Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A View From Behind the Dugout

edited August 2011 in General Charlton
I had the pleasure of taking my grandson Mortimer to the Scunthorpe match last week and it was a pleasure to see Charlton playing football again.  Mortimer (he's only 7) asked near the end of the match who the old boy was taking the place of a young striker.  I told him it was  a Mr Doherty who was a defender.  He then asked what was wrong with his legs as they didn't seem to be working very quickly and grandma could probably run faster than him.  I mentioned that he had been playing football for a long time and his shuffle was probably due to lots of old injuries.  He asked why a defender had been brought on and I said it was to make sure everyone knew we were going to defend our slender 1 goal lead.  Mortimer asked wouldn't Scunthorpe realise that and attack more?  I said that the manager Mr Powell knew what he was doing and I had every confidence in him.  At the end of the match Mortimer asked if we could watch another match soon when maybe old people were not invited to join in a young man's game.  What do I say to him?

Comments

• Options
    OOHAHH
  • Options

Send a letter to Mr Doherty c/o CAFC.

Be honest ie tell the story above and politely ask if Gary would consider immediate retirement once he has had a chance to digest the letter. Point out that if he doesn't retire, then he is soley responsible for potentially endangering the sale of a future season ticket to Mortimer. 

Did Mortimer also comment on the height of any of our players?

• Options
    You tell him what a great name he has.

Mortimer...now there was a baller.
  • Options
    you tell him that euell is infact older than him, as was powell when he scored his last goal for us, and you tell him to respect his elders a bit more, especially ones associated with pele
  • Options
    I hope you cuffed him round the earhole and told him to stop being so cheeky! :o)

That said Doc is one season away from a zimmer!
  • Options
    Tell him that the Doc was brilliant on Tuesday until his legs fell off.
  • Options

The Doc warmed up at half time against Bournemouth jogging accross the pitch doing the high kick with the rest of players he barely reach shin height.

Other exercises he jacked in.

Me and old man we laughing it was so pathetic he looked like a sunday morning player warming up and i seen them do better

• Options
    Doc was solid the other night.
    He may be slower than most, but he reads the game very well and will always put in 100% effort.
    I Think it is great to have him in our squad.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your kind comments - I did mention to Mortimer that Mr Doherty was probably brought on because of his height and was good in the air. Mortimer said he was good in the air as well, unlike his sister Krissy who threw up all over her Dad on the flight to Spain!
  • Options

I like the idea of keeping / protecting possession and delaying play of the ball at the corner flag when its our corner with only 9 minutes left on the clock.

I can't wait to try it out.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mortimer skyped me last night (he lives in Germany) and I mentioned Mr Jarman said he the man with the slow legs played well on Tuesday night and Mr Jarman  thinks he has a good footballing brain and reads the game well.  Mortimer said that his sister has a brain like a football, but she doesn't read as well as him.  He went on to ask will Mr Doherty be playing at Bury, and asked if the other players will be upset if they lose their win bonus again?  I told him I really didn't know how the bonus system worked but perhaps we'll get a reply explaining it.
  • Options
    My grandson Mortimer skyped me after the Bury match and asked if Mr Doherty played.  I told him he wasn't even on the bench, probably because he had run his legs off on Tuesday night against Reading.  Mortimer said he guessed he knew how that felt because his uncle Jim's leg sometimes fell off when they played football together.  I suggested that Uncle Jim's leg came off because its a plastic one. Mortimer said he thinks its metal as when he kicks Uncle Jim in a tackle it really really hurts.  Said he was coming back to England during the half term  and could we watch the game vs Carlisle and perhaps go and watch a riot afterwards.  He said he wants a new plasma for his bedroom and his friend Wolfgang would like some new trainers.  I told him that I'll certainly take him to the match but am a little worried about his attitude towards recreational rioting.  Has anyone got any advise on this matter?
  • Options
    A splendidly perceptive piece, we currently seem to set up our stall to defend for the last minutes, when we have quality and goals throughout the side. CP and his coaches have given us a fantastic start, but when you are winning is the time to demand more. You are talking to a successful and happy squad who, if it's done properly will respond to the need.
    As for Mortimer, give great attention to his education, he is a bright boy.
  • Options
    • Grandson Mortimer skyped me from school this morning and mentioned Mr Powell seemed to be wearing a brown suit and brown shoes at last nights drawn match.  This is almost a criminal act in Germany ( after 1800 hrs).  I told him that you would not normally see anyone in brown shoes after 1800 hrs in London  and that this is normally considered to be  a complete fashion faux pas and probably set the tone for the whole match.  Mortimer told me that his Mum had taped it last night and he saw the match before he got on the school bus this morning.  No more mention of the man with the slow legs  - he thought Mr Wright Phillips goal excellent but we needed more energy in the second half in midfield.  I told him Mr Green was sick and not on the bench.  He though Mr Stevens and Hollands tired in the second half and that is where we lost creativity.  Having been to the match I had to agree with him.  Overall Mortimer feels we have more to look forward to than worry about.  Again I had to agree with him, but will not do as he has suggested and phone Mr Powell about his brown shoes, he may just put on the white trainers he had on for a couple of games last season!  Will anyone let Mr Powell know where he is going wrong? (according to Mortimer)
  • Options
    From my position behind the dugout the ball did not cross the line!  (Unless you are talking about the Solly effort when the ball did cross the line.  How Mr Powell can say  any different leaves me to ponder on getting a new set of specs!  Charltons passing was not as snappy as on Monday and it all looked a little laboured.
  • Options
    From my position behind the dugout the ball did not cross the line!  (Unless you are talking about the Solly effort when the ball did cross the line.  How Mr Powell can say  any different leaves me to ponder on getting a new set of specs!  Charltons passing was not as snappy as on Monday and it all looked a little laboured.
    Well that's your opinion Dave. You are of course entitled to it.
    But what we really want to know is young Mortimer's view.
    Apart from his dictatorial views on sartorial matters and being perhaps a tad precocious, he really cuts the mustard with his match analysis.
  • Options
    Unfortunately Mortimer still living  in Germany but I had to give him in in depth analysis of the match on skype last night.  Without the comments on this site I would not be able to give him a full briefing as there seems to be so many contributors who know what they are talking about.  I haven't given him this site address to  look at because of the occasional bad language by some contributors.  His friend Wolfgang is taking him to watch SC Paderborn in the Bundesliga 2 soon, but I've told him the transfer window is closed and he can't change clubs now.  He said that I should just consider it as a loan for one match!  He's looking forward to half term when he can come over and see the match against Carlisle, so unfortunately we won't get many comments from him until then.  He's very exited that so many new players can gel so quickly and is already an admirer of Mr Powell especially as he's gone back to black shoes and grey suits (although he could do with losing the buckles).  He reckons the boys in Germany are much more technically able than him, rather like the boys in Spain, and although he played for his school in England he doesn't get a look in at his German school!  I told him that he's still developing and he will soon catch up with his German counterparts - if he keeps practising!
  • Options
    Small world - I lived in Paderborn for a season and had two good drinking buddies who played in their first team.
    I am guesssing young Mortimer isnt yet tall enough for his German school team?
    Its good you havent introduced him to this site as it seems there is a consensus that only tall players should be considered for Charlton, something Sir Clive Mendonca Johnny Robinson and Chris Powell told me in reverie just wasnt true.

