Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best place to stay in Ireland

edited August 2011 in Not Sports Related
Looking for lifers to help me out with some ideas,recommendations,tips for where to stay in Ireland.

I'm taking the mrs away for a good old fashioned romantic weekend.

Lifers have helped me out past with some great tips.

Comments

• Options
    Cork?
  • Options
    Cork for sure. Thats where my family is from. Lovely city and close to the sea. 
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    If you wanna go somewhere scenic, quiet and friendly then go to kerry. Killarney town is really beautiful, very friendly and lots to do. Same with Dingle which is out in the west of Kerry. Some amazing scenery out there and has an amazing history.
    http://www.discoverireland.ie/Places-To-Go/Killarney---Ring-of-Kerry/More-Info

http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/
  • Options
    Cork and Kerry? I'll have a look at those.

Heard the food out there is great!
  • Options
    Kilkenny is great. Lovely place and lots of pubs.
  • Options
    Galway is another good bet - especially around the bay. Some decent hotels there.
  • Options

Last time I went to Dingle.

First pic is the view of Dingle from the window of my B and B

Second is music in a pub in Dingle

Third is the Connor Pass near Dingle.

• Options
    Anywhere on the "Ring of Kerry" (cue innuendo filled comments). Sneem is very nice.
  • Options

Last time I went to Dingle.

First pic is the view of Dingle from the window of my B and B

Second is music in a pub in Dingle

Third is the Connor Pass near Dingle.

Aha

That's a 'would ya' in the second pic, no?

:o)
  • Options
    Is there much to do there? Any places to eat that are great?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cork is brilliant. Get on the Paddy Wagon to Blarney Castle and kiss the blarney stone, have a drink in the Bodrahn (sp?) pub where Phil Linnot used to drink and go on a day trip to Kinsale. Beautiful place! 
  • Options
    I'd say Galway as well.  Nice town centre, great race track, on the coast, good night life, endless nice bars.
  • Options
    Cork is nice, but Kilkenny is our favourite spot. Or the South East coast, Waterford and Wexford
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's in put it seems everyone is saying Kilkenny over cork. Best places to stay?
  • Options
    The penthouse at Eliza Lodge, Dublin, is my favourite place to stay in Ireland then a day/night in the Dame Tavern on the Guinness and betting on the horses is my favourite day to have. Shame it's too bleeding expensive nowadays.

• Options
    We've been twice, first time we stayed in a B&B down by the cathedral and round tower, near one end of the high street, second time we camped at a site about a 20 min walk from the castle, to the south east of town.

There are plenty of B&Bs, but if you want a hotel Days hotel and another hotel, both right near the castle, so right in the town centre.

I want to go back during the Irish may bank holiday one year, they have a big comedy festival in the town.
  • Options
    Loads of places to stay in Kilkenny town but some can be a little pricey. Days Inn is your best budget bet or various b&b's. Traditional music trail is well worth doing. Pubs like Kyteler's Inn and Langtons worth a visit but plenty of pubs around. Lots of historical buildings if you like that and you can get city tours. If you ask and there's one on I would really recommend a trip to watch either a game of hurling or Gaelic football. If you take a trip out in the countryside nice places to visit are Inistioge and Graignamanagh to name but two, which are reasonably close together. St. Mullins too is very beautiful. You have a racetrack down at Gowran if you're lucky enough to have a meeting on when you're there. Plenty to do and don't be scared to be adventurous!
  • Options
    I'd suggest anywhere on the west coast, but the only problem is getting there as it's mostly A roads etc. Enniskillen is gorgeous and well worth a look - it's inbetween Sligo and Omagh
  • Options

Was in Cork on business last week, very nice.  Clarion Hotel is very nice and one of the best steaks I have ever eaten in the Boardwalk restaurant nearby

Going to Kilkenny next month which looks very nice.

• Options
    on the plane.... joke ive never been, have a great time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.goingtomyhometown.com/
    a week of Blues music dedicated to Europes greatest bluesman, in beautiful Co Donegal.......  lovely people, great music, good fun.
    The Irish know how to hold a festival and have a good time that is free ( except the Saturday night concert).
    Go on enjoy yourself.......
  • Options
    Always stay a night in doolin on way back from tipp Seth. Beautiful spot.

Anywhere west coast is stunning. But killarney is a good shout. Hopefully its a long weekend as as mentioned all need car hire.

Doolin is an hours drive from Shannon.
  • Options

Curb_it, Doolin is a very good call indeed. My brother lives in Shannon (nephew plays for Shannon Rugby Union team, who share the ground of Munster in Limerick). Just as Limerick must be close to the most unattractive city in Ireland, the rest of the countryside in the West is exquisite....especially if you have a bit of celtic blood in you. I reckon the far west reaches of Europe, such as Wales, Brittany, Cornwall, Scotland and Ireland have a wonderful landscape, all the more stirring in poor weather, and so lovely when the sun shines. My Grandmother is from a village called Glin, and my mother from Charleville (Rath Luric) in County Cork.

Incidentally travelling with my irish passport has unexpected benefits. A visa to China with a British passport is ten times the cost of a visa travelling on my irish passport.

• Options

Cork is great.

Take a trip to Bantry Bay, beautiful place ... I am biased as it's where my old man came from but it is a terrific place.

• Options
    Dingle is brilliant. Stayed in a hotel called the Skelligs - amazing scenery.

Going back some years though.
  • Options
    Car hire a must?

What place has the most things to do and see?
  • Options
    If you wanna go somewhere scenic, quiet and friendly then go to kerry. Killarney town is really beautiful, very friendly and lots to do. Same with Dingle which is out in the west of Kerry. Some amazing scenery out there and has an amazing history.
    http://www.discoverireland.ie/Places-To-Go/Killarney---Ring-of-Kerry/More-Info

http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/
    If you decide on Killarney you've got a decent sized town with plenty of shops for the mrs, plenty of pubs but you have to go to Killarney National Park. Outstanding scenery & you'll probably have it all to yourself.Try & go from one end (Queens View I think it's called) to the other. You'll need a small car tho......or maybe a bike !