Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Squad Strength

What a delight to read about the performances of those players last night. Personally I don't now want Powell to muddy the waters by bringing in anymore players. He already has major selection problems and the last thing we need is to get in the situation we had with Pardew where he had so much choice that he never discovered his best team, or even a settled team. I have long thought that Waggy's best position is in the middle behind the striker and he proves that every time he plays there. Having Waggy negates the need to bring in a nippy striker. Benson is very good in the air, and with Green supplying some great crosses, I really don't think we need to bring in a target man either. My only other concern previous to last night was at centre half, but it sounds like Mambo is a real prospect there. We also have Francis who can play in the centre if required. We now have cover in all positions and as we proved last night, have not one but two excellent first teams. Has anyone changed their view's on bringing in additional signings after last night?

Comments

• Options
    Good post QA. I'd like to see Powell use what he's got now but perhaps a Schlupp-type signing would be advised.
  • Options
    Schlupp scored again :-(
  • Options
    wouldn't be fussed if the squad stayed as is now, can always utilise the loan system if injuries etc dictate.
  • Options
    Waggy to me could only play off the striker if the striker isn't BWP. And if BWP isn't there, we lose his goal threat. Tough one, can eventually over the next month see Waggy being the reluctant fall guy for Green.

Interested in Pritchard, that performance has taken a few by surprise. Of the current two centre mids, which one would he perform best playing alongside ?
  • Options
    Waggy to me could only play off the striker if the striker isn't BWP. And if BWP isn't there, we lose his goal threat. Tough one, can eventually over the next month see Waggy being the reluctant fall guy for Green.

Interested in Pritchard, that performance has taken a few by surprise. Of the current two centre mids, which one would he perform best playing alongside ?
    I would say Hollands, who is more of the tackler and breaking up of play, where Stephens is more about launching attacks IMO and a Pritchard/Stephens midfield would be quite vulnerable and may expose the defence, particularly late in games. I'd be happy to see him in there though, even if its just to experiment.
  • Options

Probably Hollands, but would see him ok with Stephens as well.

Thought in the few minutes he played against Bournemouth that he had massive potential and believe that even more so now ... Pritchard is going to be a very interesting prospect over the next couple of seasons.

• Options
    Would agree that there doesn't need to be a big rush to bring in more signings, though an addition at CH would not go amiss - it is a position where you can get a lot of injuries/ suspensions.  I'd almost rather we go for one or two loans, though, and keep everyone happy/ in with a chance of playing.  Am more concerned that we actually keep the players like Benno, Francis and Doc who still have a point to prove.
  • Options
    Think you'll find any players that come in will be permanent & not any loans.
  • Options
    pity that Gorkss has gone to Reading, that lowly club in Berkshire  ... he's what we could do with:  a big, mature, experienced, brick outhouse with no frills who can play a bit ...having said that it looks as though a few clubs were in for him. Reading have cash to spend on a central defender, they did well last year and earnt a few quid + they recently sold Matt Mills (welll ahhhhh) to Sven for over £4 million
  • Options
    Green and Wagstaff linked up superbly last night so I think Powell should drop Hayes and do this:

BWP
                                          Wagstaff

Midfielders                       Green
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Green and Wagstaff linked up superbly last night so I think Powell should drop Hayes and do this:

BWP
                                          Wagstaff

No...

With respect I see Hayes as being the most important part of our attacking strategy, and probably the most undervalued. We have plenty of players who can take shots on goal and who can score goals, but we need someone to hold the ball up and bring them into play. That's Hayes's job.

• Options
    I would still like to see a new CB and a striker come in (or two if Benno leaves).  But it is great to see some of the talent that we have in our squad this year - some real selection headaches as a result....fantastic!
  • Options

BWP
                                          Wagstaff

No...

With respect I see Hayes as being the most important part of our attacking strategy, and probably the most undervalued. We have plenty of players who can take shots on goal and who can score goals, but we need someone to hold the ball up and bring them into play. That's Hayes's job.