My advice FWLIW, let him go out on loan to SCP (spooky) - we could all do with a second favourite team, especially if it is abroad and not a direct competitor.

I will miss his astute analysis and eagerly await the post Carlisle report
  • Options
    I think Mortimer meant that the German and Spanish boys can kick him with both feet and his mates in England can only catch him with one - but you are right he's probably only as tall as Mr Solly.
  • Options
    I'm sitting here in Germany having come over to see Mortimer and the other 2 grandchildren and am very pleased to have this site to keep me up to date on what happened at Rochdale today and have even managed to see all of the goals on Sky.  Please keep up the good work with all of your post match analysis as its the only thing that's keeping me and Mortimer sane!  Were living in interesting times.  Sounds like it was a really lively game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to see SC Paderborn Vs FC Ingoltstadt last night with grandson Mortimer and his German schoolfriend Wolfgang.  Nice smallish new stadium capacity about 10,000 with standing at both ends and sitting on sides.  Great views all round, smoking  and drinking allowed in stands!  Of a crowd of 5951 there must have been at least 2000 arrived by bicycle with ample lockable cycle racks all round.  SC Paderborn won 4  1, I got drunk on weak German lager and Mortimer and Wolfgang went hyper on too much cola.  Added to what sounds like a good win today at The Valley, it's been all in all a good weekend so far!
  • Options
    Skyped Mortimer last night to get his perspective on the cup match vs FC Halifax Town.  He saw the whole match on BFBS Germany and thought it a great result.  He was a bit critical of Mr Euell and thought he kind of ran a bit lopsided.  I mentioned that every time when I saw him play he did not seem to run naturally.  He never mentioned how slow Mr Euell was, I guess you lose that perspective a bit on TV.  I asked how his Dad was (Southampton Supporter) and he said that he gave him a full briefing on the phone on Monday night (He's in Afghanistan at the moment).  Said his Dad still hadn't found Uncle Jim's leg yet (he lost it in Afghanistan) but with 4 months of his tour remaining he's going to keep looking.  Mortimer said he liked the look of Mr Pritchard and Mr Evina, and would also like a longer look at Mr Smith before he forms an opinion.  He also felt the combination of Hayes/Euell wasn't working, and would I ask Mr Powell not to partner them together again.  I mentioned I hadn't got Mr Powell's e mail address and he said not to worry as his friend at school would be able to hack into Charlton's database and get it for me.  Is that legal?
  • Options

Saw this thread for the first time, very enjoyable. Thanks Mr DaveDave,

Have you thought about signing Mortimer up for Young Addicks? Assuming Greman and British half terms are the same he could get the chance to quiz Sir Christopher on his sartorial choices.