Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pistorius the Blade Runner

I am sure that everyone has heard of this brave young man and how he has overcome the loss of both legs to become a world class athlete. The question is, in your opinion, should he be allowed to compete against able bodied athletes at major championships and how far down the road would his acceptance as a 'normal' athlete change the complexion of competitive sport ?.

Oscar's prosthetic legs are a superb piece of engineering involving springs and levers and his substitute feet are a pair of blades rather like small skis. The blade feet are much longer than any natural human foot. Oscar has been told that if he is to take part in the 400 metre relay for South Africa at the upcoming world championships, he must take the first leg. (NO puns please about running false legs etc etc) The first leg of a 400m relay is run entirely in the runner's lane, subsequent legs are run in any lane of the athlete's choosing, usually the inside lane. The presumption therefore is that Oscar's blade feet will constitute a hazard to all the other runners. Also, there are suspicions that the construction of his metal and carbon legs will give him a mechanical advantage over other competitors. Incidentally in one race against able bodied runners, Pistorius was disqualified for running outside his lane as the his blades straddled the demarcation lines between lanes. After much discussion, testing and persuasion, the World Athletic organisations look to be on the verge of allowing Oscar to compete at the olympics as an 'able bodied athlete'. Rules are being amended and it could be argued ignored for the sake of one man.

In an era where athletes can be banned for long periods for taking medication for (e.g.) asthma that contains proscribed ingredients, is it just that a man who through misfortune has gained a potential advantage through the medium of tireless artificial legs and spring like feet. Could a new Ben Johnson claim that he needed stimulants to stabilise his mental processes?, should female athletes be allowed to take male hormones to increase their endurance and strength? Has the time come to take down all barriers when it comes to artificial aids and drugs and allow a free for all?,  will we soon see athletes in powererd wheelchairs competing in the marathon?, will the Paralympics become redundant and will the Olympics be open to all competitors whatever their physical condition or drug or technology of choice? 

Comments

• I used to be in the "he is getting an advantage" camp however my opinion might be changing. I read a piece on him the other day that argued many of the top athlete's in the world use technologies such as under-water treadmills and cryosaunas that are there in order to make them run faster. Compare that to some runners from third world countries that do not have access to anything like that, some are lucky just to have a pair of trainers, so is there much difference?

I know its not a direct comparison but it certainly made me think. At the moment I'm undecided.
  • Big athletics fan, and huge admirer of Pistorius. A role model for all and have nothing but respect for his committment determination and application.

But he should not be able to run against able bodied athletes. Not enough is known on what advantage the blades could give.
  • Big athletics fan, and huge admirer of Pistorius. A role model for all and have nothing but respect for his committment determination and application.

But he should not be able to run against able bodied athletes. Not enough is known on what advantage the blades could give.
    If they give that much of an advantage can you see able bodied athlete's having their legs amputated to reach the top of their game? If the answer is no I say let him compete.
  • Big athletics fan, and huge admirer of Pistorius. A role model for all and have nothing but respect for his committment determination and application. But he should not be able to run against able bodied athletes. Not enough is known on what advantage the blades could give.
    Totally agree with this.

Totally agree, AFKA.
  • Top fella, braver than brave. But he should not run against able bodied athletes.
  • Paralympics only. There is no way of knowing what advantage he has.
  • Tough one. My understanding is that basically not enough is known about the effects of his blades. It seems that it gives him a potential advantage on the straights but makes his starts slower, it more difficult on the bends and in the wet. How that all stacks up is still being debated BUT from his point of view he can only do his job and let others argue the toss and if the rules allow him to compete then you can only admire and support the bloke unitl they say otherwise.

As far as I'm aware none of his competitors have come out and stated that he shouldn't be running and that's goods enough for me tbh.

• I see the potential problem here being that it might be deemed by authorities as okay................until he (or someone similar) actually wins something major, then we'll really find out who's okay with it.

• I agree that there is not enough information on the advantages that the blades provide.

Look at the other side of the coin from a more cynical point of view:

How long before some nation starts sending able-bodied athletes to the Paralympics and winning all the medals.

• Sponsored links:

• I'd like to enter the olympics using a mecanical aid.......................it's a motorcycle. C'mon Bolt, you feel lucky?
  • I'd like to enter the olympics using a mecanical aid.......................it's a motorcycle. C'mon Bolt, you feel lucky?
    by the time you kick started your bike he'd be over the horizon and far away
  • I agree that there is not enough information on the advantages that the blades provide.

How long before some nation starts sending able-bodied athletes to the Paralympics and winning all the medals.

