a then girlfriend to the valley now and then .. she used to roll up with laughter at the peanut man .. she was convinced he was yelling 'penis, penis' and not the word for his wares .. anyway, enough nuts for one day
  • Options

Great story, Lincsaddick! Like the sound of the pretty girls handling your nuts, so to speak. The factory district of Hackney Wick is a zone in transition; the painter Bridget Riley has a studio here. Iain Sinclair writes about the area very eloquently: I thoroughly recommend his 'Hackney: That Rose-Red Empire', now in paperback and cheap from Amazon.

• Options

Great story, Lincsaddick! Like the sound of the pretty girls handling your nuts, so to speak. The factory district of Hackney Wick is a zone in transition; the painter Bridget Riley has a studio here. Iain Sinclair writes about the area very eloquently: I thoroughly recommend his 'Hackney: That Rose-Red Empire', now in paperback and cheap from Amazon.

Mustn't buy from Amazon. They're evil, apparently.
  • Options

Old gits thread

8)

You rang?

Then there was the old fella who hung up the half time scores on the boards located on the west side, on the bit of wall in front of where the police horses exercised, and on the front of the east terrace wall. He'd do one side, smoke a roll-up, then take the numbers down and hang 'em up on the other side. This procedure always took a while but by around 4.20p.m we all knew what the scores were.

• Options
    March51 said:

Old gits thread

8)

You rang?

Then there was the old fella who hung up the half time scores on the boards located on the west side, on the bit of wall in front of where the police horses exercised, and on the front of the east terrace wall. He'd do one side, smoke a roll-up, then take the numbers down and hang 'em up on the other side. This procedure always took a while but by around 4.20p.m we all knew what the scores were.

I used to stand in the south west corner and ther was the same system there. There was a A,B,C etc printed in the programme and you matched that with the matches to get the half time scores. Bloody primitive actually and not used every week.

• Options
    March51 said:

Old gits thread

8)

You rang?

Remember that too.
  • Options
    Wasn't it the same silvery haired man who on his own would keep an eye on the player's /officials entrance behind the main stand and where we would try to sneek in to get to the bar after the game to get autographs. Yes this might be an old gits thread but you will all do it one day as well, particularly when there is not much else to write about. Wasn't the original half time board up above the South East corner, looking a bit like an old cricket scoreboard? The AtoZ's on it often appear on photos
  • Options
    Used to hop in from the houses next to Sam Bartrams. Often stood next to Peter Reeves after he retired, great bloke. Dad used to put me at the front from the early 60's and then collect me at full time. Was possible sometimes to st down and still watch comfortably. Also, often parked right by the gate.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Used to hop in from the houses next to Sam Bartrams. Often stood next to Peter Reeves after he retired, great bloke. Dad used to put me at the front from the early 60's and then collect me at full time. Was possible sometimes to st down and still watch comfortably. Also, often parked right by the gate.

For many seasons it was possible to lay down and watch.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I've mentioned this story before .. I used to take a then girlfriend to the valley now and then .. she used to roll up with laughter at the peanut man .. she was convinced he was yelling 'penis, penis' and not the word for his wares .. anyway, enough nuts for one day
    You saying that he wasn't then? I thought it was cheap for sixpence :-)
  • Options
    I remember the East Terrace from the mid-seventies onwards. I went to every home game with my uncle for about 4 years. Always used to stand on the half-way line about 3/4s of the way up.
    I remember always wanting a 'burger from the hamburger stand which stood on the bit of rough ground at the top of the terrace. My uncle always warned me that I would regret it if I did, so one day I plucked up the courage and bought one. Needless to say I regretted it about 4 hours later!!!!
  • Options

masicat said:

Haha yeh!
    There were occasions in the 70's when you could hand count everybody in the ground right up until about ten to three!
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Think the old boy had a speech impediment to be fair.
    Sort of sounded like "Poyeena"
    Was part of the whole east terrace experience.
    "Peanuts, tanner a bag - six a bag of nuts".
    God bless him, wherever he is.
  • Options

masicat said:

I can remember one hot day in late april against I believe shrewbury when a lad & scantily dressed girl layed down a beach towel & had a picknick ( probably about 1983/4 )

• Options
    Brilliant video (original post)
  • Options

I remember the East Terrace from the mid-seventies onwards. I went to every home game with my uncle for about 4 years. Always used to stand on the half-way line about 3/4s of the way up.
    I remember always wanting a 'burger from the hamburger stand which stood on the bit of rough ground at the top of the terrace. My uncle always warned me that I would regret it if I did, so one day I plucked up the courage and bought one. Needless to say I regretted it about 4 hours later!!!!

I went out with a girl who worked in that burger van (early 80's) and made a bob or two on the side by charging for a large burger & only giving the customer a regular one...............she also told me where the burgers came from, but that is a trade secret !

• Options
    edited June 2013

Remember him well SHG. Bought one when we spanked Cardiff 5-0. 1968?

If that was the Easter 1968 Cardiff fixture, Yorky ...... if I remember, Charlton won 4-1 with skipper Graham Moore scoring with one hell of a piledriver from outside the box - nearly broke the net.
  • Options
    My first years of following charlton used to stand at the top with my grandad wot a view when game finished straight back up the hill to get the bus back to blackheath 1st game always remember friday night game southampton 6- 2 .
  • Options
    Cardiff 5-0 ?? I think in Sep 66 we had back-to-back 5-0 home wins over Cardiff and Brizzle C (not necessarily in that order). Sadly it never became a regular event ....

Nowadays we can tell the attendance by the number of empty seats. In those days you could tell the attendance by how full the ground was. This was particularly true of the East Terrace, as it slowly filled up. The walkways and steps would gradually become defined as the surrounding spaces were occupied, and you could predict the crowd with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Someone once referred to the ground as a vast concrete bowl and so it was, especially prior to 68 when the top of the South was sliced off. The mighty East was highly impressive, but there were other, smaller idiosyncracies. Tall though the East was, to each side of the postage stamp Grandstand at the bottom of the small terraces you could actually stand below pitch level. And that small raised terrace beside the Covered End - what was that all about ?

A very special and unique stadium.