I'd just like Powell to try it out as I respect the fact that Wagstaff can't hold up the ball and Hayes can but it'll be good to try it out
  • Options
    We deffo need a striker. Eddie Johnson, David Somma, Freddie Eastwood Billy Painter or Brent Pitman. Or a Vetere unknown gem.
  • Options
    Lets not get carried away, mambo was rightly considered by most to be ...lets say not yet good enough for 1st team action. He had a decent game by all accounts last night but is still very young & learning the game. He should go out on loan for the season to get some experience & we should make a permanent signing ( I was told saturday we are signing a championship CB this week) It's all very well saying we can recruit a loan player if injury strikes but an additional CB will create a bit of much needed competition in that position. I'm not convinced that we're strong enough at the back with what we've got.
  • Options
    I thought we were excellent last night but still feel we deffo need a new cb and striker, ideally on perm deals.
  • Options
    Ive told you lads - it will be 3 in and 3 out - have i ever got it wrong before?
  • Options
    Ive told you lads - it will be 3 in and 3 out - have i ever got it wrong before?

Lol, we shall see Dan. ;0)

Why don't you do a Mystic Dan prediction of the ins and outs.
  • Options

Lol, we shall see Dan. ;0)

Why don't you do a Mystic Dan prediction of the ins and outs.
    And while you're at it, just shake it all about...
  • Options

BWP
                                          Wagstaff

No...

I think Hayes has had 3 excellent League games out of 4 , sure he had a stinker last Saturday , i hope he returns to the form he showed in the first 3 games , but footballs not an exact science.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We deffo need a striker. Eddie Johnson, David Somma, Freddie Eastwood Billy Painter or Brent Pitman. Or a Vetere unknown gem.
    Surely we have no chance of signing him this summer? lol. He's quality!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think we are still a bit thin, and some of the 1st 11 are still bedding in

get a few injuries and we are down to bare bones

think we still need 3 more players (without anyone leaving except maybe a keeper..) personally, centre half, defensive mid, and striker

Powell does seem to understand the need for service and firepower, oddly its the defence which seems a bit lacking
  • Options
    edited August 2011

BWP
                                          Wagstaff

No...

I'd just like Powell to try it out as I respect the fact that Wagstaff can't hold up the ball and Hayes can but it'll be good to try it out
    Powell did try it out...................on Tuesday, against Reading.
    He will already know that it gives a great option, a Plan B.

And probably more useful against tiring sides later in the game.

• Options
    I'm just happy to see we have a good squad this year. 

Cant remember last time our fringe players looked good.
  • Options

how many that started for reading last saturday started against us , does anyone know 
    just want a gage a strength of their team we played against, seen a few names but they may not be starters for reading for a few reasons like coming back for injury, loss of form etc

cos one decent game doesnt make our back ups brilliant or in hughes's case doesnt make him pony
  • Options
    Summing up this thread, we are looking for a Striker and a Centre Back. I believe that if we can get these two sorted, we are going to be a very potent force in this League. An obvious remark maybe, but the secret is to get the right two which will not be easy. Happily we have the right people to do it, so I live in hope. How refreshing it is to see a team that has bonded, and shows great spirit. With the talent that we showed on Tuesday, CP has to show us his ruthless side if he has one, because team selection is going to be crucial.
  • Options
    Do we need another centre back? I reckon Mambo is more than good enough to fill in when needed.
  • Options

how many that started for reading last saturday started against us , does anyone know 
    just want a gage a strength of their team we played against, seen a few names but they may not be starters for reading for a few reasons like coming back for injury, loss of form etc

cos one decent game doesnt make our back ups brilliant or in hughes's case doesnt make him pony
    Only Harte and McAnuff started the Saturday before. But McCarthy, Morrison, Church and Obita all started on the bench.

Robson-Kanu came on who also started against Barnsley.
  • Options
    Do we need another centre back? I reckon Mambo is more than good enough to fill in when needed.
    He did well with Doherty giving him instructions and advice, and presumably Taylor would be able to do likewise.  However Morrison is still pretty young for a CB (23 I think) so if we were left with just those two there could be some dodgy errors made. Robbie's not renowned for his communication, Hamer's young and didn't look totally decisive Tuesday either. Not a pressing concern, but if a quality CB on a good price comes up, I'd suggest get him in.
  • Options

Only Harte and McAnuff started the Saturday before. But McCarthy, Morrison, Church and Obita all started on the bench. Robson-Kanu came on who also started against Barnsley.
    Khumalo strarted for them against both Barnsley and us aswell.