No one would stoop that low.....Well, ok the Spanish.
  • The scientific opinion is that the levers give him no benefit over someone who is abled bodied, but personally I think he should be banned, an athlete should compete with the body he was given at birth. Could he compete in the high/long/triple jump on the same level playing field basis?
  • edited August 2011

I agree that there is not enough information on the advantages that the blades provide.

No one would stoop that low.....Well, ok the Spanish.

LOL - ok, that wasn't exactly the land of my ancestors' finest hour :o)
  • edited August 2011
    Big athletics fan, and huge admirer of Pistorius. A role model for all and have nothing but respect for his committment determination and application. But he should not be able to run against able bodied athletes. Not enough is known on what advantage the blades could give.
    I agree, albeit reluctantly. Oscar's admission to professional able bodied events, if allowed,  would be the thin edge of a very very large and potentially destructive wedge. Someone mentioned the possibility of an able bodied person voluntarily having his legs replaced with pogo style limbs in order to gain an athletic advantage ... errrrrr.... that would not surprise me in the least .. 
  • Whilst I think that it is great he is allowed to compete, and I doubt he gains much from the blades, i suspect there would be a lot more objections from other countries if he was likely to win a medal.
  • Does anyone know how his times compare to "able bodied" athletes?

I'm not sure if this is the same guy who I saw race against normal runners in a 100m race a year or so back. The one i did see was a fair bit off the pace to be honest but a lot can happen in the development side of the blades in 2 years.
  • I'm not sure if this is the same guy who I saw race against normal runners in a 100m race a year or so back. The one i did see was a fair bit off the pace to be honest but a lot can happen in the development side of the blades in 2 years.

If they're allowed to enter the triple jump I'm sure the blades will be developed in leaps and bounds. 

• Sponsored links:

I'm not sure if this is the same guy who I saw race against normal runners in a 100m race a year or so back. The one i did see was a fair bit off the pace to be honest but a lot can happen in the development side of the blades in 2 years.

That sums it up - you should be out training and working on the limbs and body you are born with, to win a medal because someone has improved the performance of the blades is pushing the rules a bit. I admire his bravery, tenacity and desire to overcome the loss of his legs, but if he wins a medal who should collect it? Pistorius or the team behind the development of his prosthetic legs?

• in the semi's
  • Looks like I am in the minority here, I am a total admirer of those people who against huge adversity manage to compete and contribute. Unless he sticks a motor up his backside, I am with him all the way.
  • in the semi's

didn't qualify for the final. I thought that Pistorius had lost his legs as a younger man, in fact he was born with 'boneless legs' and has had artificial lower limbs all his life.

Undoubtedly brave and single minded, I still consider his admission to the world championships was a mistake. Yes he will give hope to disabled and  disadvantaged young people and children, however, if athletes with prosthetic limbs are allowed to compete against able bodied athletes, will it soon be acceptable for drug dependant athletes to take (e.g.) stimulants or beta blockers during competitions and if so how will their 'drug needs' be assessed?. It's a tricky and complicated subject

• Looks like I am in the minority here, I am a total admirer of those people who against huge adversity manage to compete and contribute. Unless he sticks a motor up his backside, I am with him all the way.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that, it's exactly why we have the paralympics.
  • no need to worry about it now , he wont win medals so let him run, he would be better off competing against other people with disabilities but if he feels he can compete against able bodied then let him do that
  • well done oscar hope to see him make a final , its harder for him to run three races over a able bodied athlete so its going to be hard but what a sportsmen
  • He was a bit touchy when interviewed by the BBC about whether he thought he might be considered an embarrassment. I thought it was a reasonable question and to add context they had previously said what an inspiration he is.

I admire the fella (here it comes) BUT an able-bodied athlete would not be allowed to enter with carbon-fibre springs attached to his legs. So I feel he should stick to the paras.

Alternatively why not let wheelchair users compete in the main Olympics against able-bodied athletes? You'd never see an able-bodied athlete win the marathon again because the top wheelchair athletes are half an hour quicker (hard to believe but true). So that is why there are separate games.

One problem with the paralympics though is that it can never be a level playing field because the disabilities vary in severity.

• edited September 2011
    He may be getting an advantage or he may be at a disadvantage - the problem is that there is no way of knowing. What if somebody discovers that a slight adjustment to his blades could make him go faster - well he would be going faster for the wrong reason. It sounds very hard becasue he deserves the utmost respect for his achievements but I feel because he has to adopt a totally different technique and rely on equipment nobody else can, that he shouldn't be able to compete against people not wearing the blades.